Pre-season

Pre-season

Probable board member
Probable board member

July 24th, 2012, 10:51 pm #1

Seems the two Runcorn clubs have taken slightly diff approaches the pre-season this year, Town seem to be playing lower quality teams and destroying them in the last couple of weeks - where as Linnets are playing higher standard teams currently.
Sure works for both teams, but interesting which team has a stronger start to the season as a result

Probable board member
Probable board member

July 25th, 2012, 1:02 am #2

i would say linnets results have been the most impresive , but you can't read too much into pre season games , it will only matter when that whistle is blown in august ,

Ste Biggy
Ste Biggy

July 25th, 2012, 8:34 am #3

Seems the two Runcorn clubs have taken slightly diff approaches the pre-season this year, Town seem to be playing lower quality teams and destroying them in the last couple of weeks - where as Linnets are playing higher standard teams currently.
Sure works for both teams, but interesting which team has a stronger start to the season as a result
We were discussing this at last nights match, is it better to play a team 3 leagues higher and win 1-0 or even lose one or two nil but have a damn good workout, or smash teams much weaker than you 8 or 9 nil and get the goals flowing.

Without sounding biased I prefer Linnets way of doing it, but I open to reasons against! Its an interesting one.

Probable board member
Probable board member

July 25th, 2012, 9:47 am #4

i dont think there's a right or wrong way of doing pre-season. colwyn bay and skem are playing linnets from a lower league.
its all about fitness really i think and chance to try players out with a view to signing etc.

Probable board member
Probable board member

July 25th, 2012, 10:47 am #5

Pre season is about fitness, new lads getting to know each other and allowing games for trialists.
Results mean nothing. The old Runcorn FC used to play league teams, even Premier league teams and would often pull off a result. people got giddy ahead of the season, only to face a Conference relegation battle.
The only benefit of playing a big known side is the gate reciepts.

Town Fan
Town Fan

July 25th, 2012, 11:30 am #6

got to admit and say i cant quite understand why we have played sush poor quality teams this pre season you dont achieve anything putting 8-9 goals past weaker teams. Saturday is a very good friendly to have , Bala nearly qualified for europe last season so will be interesting to see the quality of their team

Town Fan
Town Fan

July 25th, 2012, 11:30 am #7

Pre season is about fitness, new lads getting to know each other and allowing games for trialists.
Results mean nothing. The old Runcorn FC used to play league teams, even Premier league teams and would often pull off a result. people got giddy ahead of the season, only to face a Conference relegation battle.
The only benefit of playing a big known side is the gate reciepts.
got to admit and say i cant quite understand why we have played sush poor quality teams this pre season you dont achieve anything putting 8-9 goals past weaker teams. Saturday is a very good friendly to have , Bala nearly qualified for europe last season so will be interesting to see the quality of their team

Probable board member
Probable board member

July 25th, 2012, 1:47 pm #8

Chadderton are a North West Counties League Division One , a league Town were in some 15 months back.

Confirmation of reply: