Matty McGinn

Matty McGinn

runcorn fan
runcorn fan

February 9th, 2005, 11:30 am #1

Going to Southport for free after the 19th February. Why do we always let are best players go for free, when we could have got 3k for him the other week? Another piece of bad business. I can't see us staying up now and with dumb and dumber in charge the only way is down.

R.I.P Runcorn fc

Peter Carroll
Peter Carroll

February 9th, 2005, 4:47 pm #2

FAO Runcorn Fan,

I am somewhat intrigued about your assertion that a £3k fee was missed regarding Matty. I assume you are talking about the Southport connection? Without going through specifics as far as I'm aware there was no money offer on the table for the Runcorn player. An offer from Runcorn for Lee Mulvaney was accepted by the Sandgrounders and permission given to speak to the player. A swap deal involving Mulvaney and McGinn was ruled out by Alvin McDonald, I believe because he was looking to build a team with these type of players, rather than 'demolish' his chances of doing so. Any forward looking manager would be doing the same. I cannot see it being classed as 'bad business' by either manager. Lee Mulvaney at that time chose not to come to Runcorn, preferring shall I say to keep his options 'open'.

The 'swap' as you can see may well come about, sooner rather than later [summer], as you say.

Yours in sport,

Pop Carroll.

runcorn fan
runcorn fan

February 9th, 2005, 6:47 pm #3

True Peter, but Liam Watson stated in an interview that he had offered £3000 for McGinn a month or so ago. We turned it down although LW said he would join in the summer for free anyway! Im not having a go just saying we should have cashed in on a player who didn't want to be at the club.

Regards.

Peter Carroll
Peter Carroll

February 9th, 2005, 7:50 pm #4

Without appearing to be pedantic I can only reaffirm what I said - there was never any cash offer for McGinn.
A player swap - McGinn/Mulvaney was proposed but rejected by Alvin. You have to make your own mind up - there's nothing more to say on the subject.

Yours in sport,

Pop Carroll.

Colin (NVFC)
Colin (NVFC)

February 9th, 2005, 10:54 pm #5

I don`t know the lad Mcginn but he seems well thought off. If he states that he will be leaving in the summer why not do buisness now? I feel that Alvin left us under a cloud and also you but when I read Pop Carroll writing about this and that, I am so happy we sacked the pair of them. Yes, nice people maybe but out of thier depth under any Conference banner. It is said they lost the dressing room at Vics and also at Runcorn but that is not a major issue, what is, is who can they attract? Normally every manager will leave one good signing but not Alvin and Peter.
Good luck to you both and Runcorn in general I hope it works out. For Alvin if the Unibond or West Cheshire is where you are strong stay there and be successfuland happy.

Ste Biggy
Ste Biggy

February 10th, 2005, 3:27 pm #6

Looks like Southport will lose out on Matty. In the weekly news today it says a division 2 side are looking likely to sign him.

All the best matty, you deserve it.

Peter Carroll
Peter Carroll

February 10th, 2005, 4:26 pm #7

I don`t know the lad Mcginn but he seems well thought off. If he states that he will be leaving in the summer why not do buisness now? I feel that Alvin left us under a cloud and also you but when I read Pop Carroll writing about this and that, I am so happy we sacked the pair of them. Yes, nice people maybe but out of thier depth under any Conference banner. It is said they lost the dressing room at Vics and also at Runcorn but that is not a major issue, what is, is who can they attract? Normally every manager will leave one good signing but not Alvin and Peter.
Good luck to you both and Runcorn in general I hope it works out. For Alvin if the Unibond or West Cheshire is where you are strong stay there and be successfuland happy.
I am so glad that my messages are of benefit to you in making up your mind about Alvin McDonald and me not being your 'cup of tea' so to speak. But may I continue.
I thought this thread was on the Matty McGinn scenario and not on any speculation or whatever you may wish to call it, regarding Alvin McDonald's brief spells at Northwich Vics and Runcorn.
For the record Matty McGinn didn't say he was going to Southport whether in the summer or not, the Southport manager did. For the sake of repeating myself yet again, Alvin McDonald wanted to sign Mulvaney AND to keep McGinn and did not want to get involved in a swap deal that was proposed and for the sake of repetition no money was offered at that time. Surely it is the duty of a manager at any level for the benefit of the club he serves to endeavour to keep his better/preferred players? Yes, encourage them to go higher and improve but it has to be the right decision for the club too. It seems that with Lee Mulvaney now having arrived at Runcorn, at least until the summer, McGinn is likely to go the other way sooner rather than later probably as an exchange. That happens in football.
I also disagree with you about 'losing a dressing room' not being a major issue. It is an important matter!
But not pleasing one or two players is something completely different than total disharmony and disaffection.
To take up your point about attracting players being a more important aspect. Without rankling one or two people about the Vauxhall Motors well beaten drum, you fail to realise players like Cumiskey, Fearns and Lynch [now Southport], Haddrell [who was later transferred to Macclesfield] were all McDonald signings. Danny Collins' development on loan from Chester was trusted to VMFC by Mark Wright and nurtured whilst under his [Alvin's] wing and he made his full international debut for Wales last night! That may not be too significant in your eyes but you can also recall a certain Gregg Blundell under McDonald's tutelage being signed by the Vics. Phil Brazier also an ex VMFC player I feel didn't do too badly at the Vics last season [and yes I understand he was allowed to leave] and I feel sure the Vics fans thought likewise. Conference North will you not agree is a restructured League made up from last year's Unibond Premier and Dr. Marten's Premier? Vauxhall's finished second and third in respective seasons at Unibond Premier level, which now underpins Conference National. Some of Alvin's players are still at Vauxhalls and others have left who are still very much plying their trade at Conference North.
Furthermore your point about leaving players behind can I remind you Andy Ralph was brought to the Vics and he is still there. Both he and Kieron Charnock [the Chairman persuaded by Alvin to be put on contract at the club although not originally signed by him] have been in Paul Fairclough's National squads.
Jimmy Turner was brought to Runcorn and given his chance and immediately after our departure Farnborough Town in the Conference National and [I'm led to believe Morecambe too] thought well enough of him to offer him a contract and he has since gone there.

To conclude this protracted response, I appreciate that Alvin and I in your eyes may be nice people and whilst I am flattered to read that, I cannot readily accord with your other perceptions which I have tried to address.
If my perspective of your points is wrong then so be it.
I have moved on and like Alvin I'll lose little sleep, if any, about it.

Ste Biggy
Ste Biggy

February 10th, 2005, 11:21 pm #8

Peter you and Alvin were loved at Runcorn and I still wish you were here now. Every fan thought the world of you and Alvin.

Steve Soley said that he has the respect of the players, that is because he is one of their mates and not an authority figure.

May I ask you a bold question, if the situation came up, would you and Alvin return to Runcorn as managers?

Peter Carroll
Peter Carroll

February 11th, 2005, 12:41 pm #9

Thank you very much for your complimentary remarks. It is pleasant to see that our efforts were appreciated by you, and other supporters that have posted on here. I'll pass them on to Alvin when I next speak to him.

Your question about returning to Runcorn is a hypothetical one as the club have a new incumbent. Without being drawn too much on the matter my own view is there is a well used cliche 'you never say never' and that applies equally to football as it does to most things.

Thanks once again,

Yours in sport,

Pop Carroll.

Simon
Simon

February 11th, 2005, 4:16 pm #10

You state the club has a new "Incumbent", I think the work you actually mean is a new "Incompitent".

Confirmation of reply: