Is it time to show support to Runcorn Town?

Is it time to show support to Runcorn Town?

Runcorn Home and Away
Runcorn Home and Away

September 21st, 2009, 8:26 am #1

Given that results arent happening on the pitch and a lot of fans are angered at the manager.
Given that the club doesnt seem to be attracting sponsors.
Given that gates are dropping.
Given that the direction of the club seems to be stagnant and a lot of reliance is now on the link with the Council.

Is it time we rallied behind Runcorn Town?

At the end of the day, the only thing that links us to the old Runcorn FC, is the fact that about 90 fans from the old club watch Runcorn Linnets.
Yes we play in green and yellow, but thats were the links stop.

Runcorn Town have alarge number of ex Runcorn FC supporters in their ranks and on the terraces. The club plays its games in Runcorn and has a great little social club that is always full after games.

If Runcorn Linnets supporters started watching Runcorn Town, would they notice much difference other than a few different (but not new) faces on the terraces?
It would soon feel like our club, even more, given that the clubs playing its games in Runcorn. Right on our doorstep rather than 15 miles away in Northwich.

Deano
Deano

September 21st, 2009, 11:03 am #2

I would argue that is just a very easy thing to do, I dont mean jump ship for a better option rather more choosing to watch a completely new team just because things are not 100% rosy on our side. I wish Runcorn Town all the success and hope they do as well as they can, I watched Si Burton for many a year playing with our kid and have nothing but positives to say about him as a person and player. As manager hope he gets the team playing in NWCFL as he alone is far too good even at his age now to be playing in the west Cheshire league.
In comparison to choosing sides, what if the Linnets moved to the new ground, had a great run of victories and momentum in our favour, would Town fans be saying this is terrible watching 2nd division NWCFL should we watch the Linnets for the same price against better teams?
This is a time when fans should be sticking by the club who has worked tirlessly to bring the team from the wilderness back to Runcorn.
Not matter what differing opinions people have the common goal should just be getting behind the club, rather than personal agenda.
I know I am new to the club but with the passion and interest shown on these forums alone this club ahs the foundations and access to the support to get the team playing at a higher level. I am sure Man City fans found it very hard 10 years ago watching their team of such history to be playing third tier English football, they never jumped ship rather more supported their team through the hard times and are now reaping the rewards ( Apart from yeserday ).
It would be a great story and chapter of the town of Runcorn to get back playing in the Town with a team to be proud off.
I would disagree Cowboy about tribalisms and chosing sides as that is another aspect of football is attachment and i certanly couldnt play or watch my local Sunday rival never mind cross sides at semi pro / Pro level.
Anyway trying to talk sensible here so no personal attacks or threats needed, i cant be arsed getting into that.

Tufty
Tufty

September 21st, 2009, 11:30 am #3

Deano, in the past there has never been a rivalry between Runcorn Fc and other teams in the town, mainly due to the large gulf between the teams.
Runcorn Fc folded a few years back and during that period since, Runcorn Linnets has been formed by fans of the old club.
Since Runcorn FC left Runcorn, Runcorn Town have developed as a club, changing its name from the previous Mond Rangers. At one time, Mond Rangers were 2nd fiddle to Gen Chems. The old Runcorn FC played Gen Chems once a season in a charity game, taking it in turn to host the game and a cup was competed for. This is somethng that Runcorn Linnets have missed out on by not playing these games and they should be resumed.

Hindsight is great, but when Runcorn Fc left Canal Street, the fans should have then set up their own new club. It would have been easy to have formed a club at pavillions, even taking some of the old stands/fencing etc from Canal Street and assembling it themselves.
The problem we had back then, was that to many people who spoke out about a move, simply followed the Docs plans and as a result, gave no forcful oppostion to the move, almost rubber stamping the Docs plans.

Far to much time passed for the club as an exiled club, to build up a return to the town. The day the club left Widnes should have been the day it sought a return to Runcorn, not moving further away from the town.
The new club probably came about far to quick and as a result was exiled out in Witton.

What fans have to remember now, is the old days are gone and the club will never get back up to the level of being a top 4 non-league side.
The local rivals are now Runcorn Town, both on and off the pitch.
As Ive said before, the better way forward would have been for both clubs to merge, as they offer a lot more as one joint club than two clubs fighting against each other.
It doesnt suprise me that a lot of people have drifted to Runcorn Town. Its a cheaper alternative and games are played in Runcorn. The difference in the league is marginal and Runcorn Town play more entertaining football with a better win rate.

As stated, hindsight is great, its a pity we cant go back in time.

urkey
urkey

September 21st, 2009, 11:53 am #4

Nail on the head tufty, town had there chamce to attract supporters of the old club when the old club moved to widnes, the name change was a good start they then maybe should have looked into getting into nwcl back then instead of now, maybe they would have attracted more than the few they have, but who am i to say?
I dont believe a merger would benefit either club, infact 2 teams playing decent semi pro football would be great for the town.

Deano
Deano

September 21st, 2009, 12:11 pm #5

I hear both sides Urky and Tufty and would agree with Urky, it would be great to have two teams in the same league, nothing like a good Derby match. It is similar to FC United in a way, there were many teams in Manchester that would have loved to have taken the FC United train into their club. Flixton, Trafford, Salford to a name a few, they would have an existing stadium they could redevelop, a bit of history and putting money back into local football ( they have given a lot of money to NWCFL teams in gates). The reason they didnt merge is that they are a seperate entity and being such did not want to, it would have lost its impetus to do so. I think that is the same with the Linnets and Town.

Also if im honest and this is not disrepecting town as their pre season clearly shown they are ready for counties, the league are a huge difference in gulf. I play in the lancashire league, and Machester prem for years which if not the same manchester prem probably more comepetaive than the west cheshire and the standard is very different. The one thing Town have in their favour is that they are winning and Linnets are very indifferent.

I dont thing it is any good fans saying is it time to support Town now rather than linnets as if this was the case you should have done this two years ago rather than now. The new stadium will not mean sucess but it will mean the team are back in Runcorn and that will be the team can do itself full justice. The club just rent now but in your own stadium in your own town will mean a major push in the whole infrastucture of the club. I dont mean conference in four years bu certanly Unibond bound.

david dutton
david dutton

September 21st, 2009, 12:17 pm #6

Nail on the head tufty, town had there chamce to attract supporters of the old club when the old club moved to widnes, the name change was a good start they then maybe should have looked into getting into nwcl back then instead of now, maybe they would have attracted more than the few they have, but who am i to say?
I dont believe a merger would benefit either club, infact 2 teams playing decent semi pro football would be great for the town.
back in the mists of the 50's there were some very good sides in runcorn apart from runcorn fc, runcorn athletic with the redican brothers, runcorn amateurs (pitch down percival lane), gen chems in the 50's 60's had some great sides too. there was a healthy soccer pyramid in the town when we had a population of approx 26,000, its about three times more now so there is plenty of room for good healthy competition.....and i feel it will spur both clubs on.....history will eventually tell us which club will eventually have the upper hand. good luck to both clubs

Tony
Tony

September 21st, 2009, 1:11 pm #7

Depends what you mean by healty competition and healthy soccer pyramid.
The days of any team getting over 500 fans are long gone, unless they pull a major cup tie. Thats with a population of 140,000.

You get more people these days sat in Pavillions on a Saturday afternoon watching live Prem games than you do at Linnets and Town combined and thats just one social club in the town. Any Prem game you want is now available live online. thats what people want and thats what the kids want.
The people of Runcorn never turned out to watch Conference Football or to go to Wembley. We didnt get massive gates post 1980 when we pulled a league club in the FA Cup.

Would have been interesting if Runcorn Linnets was formed when the old club left Canal Street, what fans would have went where. Where would the new club would be now?

Deano
Deano

September 21st, 2009, 1:33 pm #8

Tony you are right in the kids, they are the fans you want to attract but has always been difficult as this level as they only want the prem fro their idols and dont really know what local football is all about apart from our odd few like Sammy P and Slasher who are qualiy lads and the future of loyal supporters.
Glossop did well last year, it seemed as though they had an army of football fans of school age and they were right into the atmosphere!
Hopefully when the team get back into Runcorn it maybe something they will be able to target in the schools. We could run coaching clinics in schools and promotion days! Warrington Wolves used to give season tickets for U16's called wolf packs for £10 a season and that was over 15 years ago. Rather than offer free support maybe something like £20 season tickets for the linnets, or junior half price admission accomponied by an adult season ticket holder.

FALLON
FALLON

September 21st, 2009, 1:53 pm #9

An interesting and sensible posting on DYPAM with not a hint of swearing or slagging off? Whatever next!

To throw in my two pennies worth, I am not advocating any Linnets supporter to start abandoning Linnets and start watching Town. If they want to do of their own accord then they would be welcomed down there but it should be up to the individual concerned.

To give my background to those who dont know (thinking Deano here), I watched Runcorn from the age of about nine and got involved in the club its latter years at Canal Street as steward and on the gate. I followed the team to Widnes, again staying involved behind the scenes, but when they moved to Prescot that was the final straw for me as it was becoming a nomadic club moving further and further away from home.

This coincided with the same pre-season when Mond Rangers changed their name to Runcorn Town. I saw it in the press and went down to a committee meeting to see why they done it, what the plans were etc. As non-league football is my scene, I was "sold the vision" so to speak which was that they wanted to move move the club from what had for years being a local club to one that could compete in NWCL and further in the next five years. To address Urkey's point about the club should have gone for NWCL years ago, it was always the intention but as I think you appreciate now, it is not something that can be done overnight (unless you are a millionaire or something)!

I still helped out Alan Jones in what proved to be Runcorn's last year at Prescot and did all secretarial duties when he was away / unavailable etc. Linnets was then born and I followed from afar, something I still do to this day. I wish Linnets all the best, have a lot of friends there but the club I followed for years folded at Prescot. I am firmly a Runcorn Town man now.

I would never want Runcorn Linnets / Town to merge. Everything is coming together at Town and there is no reason I see that we will not be in NWCL1 next season. Two clubs in the same league will be healthy and if done correctly, can raise the profiles of both clubs together. If Town do go up next season, we could get Linnets in the Vase, Cheshire Senior or League Cup, and hopefully not too long after in the league in NWCLP. How good would a proper derby match be? (Incidentally David, can you ever recall a proper derby match in the town? Maybe the old Northern Prem / Cheshire League days? What was it like if you can?)

This incidentally is why Town wont play Linnets in a friendly... because I want the first meeting between the two clubs to mean something and not be wasted on a friendly. Like it or not Runcorn Town are not simply Mond Rangers with a different name, and the aim down there is not just to go up to NWCL but to compete and challenge for honours in NWCL.

Runcorn for me is a town of 60,000 people plus, with thousands more on the outskirts (Widnes, Liverpool, Frodsham / Helsby way) and if the local area cannot sustain two decent non-league teams then there is something wrong.

Yes Tony the old club never attracted the supporters to Canal Street but I personally dont think they did enough to attract them. The days of "put on a match and they will show up" like the late 70s dont exists any more, and promotions have to be in place like Deano says to attract the kids (and their families) in to the club. At the minute, Town cant do that in the West Cheshire League and Linnets cant do that playing in Northwich. Both will (hopefully) be playing NWCL in Runcorn next season.

In my opinion... exciting times ahead for both clubs!

Cowboy
Cowboy

September 21st, 2009, 2:00 pm #10

back in the mists of the 50's there were some very good sides in runcorn apart from runcorn fc, runcorn athletic with the redican brothers, runcorn amateurs (pitch down percival lane), gen chems in the 50's 60's had some great sides too. there was a healthy soccer pyramid in the town when we had a population of approx 26,000, its about three times more now so there is plenty of room for good healthy competition.....and i feel it will spur both clubs on.....history will eventually tell us which club will eventually have the upper hand. good luck to both clubs
I think you're right, David. Competition is healthy. Perhaps had the competition been there before Runcorn FC might have risen from the coma it went into after relegation from the top flight of non league.

As mentioned elsewhere the town has never supported the club in the way it hoped. Even in 1982, Runcorn FC picked up the Conference trophy in front of just 1400 against Trowbridge. Barely 3000 went to Wembley in 93 and 94. It's not just a Runcorn thing though...where I live now the boroughs that make up Rochdale, Bury and Oldham have over 750,000 people and those three league clubs scrape an average of 10,000 BETWEEN THEM!!!

If they cut their cloth accordingly there is no reason why both clubs shouldn't be successful. Each will survive off a hardcore home and away combined with a floating pool of fans who will go to both. Some people just like to see a good game of football without having to indulge in the passion that goes with being brought up with a club in your veins. I'll be honest with you all...that passion I had for Runcorn FC and Liverpool FC hasn't been sustained with the Linnets. I'm upset when the Linnets lose, I'm happy when they win but long gone are the days when my teams getting beat (Runcorn or LIverpool) ruled my life. Maybe being able to see things dispassionately is why I've run into 'misunderstandings' with some people particularly the board who's hard work set up Runcorn Linnets.

When things are wrong (and not everything is) I guess it's difficult telling Daddy that his baby is ugly!!!

Confirmation of reply: