Bains of Fraserburgh

Bains of Fraserburgh

Mary Hays
Mary Hays

December 9th, 2009, 10:56 pm #1

My father, William Bain came to the states in the 1920's with his family from Fraserburgh, Scotland. His dad was William Morrison Bain and his mom was Isabella Ritchie. They had 10 children, all girls, except dad. They settled in Chicago. I would like to learn more about the family history over in Scotland. Any help would be appreciated!

James McKay
James McKay

December 11th, 2009, 1:47 am #2

Hi Mary,
I'm based over here in the Stirling area of Scotland. Silly as it may sound, Michelle, Scott and David are probably the folks you will get the main information from. They are more aware of the sources and websites to trace your forebears than I am. Fraserburgh is not the biggest place in the World, so I would imagine that would narrow your 'scope'. The local newspaper is 'The Press and Journal', it might not be a bad idea maybe dropping the Editor a line (or email) and asking him/her to place a request for you in their 'Letters Page'. Give them as much info as you can. The colloquial term for Fraserburgh is 'Broch' -' 'Bro' as in African/American 'Brother', - 'ch' as in 'Loch' (does that make sense??!!)
You can probably 'Google' 'Broch' and find out that it's a former Fishing Village along the Moray Firth and not TOO far from Aberdeen. Fishing 'by and large' is a 'busted flush' up in that area due to 'European Catch Quotas', overfishing and the British Government allowing every 'Tom, Dick and Harry to come in to our Territorial Waters and fish the place DRY!
It could be that your forebears were from the Fishing Community, what did they do when they hit 'The New World'?
My own Great Grandfather went to sea and landed on the 'Eastern Seaboard'. He sent over here for my Grandfather, his brother and two sisters. Leaving Great Granny here on her 'ownsome'!! The younger of the sisters, Annie, obviously had a change of heart and returned to her Mother, (my Grandfather, James McKay did'nt go) looking after her untill she died - and never marrying. Her brother Bill (McKay) settled in Penn. and had a Family. My Great Aunt Agnes settled in the Pleasantville area, (across the Causeway from Atlantic City) where she met a (lovely) guy called Robert Bucknam (Bud) and they raised a Family in that area. There's a lot of, who, what, why, where's that I could add to this 'American Tale', but I won't bore the pants off you!! Another of my Grandfathers' brothers went to New Zealand, where HE raised an EQUALLY big family! THEY are fiercely Scots and maintain links with the Family here.
I hope I have'nt 'gibbered' on too much and that I have been of SOME assistance to you. If I can assist in any way, (and that includes the Mackay Forum) then please give me a 'buzz'.
Yours Aye, Jim McKay

David R McKay
David R McKay

December 13th, 2009, 8:23 pm #3

Hello Mary, while I do not have information on the Bains, I am so excited to hear from another family from Fraserburgh. I have been there and have done quite a lot of research on the Broch. My great grandfather was born there in 1813. I have searched for more than 60 years trying to find information about his family. To date my success has been very little. I have posted on every board looking for Fraserburgh McKays or Mackays, but never had had an answer. If you can give me some or your ancestors names I can check the census to see if I can find any information. Also we have many Bains in Clan Mackay USA. You may want to contact our Sheanachaidh and Genealogist Ken Bain email: klbain@sbcglobal.net. Our National Vice President is Mark Bain. Mark is also from Scotland. Both of these gentlemen are listed under the executive page of this WEB site.

Thanks also to Jim McKay for his comments. He has a great knowledge of Scotland

It may be less of a hastle if we corresponded by private E-mail. I am also listed in the executive page as Immediate Past President.

Let me hear from you.

David McKay
Past President Clan Mackay USA