NEW CNA/HOME HEALTH AIDE

NEW CNA/HOME HEALTH AIDE

Paula Baker
Paula Baker

October 23rd, 2008, 12:19 am #1

Hi everyone,

I just obtained my CNA in FL 2 months ago. My first job was in an assisted living for $9 hour. I was taking care of 15 patients in a private AL mainly worked with AH residents. They had very unstable working conditions to say the least. You could never tell from the outside. There was finally a fire because the outlets were not covered, LSS and all residents were evacuated. I had just been put over to the other side with the other residents and taken out of Memory Care because I stated that I would also like to try working this side. It was not available at the time of hire. LSS, the fire left no injuries but the AH resident....I hate to say what would have happened if it did not happen around noon. Patient already up in wheelchair. Seems that it was a faulty outlet. The first day I arrived the lady that hired me was gone and 5 CNAs had been let go....bbb...They really liked me, but CNAs kept leaving. I passed my test and gave a 2-week notice on good terms. I was never so tired and broke my back helping so many residents, esp when they put more on us after the fire. I heard that management had changed in the last year and if she didn't like you....you were out.....Well, I could not take much more of this constant running and heavy load.

So I left and started applying....all the sudden no ads int the paper etc. I applied at 3 places with no luck or calls. I am now doing home health...just started with Granny Nannies....no benefits....$10 an hour...boy though what a difference. My problem now is staying in the area and getting enough hours. So far, I just started as a fill in today for 4 hours and got 16 hours now closer to my house....I like this a lot better...Its just finding a company down the road with hours and benefits. I will have to see how it goes. I am 47 with 3 teenage boys and married 20 years, haha. I have read some of your emails. I have not read much about home health. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Shelley
Shelley

October 23rd, 2008, 10:21 am #2

Where in Florida? I am in the Bradenton area and just got my CNA back in May. I am working in a nursing home facility and I love it. You are right there is not much out there anymore in the ads for jobs. Good luck.

Paula
Paula

October 23rd, 2008, 10:28 pm #3

Hi Shelley.....I used to live in Sarasota for 30 years! I am in Palm Harbor, FL. I still have family in Sarasota....2 sisters, brother, dad, nephews. I love this work too, as it is rewarding. I have done many different jobs with 3 kids..part time/sometimes full time...with a professional corporate husband when we married. Six years ago, he lost his job after 20 years with his company and could not find work...so we bought a tanning salon with his retirement package....Its now been 5 years, business is down, and we are not doing well at all, like most americans. Im hoping to get busy fast and just see how it goes.... Paula

Shelley
Shelley

October 23rd, 2008, 11:01 pm #4

Hi Paula, Things have been tough here also. We almost lost our condo do to my job loss earlier this year, that is when I took the CNA course.I love my job and that makes it great, the pay is lees than what I use to make at my other job but you get use to it.The economy is tough and there are not many jobs out there to be had. My husband has been looking for something better but it is not looking good. I just thank God that we both have a job that at least keeps a roof over our heads. Take care.

October 24th, 2008, 11:27 am #5

Hi everyone,

I just obtained my CNA in FL 2 months ago. My first job was in an assisted living for $9 hour. I was taking care of 15 patients in a private AL mainly worked with AH residents. They had very unstable working conditions to say the least. You could never tell from the outside. There was finally a fire because the outlets were not covered, LSS and all residents were evacuated. I had just been put over to the other side with the other residents and taken out of Memory Care because I stated that I would also like to try working this side. It was not available at the time of hire. LSS, the fire left no injuries but the AH resident....I hate to say what would have happened if it did not happen around noon. Patient already up in wheelchair. Seems that it was a faulty outlet. The first day I arrived the lady that hired me was gone and 5 CNAs had been let go....bbb...They really liked me, but CNAs kept leaving. I passed my test and gave a 2-week notice on good terms. I was never so tired and broke my back helping so many residents, esp when they put more on us after the fire. I heard that management had changed in the last year and if she didn't like you....you were out.....Well, I could not take much more of this constant running and heavy load.

So I left and started applying....all the sudden no ads int the paper etc. I applied at 3 places with no luck or calls. I am now doing home health...just started with Granny Nannies....no benefits....$10 an hour...boy though what a difference. My problem now is staying in the area and getting enough hours. So far, I just started as a fill in today for 4 hours and got 16 hours now closer to my house....I like this a lot better...Its just finding a company down the road with hours and benefits. I will have to see how it goes. I am 47 with 3 teenage boys and married 20 years, haha. I have read some of your emails. I have not read much about home health. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi I'm in Tampa. I've been a CNA for over 30yrs. 21 (almost 22) at Tampa General Hospital. You guys might try and apply to the hospitals near you. It's a whole different world working in a hospital. The pay and benefits are better. Most of them will pay for you to go to school. From what I read on this board working conditions are way better. Just a thought
Mary

Shelley
Shelley

October 24th, 2008, 7:47 pm #6

Hi Mary, I am in Bradenton and I work in a Nursing facility. The place is wonderful. I have no problem with my benefits..yes pay could be alittle better but that is usually the problem everywhere. The nurses that i work with are great as well as the aides. I lucked out and found a good place to work.