Have you ever been assaulted at work?

Have you ever been assaulted at work?

Pam
Pam

August 11th, 2009, 4:50 pm #1

Tell me your stories.

People do not realize how much the Nursing staff can become victims of abuse. Often, it goes under reported because the abusers are suffering in some way and we are supposed to "deal with it". Tell me your situations, I would love to hear. I just read a link about ER Nurses getting assaulted on allnurses, and it made me want to ask this question. How many times have us CNA's been abused, especially if you work in an LTC?!

Pam
Pam

August 11th, 2009, 5:10 pm #2

Just for clarification, I mean being assaulted by your patients.

I used to have one patient who had severe alzheimers disease. He was a very, very strong man, and sometimes it would take 3 of us to get him up, change him & put him to bed. His family refused to allow the doctor to put him on meds that would calm him down. We endured abuse from this resident for 4 years. (we still loved him though) He sent several CNA's and 2 Nurses to the ER for punching them in the stomach and eye. He even got me once, but there was no need for me to go to the ER. What used to get me, was the DON would tell us to "deal" with it because he didn't know what he was doing.

Another situation was were a CNA was stabbed by a patient. This patient may not have been able to walk & he may have had alzheimers, but he was able to plan and execute this assault on the CNA. He decided to stab CNA as he collected his dinner tray! How about that!

Last situation is a bit extreme. We had a lady who faught anyone who tried to dress her. She was also a two person assist. One day, she punched a CNA in her breast so hard, she instantly bruised and eventually had to be taken to the ER because she was crying in severe pain. When she asked the DON what she was going to do, the DON said nothing. The resident was sick, so she had to "deal". Well, the CNA had enough and decided to call the cops and guess what? The cops came with an ambulance for the patient. Our LTC had to immediately ship this resident off to a "physch" ward and she was not allowed to return. She was considered a "threat". Hmmmm.....makes me wonder how many other assault cases probably should have been reported to the police instead of being ignored!

Drew
Drew

August 13th, 2009, 11:36 am #3

I have been assaulted at work A few years back the home I worked in we had a patient who had a long history of violent behavior beating his wife and kids, arrested for assault when he was younger. While I was transferring him he got a few good shots in to my solar plexus luckily I was able to hold on to him while transferring to his chair I complained about it I was told to deal with it and I am a " big guy" so I could handle a "good punch or two" Two days later he managed to get a choke hold one one of the nurses she spent three days in a coma. We were told due to mental status we could not get rid of him and we had to work around this problem

August 20th, 2009, 2:53 am #4

Tell me your stories.

People do not realize how much the Nursing staff can become victims of abuse. Often, it goes under reported because the abusers are suffering in some way and we are supposed to "deal with it". Tell me your situations, I would love to hear. I just read a link about ER Nurses getting assaulted on allnurses, and it made me want to ask this question. How many times have us CNA's been abused, especially if you work in an LTC?!
i have a male resident who had a stroke and is a marissa lift. in his 60's. every time i give him cares, her starts in verbally about my appearance and what he would like to do to me. if i approach him on his good side, he'll always attempt to crab my arm or brush his had against my breast. for awhile i told him to stop, that his comments were inappropriate. then one time he got very specific about what he wanted to do to me in words that were just too gross. i told the lpn, but later told the nurse manager because she puts her head in the sand half the time. i filled out a statement, and his wife was told about it as well as the social worker, who talked to him. it stopped for a short time, but then he started again. now i try to make no eye contact with him, stand on the side of the bed of his weak side so he can't grab for my breast and try to ignore him. it is frustrating, because i am not sure how much is his condition. he's not stupid and communicates well. we recently had an inservice on sexual harassment, and the way i understand it, we don't have to tolerate the behavior, and a resident can be asked to leave. but i don't see it happening here because the wife shows up every day and our nurse manager is not a strong advocate for us.

pam
pam

September 13th, 2009, 2:17 am #5

I think it's amazing what we healthcare staff are expected to endure. If these things happened to us on the streets the accused would be facing criminal charges and possibly prison. A complete double standard if you ask me. Now I understand the little old man with dementia shouldn't be arressted, but there are even more who are A & O x3 that get away with assault, and I don't think that's right!

Tami
Tami

September 14th, 2009, 6:11 am #6

i have a male resident who had a stroke and is a marissa lift. in his 60's. every time i give him cares, her starts in verbally about my appearance and what he would like to do to me. if i approach him on his good side, he'll always attempt to crab my arm or brush his had against my breast. for awhile i told him to stop, that his comments were inappropriate. then one time he got very specific about what he wanted to do to me in words that were just too gross. i told the lpn, but later told the nurse manager because she puts her head in the sand half the time. i filled out a statement, and his wife was told about it as well as the social worker, who talked to him. it stopped for a short time, but then he started again. now i try to make no eye contact with him, stand on the side of the bed of his weak side so he can't grab for my breast and try to ignore him. it is frustrating, because i am not sure how much is his condition. he's not stupid and communicates well. we recently had an inservice on sexual harassment, and the way i understand it, we don't have to tolerate the behavior, and a resident can be asked to leave. but i don't see it happening here because the wife shows up every day and our nurse manager is not a strong advocate for us.
If you feel like it is compromising who you are (meaning going against what you think is right and makes you feel violated) then you have every right to not tolerate this behavior!! If you recieve no help from the staff at your facility then go higher - to the state. If state won't help then go to the News stations. Abuse is unacceptable!!

Tami
Tami

September 14th, 2009, 6:16 am #7

Tell me your stories.

I feel so strongly that it is time for a change in the way verbal and physical abuse is handled against staff. I do not think we should have to compromise who we are. There has to be boundries for residents - we are staff but we are also still human beings and have rights too!! If your facilty has a union go to them. If not go to the managing staff. If they won't listen go to the state. If state won't listen go to the news channels!! I bet they will listen then!

Diane
Diane

September 30th, 2009, 5:45 pm #8

Tell me your stories.

you know these attorneys kinda tick me off when they say if u feel your family member was abused in a nursing home call us i wonder if that means us to. every day its something verbal physical i report all of it but because the residents have demencia or altsimers we dont have a leg to stand on you just have to walk away. i have been bitten finger nails dug into me kicked slapped and punched, enough is enough.

Pam
Pam

November 9th, 2009, 7:22 pm #9

Often times, we are forced to deal with things that we are not equipped to handle in an LTC. Many of the situations could be controlled if the patient is on the right psych meds..however not everyone agrees with "medicating" the resident for our convenience. I agree we should not medicate someone simply because they are getting on our nerves, but if they consistantly cause physical harm to the people that care for them a re-evaluation should be in order because: 1) The quality of care dramatically decreases for the resident 2) your safety is at risk-shouldn't you be safe at work? 3) No one should have "Recipient of constant Physical abuse" as part of their job description. It's wrong. Yes, a lawyer needs to get on TV to represent us. Most times neglect cases against staff occur due to a result of poor staffing.

geneva
geneva

December 2nd, 2009, 7:47 pm #10

Tell me your stories.

LOL, MORE TIMES THAN ONCE, now i have to fight for my rite to maintain as a nurse aid.......when we get abused they say" they have issues like we do:, or, maybe its because they angry for being here, family dont visit......you know, there were times when i could except that, but when you are one of there regular care givers on a regular basis, the excuses fade away. let me tell you why im fightn now..............ONE DAY I WAS WORKING WITH A RESIDENT THAT I HAD FOR A WEEK OR SO. WE WERE SHORT AS ALWAYS, 12-16(sorry bout caps) residents in not so well maintain facility that was always in threats to be closed down. well anyway, i knocked on the residence door ., told her who i am, why im there and what im there for(smiling); she said come on in. the resident was in bed, she had dementia but she knows who is good to her, and who isnt. so i prceeded to gather my stuff, then i walked over to her and asked,''' mrs......., which outfit you wanna wear this mornin"? she began to scream for her momma, i wasnt about to tell her(she no longer have a mom) come on, the resident was in her 70's or so, ok; anyway she screaming, im asking her to calm down, so she was crying real tears, so i went to the bathroom to get a wash cloth to wash the tears from her eyes, '''LO AND BEHOLD', THAT WOMEN KICKED ME IN MY STOMACHE ACROSS THE ROOM, I GOT UP AND HER SISTER WALKED IN AND SAW ME ABOUT TO LEAVE THE ROOM, her sister asked me,''Why she screaming, I told her, the girls say she always scream but they didnt tell me she was abusive', so all her sister said was, ill giver her her care now. i went to the office but the administratore was not in, so i went outside to take a smoke, i was telling the girls, and when i finished , i enter the fascility and was called to the office, '''COOL, NOW UMMA TELL THEM SO THEY CAN EVALUTE HER, GIVE ME SOMEONE ELSE, OR SEND HER OUT''..........NOT SO, I WAS ACCUSED OF UNPROFFESSIONAL CONDUCT IN THE PRESENCE OF A RESIDENT'''!, was reprimanded by board of nursing 7yrs ago, now im fighting back. So hunni, plz reconsider your attitude,actions, and friends, it may be your downfall...........take care beloved.