CPR for the CNA

CPR for the CNA

Lita
Lita

February 27th, 2007, 11:53 pm #1

I am currently taking my CNA course but I am curious to find out if I need a CPR course. If so, when do I need to have the certification by? Would it be before I take the State test or before I accept employment or maybe even after employment? I have checked with different people at my school and no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer. I hope someone here could help me out. If it helps, the state I will be licensed in is California.

coma
coma

February 28th, 2007, 12:37 am #2

about two weeks before my CNA training was supposed to be finished, we had to take a CPR course and turn in to the RN, so she can review it. the reason we had to take the course, not only will we need it for a job, was because we needed it before we had our week training in the nursing homes. the nursing home where we had training wanted the CNAs to have CPR. I took my CPR at my local community college. also, fire stations and red cross offered the courses.

March 6th, 2007, 5:50 am #3

I am currently taking my CNA course but I am curious to find out if I need a CPR course. If so, when do I need to have the certification by? Would it be before I take the State test or before I accept employment or maybe even after employment? I have checked with different people at my school and no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer. I hope someone here could help me out. If it helps, the state I will be licensed in is California.
Hi, I lived in CA and did Home Healthcare for Home Instead. It costme $60.00 for the "healthcare Provider" card, which included foreign body airway obstruction. I took my class at Grossmont Hospital. You could call the Red Cross, and see what they say. Or try any local community center. I know Save-a-Heart does classes also. Hope this helps, Lisa W.

Ajaxkid
Ajaxkid

March 8th, 2007, 7:39 pm #4

I don't believe it's a matter of "do I have to take CPR", but really, a matter of, "I SHOULD take CPR".
CPR is valuable beyond the workplace and is something everyone should just do!
You have a patient who is NOT a DNR and you walk in and find them unresponsive... what are you going to do? You are at home with the kids and one starts to choke... what are you going to do?
Without training, you are left vulnerable and fearful of certain life-threatening situations that may occur. CPR and first aid training is impowerment.
I'm sorry if I sound preachy, but these skills are valuable beyond measure. If you are in healthcare you definately should have them. We have lives in our hands, be we CNAs or doctors!

Diane
Diane

March 11th, 2007, 9:06 pm #5

You can try calling your local community college for CPR/Heartsaver classes, or your local Red Cross.