CNA with a complicated issue.

CNA with a complicated issue.

Ann
Ann

April 14th, 2012, 1:25 am #1

Hi,
I have been a CNA for over 2 years but have only worked as a HHA. I needed more stability and a steadier income so I applied at some nursing homes. I got hired at 2 places and went in for an interview for a 3rd. I REALLY wanted to work at the 3rd, due to its reputation. I went through the ODDEST interview EVER with #3. I was told to go home, mull it over, decide if I wanted to work there and call back with my decision and they would check my references. I OBVIOUSLY wanted to work there, since I applied there!!

I called first thing the next morning, said I would love to work there, left a message on the voicemail and heard nothing and they still haven't checked my references.

During the interview, I was told how the majority of people applying only care about money and not the people and so when it came down to "do you have any questions" I was afraid to ask about the pay rate. They didn't discuss how many hours they were hiring for, they didn't talk about benefits, holidays, vacation/sick pay, and it put me in a very awkward position. I asked about holidays, what was their policy, the answer was "well, if you're scheduled to work on a holiday then you work on a holiday".. I clarified that I meant that other facilities usually offer every other holiday, and then no response. They didn't volunteer any information about the pay rate, so I don't even know what I'd be offered. I mean, they didn't even tell me if you get breaks in an 8 hour shift.

This place has an outstanding reputation both locally and nationally, they RARELY hire, which is why I was so excited to even get an interview. I guess my question is, do I call them back on Monday AGAIN or does this put me in a bad spot? I feel stupid calling again, and yet, I do wonder why they didn't get back to me or check my references. I went to their website earlier and it boasts about how they offer exceptional pay, benefits, etc., etc., etc., so is it me or what??

In the meantime, I have 2 solid offers and one starts next week, the other starts the following week and they're both pretty even, so I am torn right now. Do I just say forget #3 and pick from the first 2?

April 14th, 2012, 12:26 pm #2

You have every right to inquire about pay, benefits and other related issues (shifts, holiday expectations etc) before accepting a job. No matter their reputation, the fact is people have to have info in order to make decisions.

I would call them on Monday and ask to speak with the person who interviewed you; tell them you have a high interest in working as a CNA, that you know this place has a good rep and low turnover...those are reasons you applied for the job. However, you also have a family to support so yes, you do need the nuts and bolts about pay and benefits. It's reasonable to ask.

If they don't give you this info, then their reputation isn't deserved. I wonder if they're under new management and this is a new trend folks will see with this place. I would not worry about passing an opportunity that may not really be there- this place will eventually suffer staffing problems for being so snooty with sharing the very reasons, the perks, of why people should work for them. Run the opposite direction if you don't get the info you need.

And tell everyone you know how terrible the process was when you tried to get a job there. Word of mouth is powerful.

Amy Garside
Amy Garside

May 14th, 2012, 8:47 am #3

Hi,
I have been a CNA for over 2 years but have only worked as a HHA. I needed more stability and a steadier income so I applied at some nursing homes. I got hired at 2 places and went in for an interview for a 3rd. I REALLY wanted to work at the 3rd, due to its reputation. I went through the ODDEST interview EVER with #3. I was told to go home, mull it over, decide if I wanted to work there and call back with my decision and they would check my references. I OBVIOUSLY wanted to work there, since I applied there!!

I called first thing the next morning, said I would love to work there, left a message on the voicemail and heard nothing and they still haven't checked my references.

During the interview, I was told how the majority of people applying only care about money and not the people and so when it came down to "do you have any questions" I was afraid to ask about the pay rate. They didn't discuss how many hours they were hiring for, they didn't talk about benefits, holidays, vacation/sick pay, and it put me in a very awkward position. I asked about holidays, what was their policy, the answer was "well, if you're scheduled to work on a holiday then you work on a holiday".. I clarified that I meant that other facilities usually offer every other holiday, and then no response. They didn't volunteer any information about the pay rate, so I don't even know what I'd be offered. I mean, they didn't even tell me if you get breaks in an 8 hour shift.

This place has an outstanding reputation both locally and nationally, they RARELY hire, which is why I was so excited to even get an interview. I guess my question is, do I call them back on Monday AGAIN or does this put me in a bad spot? I feel stupid calling again, and yet, I do wonder why they didn't get back to me or check my references. I went to their website earlier and it boasts about how they offer exceptional pay, benefits, etc., etc., etc., so is it me or what??

In the meantime, I have 2 solid offers and one starts next week, the other starts the following week and they're both pretty even, so I am torn right now. Do I just say forget #3 and pick from the first 2?
You have every right to ask about the benefits, pay rate and other work-related issues about the place. Being able to have asked about those issues would have given you a clearer idea of what the nursing home is like and how it's going to affect your career.
However, judging from your interview experience from that nursing home, they don't seem to be approachable and nice. Ask yourself if you really want to be working with those kinds of people. Work atmosphere is an important consideration when looking for a job.

If options 1 and 2 have solid offers that are not that far off from option 3, why not choose either one of the first two?

Brent
Brent

June 21st, 2012, 3:20 pm #4

Hi,

Why not drop in and try to speak with your interviewer again or someone in Human Resources? If not that, perhaps send a letter stating that you have two job offers but their facility is your first choice and would love to work there.

Karen
Karen

June 28th, 2012, 8:23 pm #5

Hi,

this seems to be a new hiring tactic of some nursing homes.

In my situation, it was a group interview. They kept asking us how we worked with people. I assured them I had good people skills. They kept us in the group interview for 2 hours, we watched a video about how the company was founded (totally irrelevant, in my opinion) then told us to come back later that evening for a two hour shift to "shadow" on a hall with an aide, to see if we liked the place or not. To me, this was asking for free work from applicants! I agreed, but only because I was still interested in working there at that point; so I returned later that evening, and helped out an aide on the hall for 2 hours. Then I informed the administrator I would be leaving, she said "I need you to come here at 5 in the morning and do some more shadowing in our Alzheimer's unit". I said NO. I don't get up that early in the morning unless I am ON THE PAYROLL. I told them I was available if they wanted to hire me, but would not be doing any more free work. I never heard back from them, of course.

As a CNA, you DO NOT HAVE to BEG anyone to hire you. The elderly population is exploding, and there currently aren't enough people who want to do these caretaking jobs. Once the economy improves even slightly, many CNAs will move to other career fields. There will be even greater demand for caretakers for the elderly.

Mary
Mary

July 2nd, 2012, 4:22 pm #6

Dude, You never said if you were a new cna. If you are then I think shadowing is a good thing. Most people are getting into nursing for the job stability. But, what I do is more than combing granny's hair and holding grandpa's hand. It can be disgusting ( vomit, urine, feces, spit, mucus (everywhere, yes..and on you). You will at some point be called names, spit on, have poop flung at you, scratched, hit. All while trying to help an old lady to bed. My job has few perks other than job security and the occasional "thank you for helping me", that happens like once a year. They want to see if you can stomach the smell of a colostomy bag or just a general bout of c-diff (both are distinct odors you wouldn't experience outside of healthcare); they want to know if you are worth hiring. I've oriented new cnas who had no idea what was ..did the class, exam, whole nine yards and just left during shift or never came back. It takes a strong person to care for the elderly..literally..heavy lifting is required. oh and sometimes grannys hitting you while you got her halfway between the wheelchair and the bed..but you cant just drop her. Proper lifting is out the door at that point...at some time in this job you will hurt your body. There is a reason there is job security...not many stick with it because it hurts..emotionally and physically exhausting. I've been at it 13 years and don't bother learning a new cnas name until they have been there 3 months. I totally get why they would have new fresh outta school aides just shadow for a couple days. I had to do the same thing before I started the class years ago; they had to see if I was really into it before they wasted money training me. It's a hard job and not everyone can do it.

If you aren't straight out of class, then I agree with you. Can't understand why they'd need you to shadow someone. If you are thinking they want you to work for free then do exactly what you are supposed to...just watch.

Karen
Karen

July 4th, 2012, 7:25 pm #7

No, I am not a brand new CNA and that would have been obvious if they had bothered to look at my resume.

They want people to shadow over and over again, because they want free help. They wanted me to shadow for two hours in the evening, then come back again at 5 o clock in the morning. Get real. Nobody gets up that early unless they are on the payroll. Sure, you can just "watch" but if you don't pitch in and help out, you have no chance in hell of getting hired; they know that and you know that. It is simply a way to manipulate people with the lure of getting the job, if they are willing to give some free work.

There are tons of businesses out there right now trying to get people to work for free, unpaid internships, etc. It is a crock of ****. You should get paid for the work you do, period.