Being a CNA is Hard Work!

Being a CNA is Hard Work!

May 21st, 2007, 3:37 am #1

I work as a nursing assistant in a small nursing & rehab center, about 160 patients. I don't even know where to start! First I would like to say I have been a CNA for 4 years now. It barely pays the bills. Not to mention my whole body hurts when I come home. I mainly work 7-3, and I feel this shift should get extra money because of all that is required. Many times we work with only 4 CNA's to a floor. This leaves us with 12-16 residents depending what floor your on. Each section has at least 4 showers, that we must give. How do they honostly expect us to monitor, change, feed wash and dress 16 residents in less than 6 hours? The families can sometimes be the worste. They do not care that we are understaffed and expect us to perform like robots and have thier loved ones up and dressed by 11 am. Again, how am I to do this with 16 patients in a few hours? Many times I do not even know the patient and they sometimes reaquire more time than others because they are there for rehab. Most nurses ignore the call lights and wait for you to finish with whomever you are with to tell you your needed in room such and such. There you will find, they waited 20 minutes for something as simple as a glass of water, or now they are a pissy poopy mess, because Miss Nurse was too good to walk them to the bathroom. This is neglect. Yet Mrs. Betty's bottom starts to break down, CNA's will more than likely take the blame for this. I get really tired of having to be super nurse. I respect the nurses and I understand they too are busy and they have thier own things that they are responsible for. However, we should work as a team to get things done more efficiently. The administration never staffs enough of us. This leads to neglect because you cannot properly care for someone head to toe in 10 minutes. It upsets me when we get reprimanded for doing the best we can. I realize these residents depend on us. However people need to understand all that we are responsible for in the small timeframe allotted. No lends a helping hand and they are quick to threaten us with our jobs. I am looking for a career change now because I honostly can't take the degradement in this profession. I love how i feel making someone else's life easier, but I can't take my job being threatened by everyone from family to staff simply because i can't be two places at once. does anyone else have these problems? Please tell me i am not alone. How do you cope?

jamie ann
jamie ann

May 21st, 2007, 4:11 am #2

i think that the 7-3 shift should get paid more also.. i worked it a couple of times and i thought it would kill me!! there is so much to do, and so many people on your case.. and then you have all of the administrators there as well. i like the 3-11 shift best myself.

Gail
Gail

May 21st, 2007, 4:45 am #3

I work as a nursing assistant in a small nursing & rehab center, about 160 patients. I don't even know where to start! First I would like to say I have been a CNA for 4 years now. It barely pays the bills. Not to mention my whole body hurts when I come home. I mainly work 7-3, and I feel this shift should get extra money because of all that is required. Many times we work with only 4 CNA's to a floor. This leaves us with 12-16 residents depending what floor your on. Each section has at least 4 showers, that we must give. How do they honostly expect us to monitor, change, feed wash and dress 16 residents in less than 6 hours? The families can sometimes be the worste. They do not care that we are understaffed and expect us to perform like robots and have thier loved ones up and dressed by 11 am. Again, how am I to do this with 16 patients in a few hours? Many times I do not even know the patient and they sometimes reaquire more time than others because they are there for rehab. Most nurses ignore the call lights and wait for you to finish with whomever you are with to tell you your needed in room such and such. There you will find, they waited 20 minutes for something as simple as a glass of water, or now they are a pissy poopy mess, because Miss Nurse was too good to walk them to the bathroom. This is neglect. Yet Mrs. Betty's bottom starts to break down, CNA's will more than likely take the blame for this. I get really tired of having to be super nurse. I respect the nurses and I understand they too are busy and they have thier own things that they are responsible for. However, we should work as a team to get things done more efficiently. The administration never staffs enough of us. This leads to neglect because you cannot properly care for someone head to toe in 10 minutes. It upsets me when we get reprimanded for doing the best we can. I realize these residents depend on us. However people need to understand all that we are responsible for in the small timeframe allotted. No lends a helping hand and they are quick to threaten us with our jobs. I am looking for a career change now because I honostly can't take the degradement in this profession. I love how i feel making someone else's life easier, but I can't take my job being threatened by everyone from family to staff simply because i can't be two places at once. does anyone else have these problems? Please tell me i am not alone. How do you cope?
i know exactly what your talking about.been there done that and still am doing it.i also work in a small nursing&rehab home,we are a 90 bed facility.i work the 3-11 shift and our shift is the best at our home.except for the minor few that likes to bitch(sorry about the langurage) because of the hall they are on.but we do have the best shift.day shift does not get along and they donot help each other,night shift is soo short,alot of the time there are 2 aides for 60 residents,which is not right or fair to all involved.but on our shift,we have 2 charge nurses thats awsome,they will answer the calls lights,one will do what she can for the resident then if there is something she cannot do(she is older) then if we are on a break she will come out to the cna in charge of the hall and say when your done with your break so and so needs your help with whatever it is they need at the time,she is a awsome nurse.

May 21st, 2007, 9:20 am #4

Until nursing home administrators realize
that staffing ratios deemed by gov agencies are useless in the actual physical care for
residents...nursing home injuries, bad care,turnover will never improve. Most of us know we'd never want a loved one admitted to where we work...until a nursing home administrator can "walk a day in our shoes" and actually feel comfortable admitting one of their parents....change will never come.
A sad commentary on the human condition.

Coma
Coma

May 21st, 2007, 2:12 pm #5

You are not alone. I work the evening shifts, and many of us have experienced working short. Yesterday, there where supposed to be four on the floor and two called out. All I could say is Lord have Mercy. How will the two of us attend to the 48 residents to bed, give baths, attend to call lights, wash down wheel chairs, clean the dining, etc? Their were time when I thought I would fall out. I didn't have time to have dinner and have regretted not eating. I go so carried up in caring for the resident and trying to do my job effectively. I got dizzy from the nurse calling my name on the intercom or yelling down the hall. It seems like whenvever I started to give a bedbath or change pads, the intercom rings for to report to a residents room, when most of the time, they just wanted something small. It would be nice if the nurse would find out what the residents need, and if it is small, she can handle it herself, especially because we were working short. Being a super CNA is very hard on the body. It is no wonder some ofus Btch. I still feel the pain of last evening. As soon as my body starts to feel better, going to work just bring back the pains. We are underpaid and more is still required. I love my work, but how much longer will my body hold up to physical abuse and working short like this. CNA resigned last month because she couldn't do this job any more longer. She was having muscles spasms and numbness in her arm and back for all the lifting working as a CNA for 7 yrs.

May 21st, 2007, 4:11 pm #6

Yes. I work 3-11 alot and I also work short on that shift as well. My facility is so cheap, they will not call agency to make up the differenct for lpn's or cna's. the patients & you are just "assed out" excuse my language. I think i suffer from IBS, and when i have to work at the nursing home, it starts to get real irritated about an hout before work. I experience many stresses at the nursing home. I really wish the Government officials realize that they too (Lord Forbid!)may be in a place like this. No matter how pretty the outside, the same issues will be on the inside. No one would want someone to scrub them down real quick, through clothes on them then put them in a chair for 4 hours. Then you just wait. all day. We do not have time to do more than that. they do become just a number and it is so sad.

May 21st, 2007, 10:20 pm #7

Yo won't get any arguments from any members on this forum!

I always call this the 'dirty little secret' --- that patients do NOT get complete care because it's not possible, timewise. Personal cares do not get done, showers do not get done, basic checking for skin breakdown doesn't get done, etc. Checklists that state what was done for residents are checked, when not done. Meals are the biggest joke --- I cannot believe how many residents who need to be fed, are not.

I worked in a hospital and saw many LTC residents come in who were dehydrated, had 'decubes', or literally starving. All this from lack of attention. After working in LTC, I found out that I too left residents without proper feeding or hydration and could simply not get to everyone and properly clean those who were incontinent.....

My mother is in LTC now --- same stuff. Nice staff, but overworked. We hired a home-health CNA to come in a couple of days a week to do the cares she will not get inhouse.

konnie
konnie

May 22nd, 2007, 5:19 am #8

I know how stressful a LTC can be. The ratio is very bad. Have you thought of working in a hospital? I like it better. The ratio isn't as bad. But the nurses tend to help more too. I work at a hospital in Indiana and the ratio for 7am-7:30pm is 6 but not quite as much ADL's as LTC.

Rachel
Rachel

May 23rd, 2007, 2:28 am #9

I have worked the 7-3 shift and the 3-11 shift and I must agree that the 3-11 shift is much easier. On a unit of forty they were willing to staff the unit with three CNAs until State came and than we had four. But the 3-11 shift they staffed the unit with five CNAs.

May 23rd, 2007, 4:29 am #10

I always wondered how the nursing homes get away with knowing exactly when the state is going to come. I thought in most states, the state could just come in at any moment. It seems nationwide, nursing homes play by the rules when the state is there. It is the same where i work. When the state comes, people from the office, and cna's who only do restorative are all of a sudden on the floor helping. we go from 4 to 6 cna's when the state is there. Every nurse is helping to feed. this only makes me believe that they are supposed to do this everyday. Everyone knows this is not done. We are forced to take the blunt of everything everyday. If you look at neglect cases online, you will see that cna's are constantly ruled as one of the main factors of neglect. We are always the first to loose our jobs. We are truley overworked and that is why every lawyer in country is making LTC lawsuits. they are feeding off of the administrations shortcommings. And when the administration forkes out those fines to keep the facility open, we pay with our short wages and short staff.