Backgroud Check

Backgroud Check

August 14th, 2007, 1:53 pm #1

Hi All,

I moved to Indianapolis a year ago from Detroit. I worked in Detroit as an aid but was never certified. Now I am certified in the state of IN. There are some things on my background check from Detroit that have been dismissed. There was never a conviction and the charge was dismissed. Now when companys do a background check those things show up but it clearly says that they have been dismissed. According to the registry I can't work as a CNA becasue of this. I can't find a job anywhere. I don't feel this should be held against me because of the fact that it was dismissed. Does anyone have any information that could help me in my situation?

August 14th, 2007, 2:54 pm #2

Try having your record exsponged (spelling?). I'm thinking you'll need a lawyer but maybe legal aid can help. I'm not sure how they can use it if you were never convicted. When the arrests show up on the backround check they should have a dspostion that says you were not convicted.
Mary

cna-n-pa
cna-n-pa

August 14th, 2007, 6:49 pm #3

Hi All,

I moved to Indianapolis a year ago from Detroit. I worked in Detroit as an aid but was never certified. Now I am certified in the state of IN. There are some things on my background check from Detroit that have been dismissed. There was never a conviction and the charge was dismissed. Now when companys do a background check those things show up but it clearly says that they have been dismissed. According to the registry I can't work as a CNA becasue of this. I can't find a job anywhere. I don't feel this should be held against me because of the fact that it was dismissed. Does anyone have any information that could help me in my situation?
IMHO (in my honest opinion) even though these "things" were dismissed company's are not likely to hire you for fear of "things" happening again, even though they were dismissed. I worked at a home health agency for four years, and we did not hire CNA's who didn't have a clear record, even if "things" were dismissed. Is it fair? probably not; but why take the chance....I don't know what else to tell you, try private duty or another line of work?

August 14th, 2007, 6:53 pm #4

Try having your record exsponged (spelling?). I'm thinking you'll need a lawyer but maybe legal aid can help. I'm not sure how they can use it if you were never convicted. When the arrests show up on the backround check they should have a dspostion that says you were not convicted.
Mary
The disposition type says Dismissed and the disposition details says Dismissed. I just dont understand how a company can hold this against me. The sad part about it is its a company I've already worked for. I quit and went somewehre else. A few months later I wanted my job back. My boss was more than willing to give me a job back, I left on very good terms, but the ED wanted a nation wide background check done and when it came back he said the state registry told him I could not work as a cna. I called the state myself and this legal affairs lady I talked to was no more help on the situation than my cat or dog can be. I thank you for your advice though.

August 14th, 2007, 6:57 pm #5

IMHO (in my honest opinion) even though these "things" were dismissed company's are not likely to hire you for fear of "things" happening again, even though they were dismissed. I worked at a home health agency for four years, and we did not hire CNA's who didn't have a clear record, even if "things" were dismissed. Is it fair? probably not; but why take the chance....I don't know what else to tell you, try private duty or another line of work?
I dont want to find another line of work. I am not guilty of the "things" I spoke of. It was simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yeah, it does happen. Perhaps if you're not going to give me what I asked for, you shouldn't respond to my message at all.

cna-n-pa
cna-n-pa

August 14th, 2007, 7:01 pm #6

For you to get your certification in TN, didn't they do a background check? What were the "things" that were dismissed? IF it was stealing/alleged abuse then more than likely you will not be hired. We had a strict policy about background checks, alot of CNA's/NA's were in the situation you are in.

cna-n-pa
cna-n-pa

August 14th, 2007, 7:05 pm #7

I dont want to find another line of work. I am not guilty of the "things" I spoke of. It was simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yeah, it does happen. Perhaps if you're not going to give me what I asked for, you shouldn't respond to my message at all.

I'm not trying to be rude, just stating the facts where some agency's stand. You posted a request for help, I replied, I'm sorry it is not the answer you wanted? IF you aren't able to work as a CNA, then what other choice do you have??? Truth hurts, it's a shame some ppl. can't take it...

August 14th, 2007, 7:10 pm #8

I agree if the charges were dismissed I don't see how they can hold it against you. Is the registry with the Board of Nursing? I would call back and ask to speak with someone in charge hopefully they will know what's going on. On the other hand they can not make people hire you. I'm on the CNA Council with the Fl Board of Nursing and if the charges are dismissed you get licensed we ask if you've been arrested but only look at convictions. I think getting them exsponged may be you best bet. But keep looking have you tried other places hospitals or clinics?
Mary

cna-n-pa
cna-n-pa

August 14th, 2007, 7:12 pm #9

For you to get your certification in TN, didn't they do a background check? What were the "things" that were dismissed? IF it was stealing/alleged abuse then more than likely you will not be hired. We had a strict policy about background checks, alot of CNA's/NA's were in the situation you are in.
I don't believe that this poster is telling the whole truth?

August 14th, 2007, 7:15 pm #10

I'm not trying to be rude, just stating the facts where some agency's stand. You posted a request for help, I replied, I'm sorry it is not the answer you wanted? IF you aren't able to work as a CNA, then what other choice do you have??? Truth hurts, it's a shame some ppl. can't take it...
Maybe you misunderstand. I am not here to have drama with you or anyone else. I am looking for answers. No, your answer is not the one I want and that is because it is the wrong answer. Thanks for your input but that will be all.