A difficult decision

A difficult decision

June 15th, 2009, 1:37 am #1

I'm in Michigan, about to enter a CNA program. As a lot of people know, the beast is here. The worst economy in the US is in Michigan (as far as I know). Does the bad economy mean I shouldn't even bother trying to be a CNA?

Here's my problem, though. I'm in school to be an RN and my interest is in gerontology. I want to be a CNA to work while I go to school. It would be a big step in the right direction, I think, as far as gaining experience.

I know a lot of you are veterans in the CNA field and I just want to know if this idea is plausible. I will get into the field with ZERO experience and only my cert to help me get a job.

Any words of encouragement? Any words of wisdom?

t
t

June 15th, 2009, 2:07 am #2

At my local community college in Illinois you have to take the CNA course before you can even get into the nursing program and also work as a CNA for so many hours throughout the RN program. I think it's a great idea, you need to see what you're getting youself into and if you like this type of work. good luck

June 15th, 2009, 11:00 am #3

I'm in Michigan, about to enter a CNA program. As a lot of people know, the beast is here. The worst economy in the US is in Michigan (as far as I know). Does the bad economy mean I shouldn't even bother trying to be a CNA?

Here's my problem, though. I'm in school to be an RN and my interest is in gerontology. I want to be a CNA to work while I go to school. It would be a big step in the right direction, I think, as far as gaining experience.

I know a lot of you are veterans in the CNA field and I just want to know if this idea is plausible. I will get into the field with ZERO experience and only my cert to help me get a job.

Dear difficult decion maker,
Well I would have to say being a cna for many years I have worked in geriatrics,pediatrics,Neurobehavioral,Tramatic brain injury units,Phsych..Etc And I would have to say first hand Go for your Cna certificate and enjoy every last minute you get to spend with all your patients/residents around you. Yes this job can be a very thankless job and you will learn that over and over again but at the same time very rewarding. I have found the best nurses have been cna's at one time in there career ladders..The cna's are the eyes and ears of the nurses and doctors..This job will definatly make you appreciate the cna's who one day work under you..Cna's roles are equally as important as all of those who rise above them live ,learn and appreciate..You will find it so much more rewarding..Good~Luck in your journey in the health~care field.

June 15th, 2009, 2:34 pm #4

Thanks. I'm going to go for it!

June 15th, 2009, 2:36 pm #5

At my local community college in Illinois you have to take the CNA course before you can even get into the nursing program and also work as a CNA for so many hours throughout the RN program. I think it's a great idea, you need to see what you're getting youself into and if you like this type of work. good luck
That's really cool. Thanks for replying!

chris hilbrecht
chris hilbrecht

June 19th, 2009, 5:00 am #6

Being a cna while going to nursing school is a good idea because you learn what it is like to be at the bottom and will be understanding of the cnas when you become a nurse because you have been their. I HAD A DON ONCE WHO WORKED AS A CNA IN THE SAME FACILTY

July 14th, 2009, 12:55 pm #7

They will always need CNAs. Not everyone can do this work. It can be hard and demanding but also rewarding. The place I work at has had lay offs but they are much fewer than every other industry in the area. I live in a very depressed area economically. A CNA certificate and job experience are a good stepping stone to other medical professions. The place I work at will pay your way through nursing school if you have worked there for a year. I have full benefets which I can keep if I go to school. If you feel you have the compassion and the physical stamina for the job do it. In a bad economy, a good steady job, even if it does not pay the world's highest wage, is a job worth having. Since the recession I have made more money and have better job security than all my peers in other professions.

August 17th, 2009, 6:47 pm #8

Thanks for everyone who responded to my query. I appreciate all the support I've received here.

Thank you to the last poster who said I seemed compassionate enough for the job. I've been told many times the same thing, but it's different to hear it from someone who doesn't know me.

I've decided that I WILL go to school to be a CNA. I'm going through a state-sponsored program. It's for people with disabilities (Mine isn't physical or cognitive so I feel I can manage this job.). They're going to pay for my tuition, room and board. I have to be there for 15 weeks (5 to do prereqs and then later 10 to do the CNA program.)

Luckily, even though it probably wouldn't be too hard for me to find a job (I live in an area with a LOT of LTC's) they're going to help with that part immensely.

I'm on my way to being a Nursing Assistant! Reading the posts on this website have helped me a lot. I now have a better understanding of what it will be like to be a CNA and I really feel that this will be a good way to work through college.

Thanks,
Caitlin.

August 19th, 2009, 6:22 am #9

you will be fine. old people will always need care.you may want to go for the lpn first so your wages are higher and the physical work easier for your last year of school towards the RN. You will be able to learn more this way also because you can use what your learning in school as an lpn but not as a cna. check your local classifieds. guarante you will see lots of nursing jobs. one last thing. cna work is hard so don't quit before you get past that hurtle and become a nurse. being a cna will make you a much better nurse. always treat your cnas well.

cna now lpn to be rn

September 26th, 2009, 9:26 pm #10

Hooray! I have been a CNA for a long time, have worked with LOTS and LOTS of nurses. I truely believe that any one that wants to be a nurse needs to work as a CNA whether before school or during school. This I feel will let you personally find out whether or not you can handle it, it also gives you an idea what your staff under you are dealing with and if they are doing there job. GOOD LUCK!