Window shield brackets and gas cylinder assists.

Window shield brackets and gas cylinder assists.

August 6th, 2009, 11:15 am #1

Paul and All:
I am back from a long trip to Florida to pick up an RV (which I hope to drive up to Lake Huron and can offer free accomodations to probably 3 other people. Let me know if you need a place) and an 80's something 23 Craft Craft Scorpion looking hull. It is built strong and was an inboard/outboard. I am not sure what I will do with it.

Meanwhile, last Saturday I started putting the new T bolt clamps on the muffler systems on both engines. I will finish up this Saturday and Sunday take Summer Palace out for further sea trials.

It was hot and my wind shield has no brackets to hold the windows open. In fact the PO put screws in to hold them to the frames. After thinking for a while I decided to try and attach some gas cylinders so that the two windows will surge out and use a locking bracket to hold them in place. The idea comes from the back window of my Explorer, and the cylinders really work well there.

Has anyone tried this? I am also thinking a similar arrangement on the heavy hatches might make the hatches easy to lift and hold up. Any comments or things to look out for? I am not too sure how long they will last in the salty environs, but am willing to give it a try.
Jerry

Paul
Paul

August 6th, 2009, 8:37 pm #2

Hi Jerry,

Sitting in Denver at the moment but have a few minutes to respond. First impression of gas cylinders is not a good one, although they may be adapted to make the opening a bit easier. What happens to one of those if it comes loose, does it catapult into your face? Not knowing how you plan to do this, all I can say is don't drill more holes and be careful.

Paul

Jerry
Jerry

August 7th, 2009, 8:17 pm #3

Paul and All:
Thanks for the input. Let me clarify what I am thinking. The frames of the windshield and its support structure already have a lot of screw holes in them where the brackets pulled out of, and where the frames are screwed together. I would add a gas cylinder on each side of the two windows to aid in pushing the window outward and 10 inch windshield hatch adjusters on either side of the class to support the window when it is in the open position. I have not ever heard of them coming apart but I will be careful.
Jerry

Paul
Paul

August 7th, 2009, 9:35 pm #4

My cautionary comment was in regards to the closed window that will compress the cylinder and store energy, to be potentially released if and when the screws get loose. If you have a few loose screws, it could be dangerous, ha!

Paul

Jerry
Jerry

August 8th, 2009, 4:42 am #5

Paul:
I have so many loose screws rattling around, I cannot sneak up on any one. They hear me coming 50 ft. away!
Jerry

Glenn
Glenn

August 10th, 2009, 3:51 am #6

I have been kicking the same ideal around. I have also been kicking around a power unit of some sort, but the length that the windows open is to long.
I am also playing with changing the design of the arm, with a better handle and lock.
I will keep everyone informed as to my progress.

Glenn

FDA-36-039

August 10th, 2009, 10:48 am #7

Paul, Glenn, and All:
I have ordered a couple of different size gas cylinders and they should come this week. My idea is to use the gas cylinder to help push the windshield out, then use a folding arm bracket to lock the windshield in place and take the pressure off the gas cylinder. There are two options to use as the locking brackets. One is similar to the original and similar to the locking arm and knob that comes off of a hatch. The other is the folding bracket. I too will post pics when I get it finished.
Jerry