The Policastro family gets a first look at Old Hickory Lake in Tennessee !

The Policastro family gets a first look at Old Hickory Lake in Tennessee !

Paul
Paul

April 1st, 2011, 6:19 pm #1

Well we all know Bill Policastro from Traverse City, Michigan, due to his many contributions here on THE FORUM and the fact that his 23' Commander, GHOST RIDER has been published so many times, including within many pages of the forum, showing up on the sliding image bar here on our header, and also appearing in the two books listed here on our front page about Commanders and Commander restorations. In fact, the restoration of GHOST RIDER commands an entire chapter in the almost ready RESTORATION OF THE CLASSIC FIBERGLASS CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER, Also featuring classic fiberglass Lancer and Corsair Runabouts. That book by the way, is here in Nashville now in final printed PROOF form and the quality is FABULOUS, and Bill and I will be reviewing it later today.

Here are just a very few images about GHOST RIDER and about Bill too.

Here with Erik Hoisington, also of Traverse City, Michigan.

These last two images are showing Bill and friend-of-the-forum, Herb Pocklington, aboard GHOST RIDER, at Bay Harbor, Michigan. Even with a knee replacement, Mr. Pocklington went up the ladder like a youngster when he had the opportunity to take a look at one of the boats he was responsible for as the head of planning and development at Chris Craft.

Now Bill and his family are here in Nashville, and Janet and I get a chance to repay some of the hospitality they extended to us while we were in Traverse City, visiting their house, taking boat rides, going to restaurants, etc. Hey if the weather is nice we just might be able to get on the water here too!

Regards,

Paul

Kevin
Kevin

April 1st, 2011, 7:33 pm #2

Bill lives down the street from my childhood friend Dr. Bob Barger. We met some years ago when he first got the boat and was running off of a 5 gal. portable fuel tank! He was nice enough to take me out for a ride in truly nasty conditions. The waves were tall and steep. If fact, we could barely get it back on the lift because of the waves. It was very nice. Sitting in that boat is like being in a living room in the '60's; very Hugh Hefner'ish.

I hope to see him again this summer!

Kevin

April 2nd, 2011, 4:18 pm #3

A lot of people don't realize how much water we really have here in Tennessee. Old Hickory Lake, for instance has a bigger shoreline than Lake Erie when you factor in all the many long fingers and coves. As a result we get boats from the East Coast, Florida, and Great Lakes too. From here you can get to the Gulf three ways, one is up through the Great Lakes so that is not practical, but the other two are and many boats do it each year: Head downstream through the locks and then either North to the Ohio River and down the big Miss, or downstream through the locks and head South down the Tennessee and into the Tombigbee, on to the Gulf.

Here are the Policastro's standing on the swim platform of a 55' Chris, how is that?

We had a nice dinner last night and it is getting warm today, a little bike riding in the morning, and then a blast down the Cumberland River aboard TRADITION later.

Here Bill and Olivia ride Janet's Land Rider with the automatic transmission !

Bike riding at Cedar Creek Yacht Club!
Bill and Olivia do a commercial for the Land Rider!
Use the go back feature on your browser to return to the forum.

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on April 2nd, 2011, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

April 3rd, 2011, 6:23 pm #4

We are very thankful the weather cooperated and gave us a nice day on Saturday. We met at the Commodore Yacht Club and fired up the big dogs, and believe it or not we had whitecaps on long stretches of the river. We saw several bald eagles, and on one occasion we passed by an eagle nest and watched one come in and put those big claws out and land on a branch, at fairly close range to the boat. WOW that was amazing.

A little fishing on the dock later in the day. Olivia picked up the casting technique quite fast.

We had some great after dinner talent shows, one of which was Emma and Olivia showing how to stick a spoon to your nose. Guys, you just CANT get entertainment like THIS just ANYWHERE !!

Janet and Emma joined us later in the day and we had a huge feast Saturday night, Olivia showed us how to grille pinapple steaks that had been first placed in granulated sugar. Good times brought together through a common love of classic Chris Craft boating.

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on May 23rd, 2011, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 4th, 2011, 1:19 am #5

Thank you Paul and Janet.

Our weekend in Nashville was just great. Just the right mix of Chris Craft, Boating, Music & Food with two special people. Olivia had a blast with Emma. Our family will have such great memories that last a lifetime.

Thank You.

We can't wait to host the Pletchers here in Traverse City.

Bill, Kirstin & Olivia

April 4th, 2011, 1:29 am #6

Bill lives down the street from my childhood friend Dr. Bob Barger. We met some years ago when he first got the boat and was running off of a 5 gal. portable fuel tank! He was nice enough to take me out for a ride in truly nasty conditions. The waves were tall and steep. If fact, we could barely get it back on the lift because of the waves. It was very nice. Sitting in that boat is like being in a living room in the '60's; very Hugh Hefner'ish.

I hope to see him again this summer!

Kevin
Hello Kevin,

Great to hear from you. I remember the conditions that day. Not a problem for the boat in a good chop, but then again, getting the boat back onto a hoist with white caps crashing is another story. We will have to take a little longer cruise this summer. Just stop by when visiting Bob.

Bill

Dave Mehl
Dave Mehl

April 4th, 2011, 2:48 pm #7

Thank you Paul and Janet.

Our weekend in Nashville was just great. Just the right mix of Chris Craft, Boating, Music & Food with two special people. Olivia had a blast with Emma. Our family will have such great memories that last a lifetime.

Thank You.

We can't wait to host the Pletchers here in Traverse City.

Bill, Kirstin & Olivia
Well I am glad to see SOMEONE out on the water having fun this last week end.
Sure looks like a good time was had by all.

Dave