The Big Race

The Big Race

Mark Weller
Mark Weller

November 16th, 2011, 9:21 pm #1

I think the big race has a new contender in it.
This slightly modified CC Cavalier 19CD was turning about 48 bone stock
and it now has new parts coming from Summit Racing and National Carb.
Expecting about a 35 to 40 hp increase.
So 50+ is not even getting it warmed up.
And Paul no editing my post this time.

Paul
Paul

November 16th, 2011, 9:37 pm #2

Just be advised we're not racing card tables with outboard motors on smooth water. We're going to be running in the biggest chop we can find, and if we need to we'll make our own. When you're over there pounding your brains out trying to keep up around 35 or 40 mph, take a look over and watch us push the throttles forward

Now for some interesting info from Edelbrock. Tech guy says if you want a hole shot go with the Performer, and if you want higher power at any given engine speed, go with the Performer RPM. Since the Performer seems to be a torque monster I look upon it favorably, but the RPM seems to give away little or nothing there. Touch choice, but both do away with lots of weight and the EGR system.

Now for your small block, I mentioned I had a friend who had a 307 or 305 and the guy told me Edelbrock didn't make an intake for Troybilt tillers. No....I said....this isn't lawn equipment, it is a small block Chevy. He said "tell me again how big is it", and I said "its around 307 or 305, I can't remember which". He then said "contact International Harvestor, they had all the Cub Cadet parts". I know this isn't much help but I just wanted to report what the guy at Edelbrock said.

Here is an article you may find of interest.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ch ... index.html

Regards,

Paul

Mark Weller
Mark Weller

November 16th, 2011, 10:16 pm #3

Very funny Paul Troybilt and Cub Cadet yea watch this Cadet go and run rings around
those big heavy boats you two have. What do you do if there is no wind that day start praying for some?
I don't run on rivers and little lakes I run on the Great Lakes remember I am used to waves.
When was the last time Old Hickory had even 3 footers on it?

Paul
Paul

November 16th, 2011, 11:09 pm #4

"When was the last time Old Hickory had even 3 footers on it?"

Every week-end Mark, main river channel, commercial tug and large cruiser traffic.
You cross one of those with a 16-degree bottom going very fast and you'll be airborne,
we see it all the time. I buried the bow of my 17' Chris Craft Sportsman one day trying
to get across the wake of a large Hatteras running at speed, it was a rather wet experience
in the cockpit, the hull is basically a flat bottom at the transom, not the 24 degrees of
the 23-foot Lancer/Commander hull. It is going to be fun to see what kind of wake jumping
I can do with that Lancer, and you know it will be put to the test, perhaps at wide open
throttle.

On one stretch of river on Cheatham Lake, downhill from Old Hickory, I was running
TRADITION at a fast cruise curling a huge wake one day. I saw a very fast runabout
coming my direction at about a mile out so I backed all the way down and was at a
legally complete standstill, standing on the aft deck waving the "slow down" signal
and pointing downriver where the pulse of my 38 was still very much alive. In areas
where the river is narrow, boats are forced to pass in close proximity, and it is
nearly impossible for some of the boats to power over the wake of a large boat it the
captain of the larger boat won't back down. So the driver of the oncoming boat looked
over like I was some sort of an idiot as he zoomed by and kept the coals to the throttle,
and when the boat finally did hit the pulse it went airborne. I'm not really sure they
ever did find the battery. The boat slammed so hard and stopped immediately, shutting
everything down. Somehow the motor stayed on the transom somehow.

I knew from experience that running the narrow stretches of the river send a pulse like
that way out that can be unseen and unanticipated by a fast boat running 60-mph. Since
we are legally responsible for our wakes, it was prudent for me to do what I did. At
the time there were no other boats visible anywhere so I was running pretty fast.

We'll do a little wake jumping and then we'll move up to the main channel on OHL when
everyone is racing out to Gallatin Marina for bluberry waffles in the morning. These
photos are from the narrow section of Cheatham, up on Old Hickory there will be enough
chop on race day to keep your speed down and let our deep v hulls prevail. If there isn't
enough chop on race day for that, we'll dream up some sort of an excuse, mechanical malfunction,
no prop wax, something serious.

Regards,

Paul

Paul
Paul

November 16th, 2011, 11:27 pm #5

http://www.youtube.com/embed/shZvfrR9TH4?rel=0

This guy needs a Lancer!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/AsUzlJcHe5w?rel=0"

Hmmmm, how many times have I seen this in Tennessee!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/1UEETjztLqI?rel=0

(hey watch this)

Best,

Paul

November 17th, 2011, 1:32 am #6

Hi Paul,

The last video really gives me the willies. I have been in bass boats with someone else driving way too fast for rough water. I have wanted to reach over and jerk the kill lanyard myself. That boat was chine walking a little and he entered the wake on a shallow angle which put her over the edge. That guy is lucky he got away with it. "God protects fools and drunks", but not always, right? Did you catch how hard his head hit?

Greg M

Paul
Paul

November 17th, 2011, 2:26 pm #7

I think the big race has a new contender in it.
This slightly modified CC Cavalier 19CD was turning about 48 bone stock
and it now has new parts coming from Summit Racing and National Carb.
Expecting about a 35 to 40 hp increase.
So 50+ is not even getting it warmed up.
And Paul no editing my post this time.

First of all, all razzing aside about the big race, you are to be congratulated for getting out of the "brand X" and into a Chris Craft runabout to compliment your 35. Secondly, the small V8 with outdrive is exceptionally efficient and there is no doubt it will run faster than a 23 Lancer unless the Lancer has a LOT of power.

I would absolutely change out the intake with an aluminum one, either Performer or Performer RPM, my preference is the latter, and I would look closely at the Performer RPM Air Gap too. For the money there is no bigger power boost. Pull that 2-bbl and put on a #1409 and buddy you will be able to cross the 50 mph mark with the right prop.

My 20' fiberglass Sea Skiff has a similar power to weight ratio and hull shape, at around 16 degrees deadrise, but the Skiff is compromised with a mini keel that creates drag and the fact that it is a true inboard. The clean bottom of your boat along with the efficiency of the outdrive makes is a much faster boat with the same power as my skiff. if you can get more power with the intake and carb, which you can, then it will be some fun to see what a mild prop upgrade will produce with top end speed.

Hole shots are one thing but they only last for a few moments, and they also put a tremendous strain on the entire powertrain. I always equipped my own boats with speed props unless I was going to drag a water skiier, and as a result my 95 Hercules powered 17 (for instance) was always the fastest 95 anyone had ever seen. When I took it to boat shows in the 1980s I would actually disconnect the belt to the generator to get more of the power to the prop, and I would just go with a hot multi-purpose battery and it worked just fine for the entire week-end, with a MSD ignition. I would put a bit more pitch on that prop, maybe mild cup, forget the hole shot, and make this boat a real sleeper for top end.

Bring it on, we'll be waiting with our slower boats and hoping it is a rough day.

Best,

Paul

Paul
Paul

November 18th, 2011, 2:09 pm #8

Okay guys, speed demon Weller has acquired an Edelbrock PERFORMER intake manifold for his 305, and he'll be using a Rochester 4 bbl carb in an attempt to break the 50-mph speed barrier. In view of the fact the boat has already been clocked at 48 this seems to be a cake walk.

Regards,

Paul

mike g
mike g

November 19th, 2011, 3:30 am #9

With all the current thrashing about aluminum intake manifold upgrades from the competition. Let`s not forget , there is a 23 Lancer lurking out there with a 350Q that MAY be wearing an Osco Manifold aluminum intake , part # 827-1621 . I have already read the dyno reports from Osco on this 350Q engine specific manifold and it is very impressive !

From the 350Q / bunker skunk works

November 19th, 2011, 9:06 pm #10

http://www.youtube.com/embed/shZvfrR9TH4?rel=0

This guy needs a Lancer!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/AsUzlJcHe5w?rel=0"

Hmmmm, how many times have I seen this in Tennessee!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/1UEETjztLqI?rel=0

(hey watch this)

Best,

Paul
I think that many Bass Boats are grossly overpowered. They say that PWC's are dangerous -- bass boats have huge motors on the back and are basically race boats that float on air.

The fact that anyone can buy one if they have the coin is a concern.

---------------------------------
Jay -- Boatless -- for now...