SEASPRAY hauled for routine maintenance

SEASPRAY hauled for routine maintenance

Heidi Pigeon
Heidi Pigeon

April 22nd, 2007, 12:55 am #1

Hi Paul,

Just a few photos for you, we dried Seaspray out in the other marina and powerwashed the bottom and changed the anodes, set our selves up with table and chairs and had bacon rolls and tea.

Back in our marina now and plan to paint the bottom next time we dry out, when the weather is calmer.

Best regards
Heidi

Paul
Paul

April 22nd, 2007, 1:12 am #2

Hi Heidi,

Its amazing that a year has passed allready and you guys are hauling the boat again. I looked as some of your previous postings, and you hauled last year about this time too. We're all doing our maintenance routines, and although boating is a lot of work, the work is worth lots of fun.

I hope you and Paul are doing well, if you're headed to the US please look us up. Alan Jackson wants your autograph!

Regards,
Paul and Janet
Nashville, TN

-------------------------------

For readers who may not be familiar with SEASPRAY, this is a 31' Commander, diesel powered, that runs the English Channel around the Jersey Isles. The boat is used heavily, in great shape, and some of the threads below show lots of the work (and some of the fun) Heidi and Paul have experienced with SEASPRAY. Of particular note, if you have not seen the thread about their trip across the English Channel to France, it's a good one!

Here are some of their great threads:

31 Commander “SEASPRAY”, Flagship of the English Channel Commander Fleet

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1144961429
Hauled for maintenance April of 2006

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1146739103
Buffing the hull

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1146737707
New aft platform

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1146742934
Bow badge restoration

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1146738811
New anodes and split pins, May 4 2006

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1154369256
SEASPRAY crosses the English Channel and travels upriver to Dinan, France

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 138676924/
Christmas on the English Channel aboard SEASPRAY ( 2005)

Dave Mehl
Dave Mehl

April 22nd, 2007, 3:14 pm #3

Hi Paul,

Just a few photos for you, we dried Seaspray out in the other marina and powerwashed the bottom and changed the anodes, set our selves up with table and chairs and had bacon rolls and tea.

Back in our marina now and plan to paint the bottom next time we dry out, when the weather is calmer.

Best regards
Heidi

Those side supports are ingenious and very functional. Some enterprising boat designer should cast those flush into a side pocket on the boat so they are concealed. I see another boat with the same device. Very interesting.

Good hearing from you, Heidi, we enjoy seeing your photos. I hope you have a gun and safe cruising season.

Dave

James Brunette
James Brunette

April 22nd, 2007, 11:00 pm #4

Hi Paul,

Best regards
Heidi

Hello Ms. Pigeon,

I have reviewed some of your previous threads, it is great to see some avid Chris Craft boaters in your part of the blue planet!You have to love a good powerwasher! Boat speed and fuel economy just shot way up!

You and Paul probably know better than anyone else, how a 31' Commander handles in rough water. That first photo made a believer out of me! That looks positively frightening. Just another day on the water?

Thank you for sharing your photos. I hope you have a great boating season for 2007

James Brunette

Heidi Pigeon
Heidi Pigeon

April 23rd, 2007, 1:05 pm #5

Those side supports are ingenious and very functional. Some enterprising boat designer should cast those flush into a side pocket on the boat so they are concealed. I see another boat with the same device. Very interesting.

Good hearing from you, Heidi, we enjoy seeing your photos. I hope you have a gun and safe cruising season.

Dave
Hi Dave,

The boat behind is a 38' auqa star and is owned by my brother-in-law David, we usually travel together as it is safer in numbers and with our history of boating troubles and fun, you never know what could happen.

Best regards
Heidi

Heidi Pigeon
Heidi Pigeon

April 23rd, 2007, 1:08 pm #6

Hello Ms. Pigeon,

I have reviewed some of your previous threads, it is great to see some avid Chris Craft boaters in your part of the blue planet!You have to love a good powerwasher! Boat speed and fuel economy just shot way up!

You and Paul probably know better than anyone else, how a 31' Commander handles in rough water. That first photo made a believer out of me! That looks positively frightening. Just another day on the water?

Thank you for sharing your photos. I hope you have a great boating season for 2007

James Brunette

Thank you for your response, We love our boat and enjoy all that comes with it, glad you liked the photos and I hope you also have a great season ahead.

Best regards
Heidi

April 23rd, 2007, 5:35 pm #7

That pipe assembly with the V supports, is that a custom installed device people in the English Channel have installed. Is this something your local marina installed, or is this the way you do things in your part of the world. This is a rather odd looking thing I have not seen before.

This is the value of sharing photos, very interesting.

Regards,

Howard Echols
Huntsville, AL

Heidi Pigeon
Heidi Pigeon

April 24th, 2007, 1:14 pm #8

Hi Howard,

A local boat builder fitted this to the vessel, SEASPRAY used to be moored in a tital harbour at St Aubin in Jersey, which dries out twice a day, it keeps the prop's from being damaged in the mud and the legs are there for support as she settles.

Best regards
Heidi

Mike
Mike

March 1st, 2008, 4:58 pm #9

Hi Paul,

Best regards
Heidi

And I thought I had seen everything ! Guys, I have been "fooling around with boats" for a long time, and I have to tell you, this is the strangest thing I have seen. It is obviously quite functional, and how nice it must be to live in an area where you can inspect your boat each day (free) without hauling it, by just pulling over to a dock spot. I see those legs don't really hold the boat up, they just keep it from tipping over. Very ingenious, but only for special places on earth with high tides.

Mike

Paul
Paul

March 1st, 2008, 5:45 pm #10

Mike,

I'm with you! When I first saw these things I had the same reaction, however, on the English Channel where Heidi and Paul do their boating, this makes a LOT of sense. They have exceedingly high tides, and this is an adaptation local boaters have probably been using for many years. The reinforced bottom of the keel looks like it is a part of the system, to avoid wear, cracking and water intrusion on the bottom when the boat is sitting on the hard.

Here are a couple of additional photos from our archives. Pretty cool system actually, and one heck of a safety system too if you happen to need it.

Legs down, somewhere on a beach! This gives a 31' Commander quite an unique advantage, being able to beach for camping and exploration. I wonder if any boats so equipped have rolled over?

Legs up, for painting and maintenance.

Thanks to Heidi for sharing all of these photos with us!

Regards,

Paul