Not many Lancers out there for sale

Not many Lancers out there for sale

Paul
Paul

October 4th, 2006, 11:37 pm #1

We've been looking casually for a Lancer, or a fiberglass CC Super Sport (1980ish inboard), or an inboard Corsair, the smaller the better in the 17 to 20-foot range, maybe could go 23. Not much pickings out there.

Found the blue 1971 in Cummings GA, bad transdrive, and a few others, but sheesh, not much to pick from (especially in SE USA) within reasonable striking distance.

Anyone knowing of a local boat for sale, lemme know, as ebay and the internet listings just don't have much. Not really interested in a bow rider, would go for a clean transdrive but prefer an inboard.

Could potentially go to $8000 but would naturally rather pay half that much. Found a beautiful glass Century that fits our needs, but just can't seem to warm up to owning a Century. Of course, a Commander would be great, but not in Montana!

Since Bill Thomas first posted the Lancer info here, I've been learning more about the series and they are pretty cool boats. Any glass CC inboard, including the glass Super Sports would work. Don't think I'll be able to afford an exotic XK but might spring for a XK-22 if the price is reasonable.

So many boats, so little time !

Paul

October 4th, 2006, 11:59 pm #2

Hi Paul. Here is a link for a 20' fiberglass Sea Skiff, built in Cortland NY if I'm not mistaken.I'm almost positive that it's owned by the PO of the 38 CCC that we purchased this past Feb. Needs restoration, but it looks solid and it has a trailer.
Regards, Steve
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... i&&ywo=tfi&

Paul
Paul

October 5th, 2006, 12:21 am #3

Oddly enough, I know Tom Frauenheim (and his brother Joe), through my dealings with ACBS and the Race Boat Regatta. I also didn't have a clue that the Sea Skiff even came in a fiberglass model!!! The Frauenheim boys are regulars at the Buffalo Launch Club, great guys too, good reputations.

That would be a stretch for us to drive that distance, but stranger things HAVE happened. I bought a pair of 427 motors and marine trannys in Rhode Island a couple years ago!

I like the styling of the boat and I'll give Tom a call tomorrow to check it out. It's quite a drive, but hey, where there's a will there's a way (one way or another). Perhaps he'll know someone heading south who wouldn't mind a boat in tow, at least part way??

Thanks for the tip.

Regards, Paul

(anyone else with some leads, "you may fire when you are ready"....to quote Admiral Dewey in the battle of Manila Bay)

Paul
Paul

October 5th, 2006, 12:38 am #4

.........but I really like the lines of the boat. Engine looks all there, but also a candidate for rebuilding. I'll check into it and let you know what they say.

regards, Paul

Steve
Steve

October 5th, 2006, 2:01 am #5

I've purchased both of my Commanders from Tom. All business but a very good person to deal with.The company his father founded, JAFCO marine in Buffalo, NY sold many Commanders over the years.If you talk to him,give him my regards and tell him that we love the boat! Best of luck.
Steve

October 5th, 2006, 4:41 am #6

Oddly enough, I know Tom Frauenheim (and his brother Joe), through my dealings with ACBS and the Race Boat Regatta. I also didn't have a clue that the Sea Skiff even came in a fiberglass model!!! The Frauenheim boys are regulars at the Buffalo Launch Club, great guys too, good reputations.

That would be a stretch for us to drive that distance, but stranger things HAVE happened. I bought a pair of 427 motors and marine trannys in Rhode Island a couple years ago!

I like the styling of the boat and I'll give Tom a call tomorrow to check it out. It's quite a drive, but hey, where there's a will there's a way (one way or another). Perhaps he'll know someone heading south who wouldn't mind a boat in tow, at least part way??

Thanks for the tip.

Regards, Paul

(anyone else with some leads, "you may fire when you are ready"....to quote Admiral Dewey in the battle of Manila Bay)
Hi Paul, go to www.uship.com -- it is associated with eBay. You list the boat and details there and request insurance, and you will get a bunch of bids on hauling it -- probably around $1 per mile based on my experience. Bidders have feedback like on ebay. You need to be ready to move once you ask for bids, because you will get a bunch in 3 or 4 days, and often haulers set a short expire date as they are trying to fill their calendar. I would sure make sure current owner will take the trailer in and get it serviced for you (even at your cost) so bearings and brakes are good to go.

Best wishes, Curt....
---

1967 fiberglass 38' Chris Craft Commander Sportfisher with twin 427 CID 300 HP engines.

Paul
Paul

October 5th, 2006, 6:31 pm #7

I've purchased both of my Commanders from Tom. All business but a very good person to deal with.The company his father founded, JAFCO marine in Buffalo, NY sold many Commanders over the years.If you talk to him,give him my regards and tell him that we love the boat! Best of luck.
Steve
Still inquiring about details, but I did give your regards and he and I both were thinking what a small world it is sometimes! It's a bit more of a project than I thought, since the motor was out of the boat, not sure if it's been rebuilt or what, and they're not sure if it runs. It may be an opportunity for a shortblock exchange, but in any case, it's not a turn-key drop in the water and drive like some of the alternatives are.

Tom said he was a CC dealer for many years, and the talent, ability, people, and overall workmanship of the old company were just outstanding.

Back to the boat, the stringers were moisture tested and okay, the motor is an unknown entity, interior needs to be redone, new flooring, upholstry, etc. It's a project, but could be fun. Transport remains the main issue now, because I suppose if the boat was for sale in Nashville we would have already bought it and had part of the restoration done!

Regards, Paul

Paul
Paul

October 6th, 2006, 11:09 am #8

Hi Paul, go to www.uship.com -- it is associated with eBay. You list the boat and details there and request insurance, and you will get a bunch of bids on hauling it -- probably around $1 per mile based on my experience. Bidders have feedback like on ebay. You need to be ready to move once you ask for bids, because you will get a bunch in 3 or 4 days, and often haulers set a short expire date as they are trying to fill their calendar. I would sure make sure current owner will take the trailer in and get it serviced for you (even at your cost) so bearings and brakes are good to go.

Best wishes, Curt....
---

1967 fiberglass 38' Chris Craft Commander Sportfisher with twin 427 CID 300 HP engines.
I am hoping the owner or the broker can arrange some way of helping to get the boat halfway to Tennessee. We can pull off a 5 hour trip each way, but not interested in making it a two day event. Bearings and tires are supposed to be in good order, according to Tom. At this point we are seriously considering the boat, and the ball is in their court.

Regards, Paul

Paul
Paul

October 6th, 2006, 11:29 am #9

Hi Paul. Here is a link for a 20' fiberglass Sea Skiff, built in Cortland NY if I'm not mistaken.I'm almost positive that it's owned by the PO of the 38 CCC that we purchased this past Feb. Needs restoration, but it looks solid and it has a trailer.
Regards, Steve
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... i&&ywo=tfi&
I learn something every day, and the other day I learned Chris Craft offered a glass Sea Skiff. Having owned a 35-foot Sea Skiff and writing a six page article for Classic Boating Magazine, I know all about those steam bent white oak frames and overlapping marine plywood planks. They're great boats, very seaworthy, light in weight, and great handlers, but never did I ever know they also offered one (actually two) in fiberglass. Being a wood boat guy pretty deep into the antique and classics, I was just about to send a note the other night to Steve, saying "thanks, but Sea Skiffs are wood".

?1147980982000

?1147980983000

CC built 130 glass Skiffs to my knowledge now. 70 twenty footers like the one above in 1966 and 10 more in 1967, all of this series were true inboards.

?1147980984000
They built another 50 in a 18' boat but it had a transdrive. I suspect all of these were actually Thompson built, but not sure. Its a wide boat, one inch short of 9' beam, which surprised me. It would be a very solid platform.

Oddly, there is another fiberglass boat that is a dead ringer for this one, offered by CC during the same era, but it's 2" narrower in beam, and they called it the 20'Corsair Sea-V Inboard ( 220 built from 65-68) sold along side the Sea-V transdrive (425 sold). The Corsair looks like a little better "upmarket" boat, possibly better equipment and trim, not sure. Bill Thomas posted some info on the Corsair a while back and I'll look it up, and link it to this thread if I can find it. Also, I think Mark actually has a Corsair Sea-V Transdrive, which is pretty cool. Commander owners apparently go for the same sort of boats, eh?

And now for the not-so-good news, the motor. It's an unknown, and since it was sitting on the concrete before it was "re installed" in the boat for sale, not knowing if it runs or not, I'm suspecting this is a bucket of bolts needing lots of attention.
?1151528369000

At this time we're also considering a Lancer, so it looks like another Chris Craft will eventually become part of our lives, following the TRADITION in our family of buying only CC boats

Regards, Paul

Paul
Paul

October 6th, 2006, 11:42 am #10

Seeing this Corsair info below, I see now that the fiberglass Skiff was actually a rebadged Corsair, or vice versa, because the beams are identical on this chart, while the Essential Guide has them a few inches different. Therefore, they’re the same exact mold.

Here’s a Corsair that Mark owns, or was looking to purchase, can’t remember.
It appears to be the same hull, not sure if this one is inboard or transdrive.

Here’s the brochure Bill Thomas sent, thanks again Bill, not Commander related but close enough on the CC family tree, and of the same era, to still be of great interest.

regards, Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on October 6th, 2006, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.