Need help with Paragon PL25R repair ( 1980 36 Commander Sport Fish )

Need help with Paragon PL25R repair ( 1980 36 Commander Sport Fish )

Al
Al

July 8th, 2011, 3:46 pm #1

Hi

I own a 1980 commander/ sport-fish Chris Craft, 36 foot. I am having a problem with my starboard paragon transmission. It is a PL25R 782646H2547. After removing the reduction gear housing we discovered that the ring gear (part # 16726) had a broken tooth and the smaller drive gear (part # 12938) was also damaged. I have spent many hours perusing web sites and contacting repair marinas throughout the U.S. attempting to locate replacement parts but for the most part to no avail. A repair shop here in Houston TX was able to locate a ring gear in Florida however I have yet to find the accompanying drive gear.

Any assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated in that I use this boat to run fishing and scuba diving charters and due to this problem, I have already had to cancel 5 charters.

Thank you in advance.

Al

Houston, TX

Mike W
Mike W

July 8th, 2011, 6:27 pm #2

I have had work done at two different places and was happy.

Federal Marine in ILhttp://federalmarinetransmissions.com/
The Gear Box, Rogers City, MI Dave
Kalamazoo Marine Gear, 269-345-0629http://www.kalamazoomarinegear.com/Home ... 3_CEFS.php

Al
Al

July 9th, 2011, 6:29 pm #3

Thanks so much for the links. I am going to check them out right now.

Al

Mike W
Mike W

July 10th, 2011, 12:36 pm #4

If the Gear Box site is still up don't email. Dave does not check it. His number is 989.734.7771. At Kalamazoo Marine ask for Craig and I believe it is Jim at Federal. Good luck. After the work on my V drive I was told some parts are becoming very scarce to no longer available.

Al
Al

July 10th, 2011, 5:50 pm #5

I have not yet been able to speek to anyone at Kalamazoo but plan on doing so sometime this coming week. I have talked to Jim several times however, and he is very knowledgable regarding Paragons and has been quit a help advising. You are corect in that most parts are very hard to find if at all, such as the drive gear that I need (part # 12938). Therefor,I have been looking into replacing the transmissions totally. My concern relates primarily to the side mounts and the drop down from the in-put to out-put shafts of a posible replacment. As you are probably aware, if that drop doesn't match somewhat with my existing 1.9 inch drop on my PL25R's, the engine must be either raised or lowered in order to line up with the propeller shaft. In addition and in light of the fact that I was able to locate the ring gear, I may have a local machine shop that specializes in gear manufacturing primarily for the oil and gas industry here in Houston, remake the drive gear for me. I know its a gamble and the gear has to match identically to the original but I'm thinking that may be the best way to move forward at this point. No pun intended.

Oh well the saga continues, Thanks so much for all your help and have a great rest of the weekend.

Al

Jerry
Jerry

July 11th, 2011, 5:59 pm #6

Paul, Al and All:
Al, I have several paragons that I am willing to give you. Two came off 427's and I have a couple of smaller ones. I have several motor mounts as well. I live in Northern Virginia. The Paragons are too heavy to ship I am guessing but if they can be shipped you will have to stand the cost. They are all yours if we can figure out some way to get them to you. My telephone number is 703 362 2928.
Jerry

Jerry
Jerry

July 11th, 2011, 6:03 pm #7

All:
I guess I should add that I could take them apart (I have never done this) and try to send you the
piece(s) you are missing. No problem, I love adventure into the unknown.
Jerry

Tom Slayton
Tom Slayton

July 11th, 2011, 6:06 pm #8

Hi Jerry,

It is admirable that you have offered to do this and if you do I am sure it will be greatly appreciated. However, the PL series is a later series Paragon and it would be in order to do some searching to see if these are internally and externally similar to the older styles found on the 427 motors.

Tom

Jerry
Jerry

July 11th, 2011, 6:10 pm #9

Paul, Tom, and All;
Roger, Tom. At worst, maybe just replace his paragons with mine?
Jerry

Al Manica
Al Manica

July 11th, 2011, 8:15 pm #10

Paul, Al and All:
Al, I have several paragons that I am willing to give you. Two came off 427's and I have a couple of smaller ones. I have several motor mounts as well. I live in Northern Virginia. The Paragons are too heavy to ship I am guessing but if they can be shipped you will have to stand the cost. They are all yours if we can figure out some way to get them to you. My telephone number is 703 362 2928.
Jerry
Hey Jerry..... Stop the presses!!!

I want... I WANT!
I will do what it takes to get them here at no inconvenience to you. Pick up - delivery, crating etc, I will take care of it all.. I will be calling you soon.

THANKS, Al
281-469-2846