Just bought an unrestored XK-19 in Sweden!

Just bought an unrestored XK-19 in Sweden!

October 25th, 2017, 10:08 am #1

Hi there,
I´m a guy from Sweden that just sold my 1937 mahogany runabout to purchase a 1971/72 Chris Craft XK-19 and now I'm looking for support and info regarding this specifik boat!

This XK-19 has spent its entire life, so far, in Lake Arrowhead, California in a large boat storage and actually came without a trailer so that had to be bought before shipping it to Sweden!
The boat seems to be all original and has never been exposed for the sun for longer period, cause the gelcoat is still shiny and bright in color.

The engine and Volvo/CC 270 stern drive seems to me matching numbers but I'm not sure. The engine is the high performance model called 350 FLVHP and should have 350 hp.

Interior is in very good shape with white seats and carpet is brown. Original CC steering wheel under that ugly skin and the cool Camaro/Pontiac tachometer is great lookin.
The hull is white/bronze with white deck. The siesta pad is missing sadly.
The stripes are rather unusual but I've seen them looking like this on some old pics and sales brochures but maybe you can help me out here....they are solid brown/bronze with red thin stripes on the sides.

The top deck has its typical sunken areas round the windshield as almost every XK/S has, I've been told?!

Data:
HIN are ORCZ-19 2042V and the 350 FLVHP engine no are 611186. Has 780 hrs on the meter.
This makes this XK-19 a late 1971 or early 1972 or what do you say?

Pics:

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
Last edited by hgger69 on October 25th, 2017, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 25th, 2017, 11:02 am #2

Stunning example.
Cheers,
Marco

October 25th, 2017, 4:39 pm #3

Thanx Marco!
I don't have the boat at home yet, probably not until April or May next year..
What more do you want to know?

All the crome parts are almost in mint condition and everything electrical works. The deck search light is stunning and works great!
In the engine bay it looks al original and even the thin cover on the floor that are mounted with staples are there!
It also came with the original, and probably never used, brown bimini top!

Here are some more pics:

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
Last edited by hgger69 on October 28th, 2017, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 25th, 2017, 9:18 pm #4

Hi there,
I´m a guy from Sweden that just sold my 1937 mahogany runabout to purchase a 1971/72 Chris Craft XK-19 and now I'm looking for support and info regarding this specifik boat!

This XK-19 has spent its entire life, so far, in Lake Arrowhead, California in a large boat storage and actually came without a trailer so that had to be bought before shipping it to Sweden!
The boat seems to be all original and has never been exposed for the sun for longer period, cause the gelcoat is still shiny and bright in color.

The engine and Volvo/CC 270 stern drive seems to me matching numbers but I'm not sure. The engine is the high performance model called 350 FLVHP and should have 350 hp.

Interior is in very good shape with white seats and carpet is brown. Original CC steering wheel under that ugly skin and the cool Camaro/Pontiac tachometer is great lookin.
The hull is white/bronze with white deck. The siesta pad is missing sadly.
The stripes are rather unusual but I've seen them looking like this on some old pics and sales brochures but maybe you can help me out here....they are solid brown/bronze with red thin stripes on the sides.

The top deck has its typical sunken areas round the windshield as almost every XK/S has, I've been told?!

Data:
HIN are ORCZ-19 2042V and the 350 FLVHP engine no are 611186. Has 780 hrs on the meter.
This makes this XK-19 a late 1971 or early 1972 or what do you say?

Pics:

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
Hakan!
You my friend are the lucky owner of a classic, very rare and wonderful sportboat survivor in incredibly fine factory configuration. Congratulations!!! Wow, I mean WOW!

I've never seen one of these in its original condition that has not been restored. I'm sure many of us would love to learn it's history and how it came into your possession.

I can tell you everything appears to be original but cannot say whether the interior vinyl is or not. Other XK-19 owners may know and comment I hope. The engine is the high output (HO) 350FLV rated at 300-320 hp depending upon which year Chris-Craft literature you read. It even appears to be wearing it's factory paint and appliques right down to the painted alloy "Corvette crossed-flags emblem" valve covers.

As you may know, CC was buying the prized, high performance solid-lifter LT-1 engines from General Motors Chevrolet Division used in their Corvette and Camaro Z-28 models of the early '70s, and then CC was marinizing them. The workers at the CC factory just sprayed everything blue including the hoses and those gorgeous alloy valve covers. Here's how a rebuilt one looks w the paint removed from a photo of the original 350FLV in our XK-22:

As for your boat's color scheme, it looks factory correct with the bronze/brown gelcoat portions accented with red stripes. That is the same as used on our 1972 XK-22 albeit your XK-19 gelcoat and stripes are in much better condition than ours which is well worn :

Very best of luck with your great find and keep us posted with more photos and updates!

Skol!
Craig L

Last edited by clindberg on October 25th, 2017, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 26th, 2017, 7:29 pm #5

Wow, thanks for your extremely kind words, Craig! I really appreciate it!

Regarding the engine I understand that our XK has the 350 FLVHP where HP stands for High Performance and in this version for 1971-72 was rated tas high as 350 HP.
The standard 350 FLV has a slighter lower rate appr. 300-320 HP, or has i gotten it all wrong?

I´m not sure if the starting key/switch is original but all the rest of the switches seems to bee original...but they weren't that accurate when they drilled the holes for the switches at CC I guess?

Hosted on Fotki

Oh, and the former owner i US was a Micahel(?) Buscemi in Running Springs, CA. This according to the title I got with the boat.
I got the boat from a Swedish guy that imported it to Sweden this summer.

I really love your XK22, what a pair they would be together!
The finish of your boat and trailer is amazing!!

October 26th, 2017, 7:56 pm #6

There is a Michael Buscemi who runs a place called Mile High Marine Storage and Service in Running Springs. That would be worth a phone call. Maybe he has some history on that sweet XK. 909-337-4460

Thomas
Thomas

October 26th, 2017, 8:30 pm #7

Regarding the engine I understand that our XK has the 350 FLVHP where HP stands for High Performance and in this version for 1971-72 was rated tas high as 350 HP.
The standard 350 FLV has a slighter lower rate appr. 300-320 HP, or has i gotten it all wrong?

I´m not sure if the starting key/switch is original but all the rest of the switches seems to bee original...but they weren't that accurate when they drilled the holes for the switches at CC I guess?

Hosted on Fotki

Oh, and the former owner i US was a Micahel(?) Buscemi in Running Springs, CA. This according to the title I got with the boat.

Hi Håkan! And congrats on that spectacular find!

It seems to be in an extremely good condition and with very few things changed or added. I would think that those red stripes are non original, in the broschure they are brown (as the other striping) and the ones on the deck are wider than the present red. The red stripes just above the boot line should not be there at all (again they are not there in the broschure not even in brown). As for the switches I have never seen these kind of switches on a CC (I may not have seen that many though) they usually are of the pull/push variety chromed and not toggle (vippströmbrytare) but the surrounds are correct!

Where will you be using and showing the boat? Close to Stockholm?

October 26th, 2017, 8:46 pm #8

There is a Michael Buscemi who runs a place called Mile High Marine Storage and Service in Running Springs. That would be worth a phone call. Maybe he has some history on that sweet XK. 909-337-4460
Thanx, Craig. Unfortunately I'm not able to phone the US due to company restriction on my cell phone, which also is my only phone.
I´ve tried to send the company an email but they only had like a form to send...you don't seam to use email in the US as much as we do here in Europe I guess?

The story regarding the boat is that it´s always been stored inside near lake Arrowhead and this company that you found match that story perfect!

October 26th, 2017, 9:02 pm #9

Hi Håkan! And congrats on that spectacular find!

It seems to be in an extremely good condition and with very few things changed or added. I would think that those red stripes are non original, in the broschure they are brown (as the other striping) and the ones on the deck are wider than the present red. The red stripes just above the boot line should not be there at all (again they are not there in the broschure not even in brown). As for the switches I have never seen these kind of switches on a CC (I may not have seen that many though) they usually are of the pull/push variety chromed and not toggle (vippströmbrytare) but the surrounds are correct!

Where will you be using and showing the boat? Close to Stockholm?
Hi Thomas,
Thanx for the kind words, makes me happy!

But I've sen brochures where the deck stripes are one thick stripe brown and without the thin small brown besides as normal..but you can be right regarding the the thin red ones...
I also learned from the car brochures that the reality often doesn't match the real world!
But the thin red on the hull is correct, lok at he XK22 from the same year above, same thin red stripe there!

But the toggle switches are correct for a 1971/-72 Chris Craft XK-19 in my opinion. I´ve seen a lot of them on the web.

The boat is going to be up north in Umeå where i live.
Are you from Stockholm, Thomas?

October 27th, 2017, 12:51 pm #10

Hosted on Fotki

Hakan,
When Chris-Craft introduced the XK-22 someone at the factory thought it would be a good idea to use the 350FLV in a HIGH COMPRESSION configuration of 11.0:1 that was rated at 350 HP @ 5800 RPM according to their specification sheet of the day. Aside from requiring a very high octane fuel, there may have been other issues reported by the dealer's customers so starting with engine serial number 611027 they were installing 9.0:1 compression engines rated at 320 HP @ 5600 RPM.

As for the question of color scheme w the bronze, the red accent striping appears to have been used on 1972 and earlier models. In 1973 and later it appears they switched to using brown accent striping like that on the XK-22 owned by John Bakke who has posted here. Not a big deal but thought you would like to know your boat exterior is original in all likelihood.

As for your interior vinyl, I happened to have taken photos of a beautifully restored and show winning XK-19 at the 2013 Buffalo Launch Club classic boat show near Buffalo, NY. It's interior was brown vinyl like that in my XK-22. Looking up the XK-19 (1970-1974) in the Chris-Craft Essential Guide, under Upholstery they list "White, brown, yellow". As to when these colors were used and available is unknown to me.

Skol!
Craig L