Is this a Commander Sports Express, or what ?

Is this a Commander Sports Express, or what ?

February 18th, 2006, 4:52 pm #1

Edit comment: Since this thread was started, the boat was identified as the 30' Hunt-designed Commander Sportsman by Bill Thomas, and here is a relavant thread about another couple that have surfaced since then!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/thread/1151788383

Here is the thread as originally posted below:
---------------------

These photos were posted before we identified this model as a Commander. In fact, this boat was photographed at the Michigan City Commander Rendezvous a few years ago, it is a rare Commander model, and nobody at the rendezvous apparently knew, or cared to invite the guy over. I snapped some photos, not knowing Chris Craft even built a 30' Commander at the time, and apparently nobody else did either. Too bad, because it is a rare model, and the guy seemed to be hovering close by hoping to get a "come-on over we'd love to look at your boat", but alas, it was an opportunity missed, a close encouter that didn't happen, like ships passing in the night. We later saw him speeding by in the chop, as if to demonstrate the capability of the hull, but nobody got a chance to talk with him, nor did he set foot aboard any of the Commanders at that event. Sad but true.

So now, thanks to Bill Thomas identifying the model as a Commander, we have learned a lot more about it and we actually have quite a nice package of info here about this model. Bill Millar has one that is totally world class, equipped with the latest fishing electronics, and it is also beautifully prepared in every way. You will find photos of his dark painted hull in the archives, and links below. Enjoy..........Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on September 14th, 2009, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bill thomas
bill thomas

February 18th, 2006, 5:36 pm #2

That boat is a Chris-Craft 30' Sportsman 1976-77, sister boat to the 30' Tournament fisherman 1975-77. This is the only Chris-Craft hull designed by C. Ray Hunt, and a beautiful riding boat in heavy weather. A lot of guys on the east coast prefer this boat to the Bertrams or Blackfins, and so spend a lot of money maintaining, restoring, and repowering these boats - and so they sell for good prices.
I have a good friend with a Sportsman in immaculate condition, boathouse kept, and it gets attention wherever he goes. His "other boat" is a Buddy Davis 61', also immaculate and boathouse kept.

February 18th, 2006, 7:27 pm #3

Those are good looking boats, ideally suited for the chop.

Charlie
Commander35
Cape Vincent, NY

Paul
Paul

February 18th, 2006, 8:54 pm #4

Edit comment: Since this thread was started, the boat was identified as the 30' Hunt-designed Commander Sportsman by Bill Thomas, and here is a relavant thread about another couple that have surfaced since then!

---------------------

These photos were posted before we identified this model as a Commander. In fact, this boat was photographed at the Michigan City Commander Rendezvous a few years ago, it is a rare Commander model, and nobody at the rendezvous apparently knew, or cared to invite the guy over. I snapped some photos, not knowing Chris Craft even built a 30' Commander at the time, and apparently nobody else did either. Too bad, because it is a rare model, and the guy seemed to be hovering close by hoping to get a "come-on over we'd love to look at your boat", but alas, it was an opportunity missed, a close encouter that didn't happen, like ships passing in the night. We later saw him speeding by in the chop, as if to demonstrate the capability of the hull, but nobody got a chance to talk with him, nor did he set foot aboard any of the Commanders at that event. Sad but true.

So now, thanks to Bill Thomas identifying the model as a Commander, we have learned a lot more about it and we actually have quite a nice package of info here about this model. Bill Millar has one that is totally world class, equipped with the latest fishing electronics, and it is also beautifully prepared in every way. You will find photos of his dark painted hull in the archives, and links below. Enjoy..........Paul

Another bit if info I didn't know. I think the guy was showing off a bit, as he was interested in our boats, and then gave us a demonstration of how his would run in the chop. It ran well, by the way!

That's a really attractive package, not much of an indoors, but for warmer weather, it would be a heck of a lot of fun. I imagine it's a great fishing boat.

Paul

bill thomas
bill thomas

February 19th, 2006, 2:53 am #5

---------------------

I wasn't sure the 30'Sportsman and TF were actually called Commanders, so checked the 1976 and 1977 price lists and found that yes they were - also found a 1977 brochure "The Chris-Craft Fleet" - below is a scan of the Sports Fisherman section.

Last edited by FEfinaticP on April 11th, 2011, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

February 19th, 2006, 5:34 pm #6

Bill, a lot of people get to see this information and learn from it. Thanks again for sharing info from your exhaustive library!

Paul

February 19th, 2006, 8:28 pm #7

Bill, your contributions have been most appreciated and I've read them from end to end on more than one occasion.

Howard

Rob Williams
Rob Williams

February 20th, 2006, 1:06 pm #8

.....at the original prices? That would make shopping and borrowing money fun all over again!

Rob

Bill Rayson
Bill Rayson

February 21st, 2006, 4:30 am #9

I wasn't sure the 30'Sportsman and TF were actually called Commanders, so checked the 1976 and 1977 price lists and found that yes they were - also found a 1977 brochure "The Chris-Craft Fleet" - below is a scan of the Sports Fisherman section.

From what I've read here, the 55 wasn't a glass boat, but was a Roamer SF by name and construction?

BRayson

bill thomas
bill thomas

February 22nd, 2006, 12:56 am #10

This is straying from my favorite boats the Commanders... yes, the 55 is an aluminum boat. The brochure I scanned for the Sport Fisherman is titled "The Chris Craft Fleet" and it has all the boats from 17 to 74 feet. The copyright date is 1977 so it could be 1977 or more likely the 1978 fleet. Most of my Chris-Craft brochures have a copyright date the year before the model year. Regarding the aluminum boats, they are not called Roamers in this booklet, but are all listed as "Custom" models. In addition to the 55' are 62' Custom Yacht, 62' Custom Motor Yacht, 70' Custom Yacht Fisherman, 70' Custom Yacht, and the 74' Custom Motor Yacht. There were not many of these boats made - the numbers are in the Essential Guide.

Last edited by FEfinaticP on July 11th, 2011, 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.