I am BACK!!! :)

I am BACK!!! :)

June 12th, 2012, 2:10 am #1

Well Fans, I couldn't hold the boatitus at bay any longer. Tonight I have added a 1973 17' Lancer (as titled anyway) to the fleet of "Thee Forum". I think the hull # is ORKZ 17 2037V. My eyes could have been tricking me though. Engine # is 363216. A CC V6, with a Chris Craft 280 transdrive. The hull and bottom, which has never seen a paint brush, along with the deck stripe are a funky goldish color over an off white that appears to be the same Wimbledon White as the early Commanders on the deck and interior and boot stripe. The gold looks like a 1973 Frigidaire. Or even more, the delicious brown mustard at Cleveland Browns Stadium. That means this little gal will have to do something memorable to keep from being named "HotDog" hahaha...

I am dying to share pictures, but I haven't resolved the photobucket upload issues. I am working with the PB support site, but no answers so far. After browsing and opening a picture file, I hit the upload button and the photobucket box is refilled by a connection reset message in the same box.....HELP so I can show off the new boat!

I am absolutely ecstatic that I can be more than an observer here again. I welcome all ideas and info while I plan a strategy for this resto. Starting with confirmation of the #s from someone with an "Essential guide" handy.

Regards and a huge smile to all.

Chris Wade
1940 15'6" CC RB
AND NOW
1973 17' Lancer Custom (I think)

Mike G
Mike G

June 12th, 2012, 3:37 am #2

The mariners museum holds the original paper work on the boat that you purchased. When I purchased my first CC. Tim Toth purchased as a gift the paper work from the mariners museum. As with the Lancer that I purchased I did the same along with the original wirimg diagram. The information that came was invaluable to the restore project. Just my thoughts.

June 12th, 2012, 11:22 am #3

Well Fans, I couldn't hold the boatitus at bay any longer. Tonight I have added a 1973 17' Lancer (as titled anyway) to the fleet of "Thee Forum". I think the hull # is ORKZ 17 2037V. My eyes could have been tricking me though. Engine # is 363216. A CC V6, with a Chris Craft 280 transdrive. The hull and bottom, which has never seen a paint brush, along with the deck stripe are a funky goldish color over an off white that appears to be the same Wimbledon White as the early Commanders on the deck and interior and boot stripe. The gold looks like a 1973 Frigidaire. Or even more, the delicious brown mustard at Cleveland Browns Stadium. That means this little gal will have to do something memorable to keep from being named "HotDog" hahaha...

I am dying to share pictures, but I haven't resolved the photobucket upload issues. I am working with the PB support site, but no answers so far. After browsing and opening a picture file, I hit the upload button and the photobucket box is refilled by a connection reset message in the same box.....HELP so I can show off the new boat!

I am absolutely ecstatic that I can be more than an observer here again. I welcome all ideas and info while I plan a strategy for this resto. Starting with confirmation of the #s from someone with an "Essential guide" handy.

Chris Wade
1940 15'6" CC RB
AND NOW
Yup, 1973 model year boat according to the CC hull ID.

Andreas

June 12th, 2012, 12:30 pm #4

I think the 17' in gold is one of the nicest looking Lancers. Thanks to boats like this, the 70's styles and colors are actually becoming cool again. Nice get.

Paul
Paul

June 12th, 2012, 2:24 pm #5

Chris Wade
1940 15'6" CC RB
AND NOW
Chris,

Welcome baaaack into the fold (officially). That model is absolutely cool, all Chris Craft, and should be an absolute blast. It should also be pretty easy to launch and retrieve too. So far you are "the only" person to report having this particular model and I say this regarding this web site and any others I've visited too so we are eager to see the photos for sure.

Regarding your photobucket account. I recently "upgraded" uggggh I hate that word when it is associated with software, to IE version 9. When I did so my screen saver disappeared, youtube would not work any more, and I could not activate direct links nor could I upload any photos onto photobucket. I have Firefox on my computer too and switching over to Firefox allowed all of this to still happen so that gives me time to resolve the issues on IE. I suspect you are using Internet Explorer, eh?

In any case, back to the boat, here are some scans from the archives. I don't see Jim Wynne being mentioned, but there is plenty about the "famous Lancer deep-v hull" so this is most likely a Jim Wynne design too, because he did all the other Lancer hulls in this era.

Good luck with the photobucket thing, send me the photos I'll uppload em for you in the interim.

best,

Paul

John Kloka
John Kloka

June 12th, 2012, 3:45 pm #6

Chris Wade
1940 15'6" CC RB
AND NOW
I love it! Can't wait to see pics... I know you'll have her all dialed in in record time. I love the 17. Congrats!

Jerry
Jerry

June 12th, 2012, 4:47 pm #7

Chris Wade
1940 15'6" CC RB
AND NOW
Paul, Chris and All:
Good Get, Chris! Let the fun begin. Maybe this will also bring back hot pants, outdoor movies, etc.! But leave the green shag out of the formula. LOL,
Jerry

June 12th, 2012, 9:08 pm #8

Chris Wade
1940 15'6" CC RB
AND NOW
And "finally" is the word for today. I "finally" found a new project to mess about with. I "finally" got the photos in the bucket by going directly to their site! So, here we go....

This is where and how I found her. Sitting here for two years, less than 10 minutes from home. I had to drive right past 20 times with out seeing her.

After looking around a little bit, I starting to trace the #'s, but then just stood up and hit the guy with an offer that would have made Mark Wellar blush. Done Deal!! WPS applied and excepted.

Let's assume for now that this is the original 6 banger

Let's also assume for now that there is NO possible way I that I am lucky enough that this hour meter shows the true total hours of operation on this motor.

Unpainted original gel-coat on the bottom. Pretty unusual for a 39 (let's just say 40) year old boat. Perched on a galvanized steel, fixed bunk, single axle trailer.

Did you know???? I did not, that the racing strip gel coat on a 17' Chris Craft Lancer is finished with a leather grain texture...The flybridge on my 38' (which was CC factory issue) shared this detail.

This thingie mounted on the flat part seems customized for extra ventilation, some are known to have completely removed these contraptions....

Can you say Jim Wynne DEEP-VEE.

This Chris Craft Transdrive should be in great shape after minimal stress from the 150 hp momo.

All badging and original hardware seems intact. Some of it is in very good shape, the rest......

Original dash and steering wheel. We have seen this wheel on a lot of different Lancer models. On the XK 22 the rubber is replaced by Walnut or teak, We might know more about that XK 22 detail tomorrow...............

So this is it! Time to get my hands dirty. Gotta figure where to apply the teak trim, I need a varnish fix..)

Yours Truly,
Chris Wade feeling like I just had a first date with a new hottie.

Paul
Paul

June 12th, 2012, 10:07 pm #9

Boats that are set aside seem to sometimes just get lost in a time warp and the years just flip by one at a time very quickly. Then all of a sudden, someone comes around and pulls the trigger on a SAVE or maybe the final trip to destruction. This boat is lucky, because it has by chance encountgered a classic soul who appreciates a classic soul in a boat. If it could be jumping for joy on its own it would be doing so now, but it will wait patiently until it can jump for joy with Chris at the helm and six cylinders of Buick torque pushing.

Hey Chris LOOK at that deep-V too, sheesh that boat has offshore racer in its blood. How about the motor, is it a keeper, a repair, a runner or a replacement awaiting? The boat looks all there, and a good scrub job may produce remarkable results. I trust seats are gone. Where is the fuel tank in one of these?

Also do you know any history of the boat. Where has it been sleeping all these years, why was it put up in the first place, etc. Also, congrats for figuring out the photo quiz, whatever it was you beat it.

best,

Paul

Greg42sf
Greg42sf

June 13th, 2012, 12:17 pm #10

And "finally" is the word for today. I "finally" found a new project to mess about with. I "finally" got the photos in the bucket by going directly to their site! So, here we go....

This is where and how I found her. Sitting here for two years, less than 10 minutes from home. I had to drive right past 20 times with out seeing her.

After looking around a little bit, I starting to trace the #'s, but then just stood up and hit the guy with an offer that would have made Mark Wellar blush. Done Deal!! WPS applied and excepted.

Let's assume for now that this is the original 6 banger

Let's also assume for now that there is NO possible way I that I am lucky enough that this hour meter shows the true total hours of operation on this motor.

Unpainted original gel-coat on the bottom. Pretty unusual for a 39 (let's just say 40) year old boat. Perched on a galvanized steel, fixed bunk, single axle trailer.

Did you know???? I did not, that the racing strip gel coat on a 17' Chris Craft Lancer is finished with a leather grain texture...The flybridge on my 38' (which was CC factory issue) shared this detail.

This thingie mounted on the flat part seems customized for extra ventilation, some are known to have completely removed these contraptions....

Can you say Jim Wynne DEEP-VEE.

This Chris Craft Transdrive should be in great shape after minimal stress from the 150 hp momo.

All badging and original hardware seems intact. Some of it is in very good shape, the rest......

Original dash and steering wheel. We have seen this wheel on a lot of different Lancer models. On the XK 22 the rubber is replaced by Walnut or teak, We might know more about that XK 22 detail tomorrow...............

So this is it! Time to get my hands dirty. Gotta figure where to apply the teak trim, I need a varnish fix..)

Yours Truly,
Chris Wade feeling like I just had a first date with a new hottie.
Chris welcom back. Nice to see you boating again.