Hey do you guys remember back when I was looking for a 23 Lancer ? ( I am again now ! )

Hey do you guys remember back when I was looking for a 23 Lancer ? ( I am again now ! )

Paul
Paul

March 14th, 2010, 6:48 pm #1

Don't tell Janet!

Dave don't worry, the one I'm looking for is a nice inboard Lancer with a totally destroyed drivetrain that someone wants to give away. We're not looking for the same boat, as I understand you are looking for one in runningn condition. Seems to me those two 427 motors I have in the basement, holding up one end of the shop, have been sitting there way too long and they need to be used. Therefore I'm looking for an inboard Lancer and plan to install a hotted up version of the big dog, taking a page from the Namken Book Of Rationalization. Since I don't think two will fit in a Lancer, guess one will have to do. Close branch on the Commander family tree, Dick Avery design, Jim Wynne hull, power by FoMoCo, what's not to like about it!

I'd go for an outdrive model but I don't think the outdrive would hold up against the torque of the big dog. Therefore I'm thinking about going the easier route with a drop in center inboard installation where the 23 has plenty of room. Who knows what one of those hulls would do with 375 to 400 horsepower? Maybe we'll find out?

If I can find one cheap enough, I can swing the deal. I may have to call in Mark Weller to use one of those telescoping knee whackers like Tanya Harding's boyfriend used. I know Mark would do it for a friend.

In any case, if you guys spot something that looks promising and it's not on the other side timbucktoo, lemme know. Have trailer, will travel.

Regards,

Paul

Reece
Reece

March 15th, 2010, 12:50 am #2

How about a 17' Corsair with a renault/gm/mercruiser package?

anonymous
anonymous

March 15th, 2010, 1:14 am #3

I think FANDINGHY would sink under the weight of a big block Ford. Get that thing running and once you hear it run, you'll want to put in into action. Pretty rare boat, have only seen a couple like it ever.

You got a chance to see my Skiff in action this last summer, man that day was hotter than heck, and I was somehow caught out wearing long trousers. I was cooking, you guys were all in the water doing it right. Anyway, I love the Skiff, but I keep looking at those motors in my shop and they sure would work well in a big 23 foot Lancer. I may actually keep the gear reductions and go with a 1-3/8" shaft in the bad boy, and just increase the pitch until I get the speed potential.

Oh well, dreaming doesn't cost anything. Maybe someone will help me find a cheap 23' hull in good shape, with a trashed motor.

Regards, Paul

Reece
Reece

March 15th, 2010, 2:53 am #4

I was thiking of squeezing more iron into the corsair...... but for now I will use the 1108cc renault.. If I ever get any time..

Eric Jensen
Eric Jensen

March 15th, 2010, 11:33 am #5

Don't tell Janet!

Dave don't worry, the one I'm looking for is a nice inboard Lancer with a totally destroyed drivetrain that someone wants to give away. We're not looking for the same boat, as I understand you are looking for one in runningn condition. Seems to me those two 427 motors I have in the basement, holding up one end of the shop, have been sitting there way too long and they need to be used. Therefore I'm looking for an inboard Lancer and plan to install a hotted up version of the big dog, taking a page from the Namken Book Of Rationalization. Since I don't think two will fit in a Lancer, guess one will have to do. Close branch on the Commander family tree, Dick Avery design, Jim Wynne hull, power by FoMoCo, what's not to like about it!

I'd go for an outdrive model but I don't think the outdrive would hold up against the torque of the big dog. Therefore I'm thinking about going the easier route with a drop in center inboard installation where the 23 has plenty of room. Who knows what one of those hulls would do with 375 to 400 horsepower? Maybe we'll find out?

If I can find one cheap enough, I can swing the deal. I may have to call in Mark Weller to use one of those telescoping knee whackers like Tanya Harding's boyfriend used. I know Mark would do it for a friend.

In any case, if you guys spot something that looks promising and it's not on the other side timbucktoo, lemme know. Have trailer, will travel.

Regards,

Paul

A V-drive. Weren't there a few 427 V-drives built? This would settle a couple of the compromises between I/O and straight shaft layouts. I mostly mention it to expand the universe of possible boats.
Eric

Jerry
Jerry

March 15th, 2010, 12:47 pm #6

Don't tell Janet!

Regards,

Paul

Paul and All:
Desperate times call for desperate measures! I have awarded CPO Rob Schiller the Boatits Feaver Reducer Medal, with devices, several times for his extraordinary efforts at pointing me to low cost and no cost CC boats and, especially Lancers, that we secured right under my wife's nose and I didn't have to lie that much! Rob is like a chained up, hydrophobic, hybrid cross between a Rotwiller, a 427, and a Navy Seal Zodiac with a bad attitude when it comes to finding the right kind of boat! Go Rob, go get 'em! There, that ought to do the trick! Now give Rob a little time and he will produce. I think he operates much like Mark Weller. Under the Radar, quietly, and doesn't know the meaning of no.

Paul, get ready for a trailer trip to the east. You and Janet can stay with Nadia in Virginia when you come through. That goes for any other Commander that is needing a stopover in the DC - Annapolis area. I will point you out to the Summer Palace and you can take her out for a spin in my absence.
Jerry - Wings Up on Tuesday for a LANO Landing at FOB Boris. (LANO = Low Altitude, No Opening, the semi-opposite of a HALO jump. FOB = Forward Operating Base)

Paul
Paul

March 15th, 2010, 2:19 pm #7

Guys,

We're starting to morph into some sort of boating avatar?

The word is out, I'm looking for the cleanest inboard Lancer I can get for low dollars, and yes Eric, I would consider a V-drive model but those are very few and far between so I just discounted that possibility. I saw a V drive for a 427 on ebay and had thoughts of making a conversion, but the boat is big enough to stand a 427 inboard and that's what seems logical within the fog of boatitis.

PS: my starboard 427 is actually running with a small drop of blood inside the valve cover right now. Wonder if it would show up on the oil analyis?

Regards,

Paul

John Kloka
John Kloka

March 15th, 2010, 3:02 pm #8

Don't tell Janet!

Regards,

Paul

Paul...

I've got ya covered, buddy... I'll find ya one up here! Get ready...

Oh yeah, "BMW"...

"Bring Money Witcha"

John Kloka.

Paul
Paul

March 15th, 2010, 3:06 pm #9

Can we do a cash deal after dark? Have title in hand, no Xerox copies.
Meet me at the end of the lumber yard, 10:00 PM, have the boat with you.

Paul

Kevin
Kevin

March 15th, 2010, 4:03 pm #10

Paul...

I've got ya covered, buddy... I'll find ya one up here! Get ready...

Oh yeah, "BMW"...

"Bring Money Witcha"

John Kloka.
John,

Do you miss your Lancer? Do you still feel the need with the 28, to have a runabout?

Perhaps a Whaler to leave at the cottage?

Kevin