Gallons per hour... Floscans issues???

Gallons per hour... Floscans issues???

March 2nd, 2011, 3:32 pm #1

Do any of you have floscans? Do you ever get dis-similar readings on the two as you are cruising with both engines at the same rpm? On one floscan it'll say I'm using 18gph and on the other it'll say 10gph.... something is going on here. I'm wondering if one engine is out of tune or one of my Floscans are messed up. Any imput?

I have a 1969 31 sportfish with 260hp Mercruiser 350's

James Brunette
James Brunette

March 2nd, 2011, 4:16 pm #2

I suppose you could change the wiring from one sensor to another, to see if the reading is the same on the dial face.

JB

March 2nd, 2011, 6:50 pm #3

Lowrance units... the GPH reading fluctuates dramatically every few seconds however I have found other displays such as fuel used in gallons that appears to be much more accurate. Will play with itthis summer but I am not very happy so far with the experience or accuracy.

Jim
Seattle

March 3rd, 2011, 3:55 am #4

I checked my actual fuel usage in my tanks and it turns out the engine I thought was using more fuel actually was not. It had better fuel milage than the other. So I'm not very confident in the Floscans as of right now, but I also noticed the guy mounted them incorrectly which I hope is the real problem.

March 3rd, 2011, 7:02 am #5

Were they not pointing up or something like that? Mine aren;t mounted solidly to the stringer yet but are almost upright as they should be... I can't see that mounting them directly to the stringer would correct for them being so far off.
Jim
Seattle

March 3rd, 2011, 2:10 pm #6

I thought they were suppose to be mounted where they are horizontal?

March 3rd, 2011, 7:24 pm #7

The Lowrance units are small and have an arrow on them that must point straight up per the instructions. Not sure what the mounting criteria is for the floscans.

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine ... Fuel-Flow/

Actually, after reviewing the page above I noticed they need to be mounted above the high level of the gas tank... something I did not do. Looks like I have some plumbing to do this spring. I will need to move my filters and the flow sensors to higher ground and will bend 3/8" stainless to replace my existing lines.

Jim
Seattle

March 3rd, 2011, 8:34 pm #8

I often have to redo my installs.... Then I normally read the instructions and do it right...

Jerry
Jerry

March 4th, 2011, 2:27 am #9

Paul, Will, Jim, and All:
Will, welcome to the club! None of us read the directions first. You are not supposed to. The directions are to be used only if you don't or can't figure it on your own, or the first time around. As Paul says...Sheeeesh! Clearly you suffer from boatitus like the rest of us, if you recognize this important behavior.
Jerry Sidewalk

March 4th, 2011, 4:00 am #10

Instruction..... we don't need no stickin instructions. I went down to the boat today with the intentions of changing the Floscans position to horizontal and ended up day dreaming the day away poking around and thinking of all the possibilities. I guess that's one of the symptoms of boatitus. I guess the only cure is another warm lazy day on the boat. I'm so glad we're finally starting to get into the 80's here.