Challenger's Toe Rail Repair

Challenger's Toe Rail Repair

May 10th, 2009, 1:10 am #1

Challenger was launched this week and I can share some pics of a toe rail repair project that I worked on all winter.

14' of the boat's mahogany toe rail needed replacement and I have to admit that these projects can grow in scope. I finally finished it last week, took some photos along the way and Challenger now has a photo gallery at this link:

http://apps.yachtchallenger.com/Gallery/index.cfm

Challenger's website address is: www.yachtchallenger.com

This forum continues to inspire me to boldly go where I've never been and to strive for Commander quality. I wouldn't have tried this alone!

Bill M

Tom Slayton
Tom Slayton

May 10th, 2009, 11:47 am #2

[/IMG]

Great photos, and great job with the woodwork and bright finish, I can smell varnish! Was under the impression CC used teak on toe rails, the mahogany looks fabulous.

Tom

May 10th, 2009, 12:41 pm #3

Challenger was launched this week and I can share some pics of a toe rail repair project that I worked on all winter.

14' of the boat's mahogany toe rail needed replacement and I have to admit that these projects can grow in scope. I finally finished it last week, took some photos along the way and Challenger now has a photo gallery at this link:

http://apps.yachtchallenger.com/Gallery/index.cfm

Challenger's website address is: www.yachtchallenger.com

This forum continues to inspire me to boldly go where I've never been and to strive for Commander quality. I wouldn't have tried this alone!

Bill M
Nice work man, I KNOW what kind of effort (and dollars) that requires. Be proud, you deserve it.

May 10th, 2009, 1:39 pm #4

Thanks, guys. Chris Wade's series of photos gave me the confidence to to get into this much needed repair. It can cause some anxiety mid-winter when there's a stack of stanchions sitting in a pile of sawdust. I looked at Chris's photos for encouragement.

I have the impression that nearly all vintage Commanders have teak toe rails, but the couple that ordered this boat new told me that they wanted mahogany toe rails and railings as a special order. I'll agree that mahogany glitters nicely in the sun.

Bill M
1973 ChrisCraft Commander 41
427 Power

Paul
Paul

May 10th, 2009, 2:56 pm #5

Hi Bill, great looking work you've done with the boat. The regatta flagship will be looking good this year eh? Very interesting to know about the original owner specifying mahogany! It's a great looking wood and I'm sure the boat looks a lot better in person than in the photos. I'm mentally building up to the point where I can do something like that too, Chris Wade's photo documentary is an inspiration, but it is also pretty clear about the serious amount of work involved with pulling something like this off and doing it to such a high standard. I've seen his work in person, and it leaves nothing to be desired.

Here's to a trouble free season of 427 motoring in high style up on Seneca Lake !

regards, best,

Paul