And yet another Lancer 23...

And yet another Lancer 23...

October 8th, 2011, 10:18 pm #1

This one looks really nice, actually. $3,200

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/2639415374.html

Ad Copy:

"This is a solid,23" chris craft (Lancer),straight inboard Eng. It has a 350 Chevy,4 Bolt main, Fresh water cooled engine. This boat has a Deep Vee Hull,with a pocket hull, so it only draw's 1.5" of water. Engine and Transmission have less then 100 HR'S on them. Transmission is 1 to 1 ratio, and has a brand new prop. Runs Great! All the bell and whishel's work,Gauges,running light's,Bildge pump's,cabin light's,VHF. The trailer is solid aluminum,Daul Rolyes alxel's , (no leaf spring's). Boat is rock solid,but could use some paint work. These boat's are a classic,and there are not many around anymore. $3200.00. The engine alone is worth that! I just don't have the time for it anymore. Thanks."

Not what I am looking for but I'm really tempted regardless. Decent condition and closed cooling to boot! About an hour or less North of me.

---------------------------------
Jay -- Boatless -- for now...

edit comment: Craigslist photos archived for this thread.
Last edited by FEfinaticP on November 22nd, 2011, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

October 10th, 2011, 6:58 pm #2

So Jay, did you buy this one. Posting was removed by the seller, images are still up for now but will expire in the future. Question is.....who got it? You know these Lancers are good boats, just look at Glenn and Jerry, both those guys have what....10 Lancers between them now? Forget the Shamrock, it's LANCER TIME.

Best, Paul

October 10th, 2011, 10:36 pm #3

I'm actually looking at a couple other options right now. Learning to keep my yap shut tho before actually pulling the trigger as it's a small world.

I'm not sure who got that 23' Lancer but I think it was a nice boat for the $3,200!

---------------------------------
Jay -- Boatless -- for now...

October 13th, 2011, 3:11 am #4

Hey all, fairly new to this site and I absolutely love it. I was the one who purchased the lancer, motor runs great

Can't wait to dive into the restoration will post pics soon. I have a lead on another one in the palm beach area if anyone

Is interested.

October 13th, 2011, 3:13 am #5

Hey jay where a bouts do ya live, I'm in the ft.lauderdale are, if ya want to see it up close. You can give me some ideas

Paul
Paul

October 13th, 2011, 3:00 pm #6

Hey all, fairly new to this site and I absolutely love it. I was the one who purchased the lancer, motor runs great

Can't wait to dive into the restoration will post pics soon. I have a lead on another one in the palm beach area if anyone

Is interested.
First of all "WELCOME ABOARD !! " You got a great model to work with.

These boats are just a stroke of the pen away from being called a Commander, and this is why we pay such deference to the Lancer series here on The Commander Forum. The exact same hull (without prop pocket or outdrive) was used in the V-drive powered 23 Commander, with a different shoe-box-top casting for upper decks of course, but the hulls are basically the same, using the same resin and fiberglass construction techniques.

Around here it is becoming apparant that eveyone who has a larger Commander also needs (or wants) a smaller classic runabout too, and many of us have gone with the classic fiberglass Chris Craft models. There are quite a few to choose from too, all great boats. The 23 Lancer is the biggest of the runabout size boats, knowing the 27 Commander was available in an open Sportsman configuration, and the 30 was too, but they are two entirely different boats for different uses. For now we'll say the 23 is the biggest in the runabout size.

This hull is notorious for being good in the chop, and at 23 feet it is big enough to stand up and walk around too. I have one being prepared for next season now and I can not wait to try it out.

Keep us posted on your progress, there are several guys here who have taken these all the way down and put them back together, so there are plenty of tips you might be able to benefit from.

Regards,

Paul
forum moderator

October 13th, 2011, 8:30 pm #7

Thanks a plenty paul, cant wait to get started on her. Will post pics soon !!!!!!

October 16th, 2011, 9:14 pm #8

Hey Paul

The lancer has a velvet drive 1:1 tranny, but the prop seems very small. I have the opportunity to change things up a bit.

What's the best setup, to add a 1.5:1, or keep the 1:1. Not real familiar with direct drive setup. Would like to have the most

Top end setup possible. The motor is a 350 chevy, and what kind of speed can I expect from that motor w/o drastically

Modifying the engine.

Thanks, I must say I coundnt be happier with the purchase

Paul
Paul

October 17th, 2011, 9:39 pm #9

Hi Steve,

If the boat has a BW Velvet Drive then it most certainy has been repowered or regeared. The stock transmission was 1.5:1 with a 15x16 cupped prop. If you are running a true 1:1 then I would think you need to drop down to a 13x13 for starters and see how she does, because the prop will be spinning a lot faster with 1:1 and smaller makes sense. I saw a Gentlemans Racer with a 13x13 prop, modified onto a true deep v Lancer 23 hull that used to be a transdrive, and the motor was a tweaked 454. Due to the drag factor on the deep v and the prop pocket factor too, I think you will have to experiment a bit, and that is what ebay is for! I did encounter some thoughts that I might not be able to get enough prop under the boat with a 1:1 but that was from the tech guy at ACME propeller as i recall. Best data will come from in-the-water testing.

Regards,

Paul

October 18th, 2011, 12:09 am #10

I quess that's why the prop looked so small in there. Thanks