AHOUY FEELGOOD!

AHOUY FEELGOOD!

August 4th, 2012, 11:52 am #1

Hello Doug, I am SO excited to here from the new skipper of the good ship "FEELGOOD". The 4x4 was the remnants of the forward sampson post installed at the factory. It was sacrificed when the bow pulpit was installed by a P/O. Good choice on the repower. When I had the boat, the SBC's were fine for my use, that is when I could coax them into reliability. I had cooling system issues that kept causing me to overcook them.

As for the aft deck, when I designed and built it, I wanted it to be replaceable. The sheeting is glued to the framing 3m 5200. A sealant cutter tool will be required the cut through the bond, otherwise you will rip the framing apart too! Remove the molding around the perimeter, go into the bilge and cut the 5200 joint, and pop it out. You will see the weak links in my design and you should correct them this time. I wish I wood have put more crown in the structure, and added scuppers in those forward corners where you step up onto the side decks.

I love to varnish, I hope you do too! The best advise I can offer about "Feelgood" She loves to be varnished, a refresher coat every year will pay off big time. Once you get her looking good again, you might as well by a case of Epiphanes or Captains and a lot of sand paper. Is the finish still okay or did they lose it?

Here are some photos in reference to this conversation. I have hundreds of photos of the boat. Feel free to email me any time. Where do you keep her these days?

Hope this helps, and look forward to hearing more. I LOVED that boat. The only reason I sold was that i hit the trifecta a few years ago....divorce, foreclosure and bankruptcy....all good now though!

Yours Truly, Chris Wade

August 5th, 2012, 3:38 pm #2

Thanks for the info, that helps alot. I keep it up in Muskegon lake now. All the varnish is pretty much worn off now. I couldnt do much over the winter because all the other projects that we were doing to the boat.. It is cool to have someone that knows the boat like you do. I hope you dont mind if i ask you a few more questions. I just starting to figure out how to varnish. i have only done the ladder to the flybridge but looks good. it is kind of hard to do outside in the sun and wind. Oh yea, i noticed a pipe or hose coming up under the bow pulpit also, was that a vent or something for the toilet? it sometimes gets kind of smelly inside when the tank is full or getting full. maybe this is just common, i have never had a larger boat before. I still learning about how to do all this stuff. I think i have to figure out how to fix holes and gelcoat as well this winter.. thanks again.

August 5th, 2012, 6:06 pm #3

Doug, I am glad to help in anyway I can. I would like to encourage you to learn the art of posting photos here on the forum. It is very easy once you get it. There are many post explaining how it works, or send Mr. Pletcher an E and he will help I'm sure. Questions with pictures are much easier to understand and answer. In reference to the odor, If the last owner let the varnish work go I am afraid what else. I do know they changed/improved some things though. However, I can't believe they took out my shagadelic carpet!!!

CW

August 7th, 2012, 3:13 pm #4

Don't like the toe rail on your Commander? Well then just rip it out and install a new one!

Easier said than done........

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1160960374

Regards,

Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on August 7th, 2012, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 8th, 2012, 2:42 am #5

Your boat's aft deck is the photo of the day!!! I am honored to have Paul show that photo again. I hope it inspires you, and perhaps others. I have probably made a million cuts in a hundred miles of wood and that it still my favorite project of all time. I hope it is holding up to the years well.

CW

Paul
Paul

August 9th, 2012, 3:36 pm #6

Sure enough, there's FEELGOOD docked alongside DEPORTABLE. This was at a world-record breaking event in 2008 when more Chris Craft Commanders assembled in one location more than any other time in history that we know of. The record was broken again the following year; both events being supported, co-hosted, and funded-in-part by this forum. Ahh the good ole days. I think the 2009 event was the last time Herb Pocklington and Chris Smith shared the podium together, and certainly the only two day event where one got to introduce the other, and then the other got to do the favor the next day. Good times.......and FEELGOOD was there on both times!

And here we have Captain Wade, chill time on the aft deck.

Regards,

Paul

Paul
Paul

August 9th, 2012, 4:21 pm #7

regards,

Paul

Kevin
Kevin

August 10th, 2012, 2:20 pm #8

What motors are in there now?

Paul
Paul

August 10th, 2012, 4:29 pm #9

Hi Kevin,

I believe the gent said he installed a pair of 383 small block strokers.
The boat should do well with that combination.

regards,

Paul

September 6th, 2012, 6:01 pm #10

yes I put a pair of 383 strokers in this past winter and she flys now. It feels great haveing 2 new engins. last summer i had a few problems with the old 350s and it took me forever to get anywhere. It should have 320hp at the shaft now..?? thats what they tell me.