350Q Damper Drive Hub Removal

350Q Damper Drive Hub Removal

November 20th, 2017, 8:37 pm #1

Rebuilding my 350Qs in my 1983 Catalina 350. Have engines out and beginning disassembly. Having no luck in removing the Damper Drive Hub on the engines. Have tried the standard pulley puller, but no luck. Thinking of some heat, but before I try a torch to heat up and expand damper I thought I would seek some other answers.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Paul
Paul

November 20th, 2017, 9:41 pm #2

They are made for that and can generate a lot more pull than the pully or gear pullers.

Paul

November 23rd, 2017, 5:13 am #3

Rebuilding my 350Qs in my 1983 Catalina 350. Have engines out and beginning disassembly. Having no luck in removing the Damper Drive Hub on the engines. Have tried the standard pulley puller, but no luck. Thinking of some heat, but before I try a torch to heat up and expand damper I thought I would seek some other answers.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions/help would be appreciated.
I had to heat it up quite a bit while I had the puller on it, after a while it popped off. You'll need a oxy acetylene torch, my propane one wouldn't cut it, had to borrow a friends.

November 23rd, 2017, 9:57 am #4

A mixture of propane and buthane available in canister.
It has a special nozzle that allows you to add air thus oxygen to the mixture and this in turn makes the flame burn at a higher temp.
It makes steel glow red without the need of oxy-acetilene.
Don't now if it's available in the US though...
Have a nice day,

Marco