1969 60 foot commander

1969 60 foot commander

scott andrew johnson
scott andrew johnson

June 12th, 2012, 4:29 am #1

the boat is berth @ long cove marina in chestertown marina in maryland. It has detroit 12v71n engines, Iam putting two new diesel generators in it. It was water delivered new to daniels yacht basin,the dupont family bought it but were not happy with the performance & sued chriscraft,chriscraft took back the boat & it sat unsold for five years at that time a new owner bought it virtualy new he owned a photo company I believe. I tried to buy the boat about eight years ago,but that did not happen which was a blessing,I was on yacht world @ 330am & saw the boat listed I thought I would call the broker.talked to wife,but by then a person from cinci ohio went to buy boat on a friday,but being rushed backed out,broker called me & said deal fell through.I could not have been happier,I immed bought the boat! I bought the boat from the #3rd owner.I kept the boat @ worton creek marina @ that time.moved the boat down stream due to the yard owner making room to restore a 106 foot 1940 or 1930 trumpy.I feel very blessed to own this boat, I am 58now & always have loved boats! & always will!It is in the blood and only other boaters understand that!

Paul A. Mathias
Paul A. Mathias

June 12th, 2012, 4:34 pm #2

You own Sabor? That was on the same Dock with my parents 55' for years. It has a maroon stripe correct? The last owner was thrown out of Georgetown Yacht Basin when he hit a piling and snapped it off like it was not even there. The 12v71N will make that boat get up you just have to open the lower saloon windows and open two engine hatches. The side air vents do not allow enough air in for them to breathe properly.

scott andrew johnson
scott andrew johnson

June 13th, 2012, 4:12 am #3

yes the boat is named sabor,intials of the second owners children. the third owner was mike wagner.I did not meet him, I bought the boat unseen,I saw it two years earlier,but had a survey done.It does still have the maroon stripe,command bridge was added in 1970 but looks factory since none of 60 were sold with one.except a possible yacht fish in caracas venz except the beam on it is 17ft 3in the beam of a 55,the 60 is 18.so this could have been a five foot ext.they only had one mold for the 60.thanks for the info!

June 16th, 2012, 11:39 pm #4

the boat is berth @ long cove marina in chestertown marina in maryland. It has detroit 12v71n engines, Iam putting two new diesel generators in it. It was water delivered new to daniels yacht basin,the dupont family bought it but were not happy with the performance & sued chriscraft,chriscraft took back the boat & it sat unsold for five years at that time a new owner bought it virtualy new he owned a photo company I believe. I tried to buy the boat about eight years ago,but that did not happen which was a blessing,I was on yacht world @ 330am & saw the boat listed I thought I would call the broker.talked to wife,but by then a person from cinci ohio went to buy boat on a friday,but being rushed backed out,broker called me & said deal fell through.I could not have been happier,I immed bought the boat! I bought the boat from the #3rd owner.I kept the boat @ worton creek marina @ that time.moved the boat down stream due to the yard owner making room to restore a 106 foot 1940 or 1930 trumpy.I feel very blessed to own this boat, I am 58now & always have loved boats! & always will!It is in the blood and only other boaters understand that!
..., this was exactly the complaint that Jackie Gleason supposedly had with his 60' Commander - would not perform as advertised. Still it was a rather larger chunk of GRP, and perhaps Jackie's presence onboard made it nervous (or overloaded). In any case, a fine yacht - just trying to track down the truth to this 'rumor'.
See more on the intracacies of getting 60 feet of CC on plane/history here:
http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/chris ... plane.html
Cheers!
-Eric
Last edited by alloyed2sea on June 16th, 2012, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

June 17th, 2012, 8:36 am #5

Always good hearing from you Eric,

I wonder if his captain ever heard the "going to the moon" comment, either directly or indirectly, lol.

best,

Paul

http://www.youtube.com/embed/LgxqWTL27-Y?rel=0