Watching the Watcher

Watching the Watcher

October 20th, 2010, 11:54 pm #1

Continuing on the same thread that was started by Steely-on in the demons/fish post....

I have to agree that I have issues when those making major decisions - writing schedules - and other calls that can affect the success/sustainability of a team, have an association with a competing team in the league.

I know that volunteers are not beating down the door and therefore we have to work with what we have but I do feel that we could have a much greater level of transparency present in some of the decisions that are made.

Warning : the following story will be chalked up to the "usual Steelhead whining" so any of you "haters" might not want to read on.

As many of you are aware, the Steelheads played a game a couple of weeks back with the Omineca Ice. The Steelheads won that game, but were later stripped of their 2 points. We had a player on the scoresheet who was listed under his mom's married name but carded with his birth name. There was no intent on the part of the steelheads to "pull a fast one" on anybody...the player was carded...it was just an unfortunate clerical error.

We were told that we would be losing the 2 points anyway, and would need to file an appeal with the league along with a $100. Our appeal was un-sucessfull and were now out 2 points plus a $100 !!

I am not going to get into whether or not I feel that call was fair. Technically...it was AN UNFORTUNATE CLERICAL ERROR.

The un-named individual who made the decision also happens to be the GM of a team with whom we have had a long-standing rivalry. I can't help but think this rivalry had some influence in the decision. Whether it did or not I can't say, but hopefully you can see my point.

This same individual was in Smithers recently and had filled out the score sheet for his team. At the end of the game it was noticed that the only goal scored by his team was by a player who was NOT listed on the scoresheet. Though this is technically not a violation of league rules...it certainly qualifies as an UNFORTUNATE CLERICAL ERROR. When asked about it, it was shrugged off as if it were no big deal. I wonder if the score had been 1-0 for Smithers and our only goal was scored by someone not on the scoresheet, if that GM would have thought it was no big deal?

So if this is the guy who has the power to give or take away points at their discretion....who's watching him??

October 21st, 2010, 12:21 am #2

unfortunate for you that it was a clerical error, we had one also. get over it. I doubt that the rivalry factored at all, as I'm aware the steelheads played an uncarded player for some time last season and went unpenalized the the same reason, an opposition exec. didn't want to negatively affect a rival with a decision. The league exec. went over this during the agm and put in a place a rule, would it not be useless if not enforced? We in Burns Lake accepted our misfortune and moved on, perhaps you should too.

October 21st, 2010, 2:41 am #3

We in Burns, is you played a player not carded, and you were Penalized,
there was nothing for you to accept.

We in Smithers played a player that has been carded the same way for the last three yrs in the CIHL and 2 yrs in the BC Jr. BCAHA accepted his carding information, the Statsman for the CIHL must of accepted the information also, because he is still using that forbidden name in his stats summaries.( I know it was the Statsman who brought this carding issue problem to the League, and I am glad that he is on top of it.)
Who are we to say, what a young player wants to be called?

I am hoping that the Steelheads Exc have asked our League President, who were the League Exc that Unanimously rejected the appeal.
That answer could create another Thread on this Forum.

We got to keep you busy Rusty.

October 22nd, 2010, 9:44 pm #4

...imputing that the League President has succumbed to the temptation to gobsmack the Steelheads for two points because he represents the Demons is as sure a way as any to ensure nobody will want to take on the president role next season -- and is a bit of a cheap shot.

The League president DID indeed enlist the aid of other league team reps in re-considering (on appeal) discipline for carding issues -- and found himself fully supported.

Last year there was so many problems involving carding, much of which, we were well aware, was deliberate. But we were unable to agree on the actions to take because the problems came to light somewhat late in the season and were so rampant and widespread that we simply cleaned the slate ... it really was the only reasonable response, but it was not unanimous!!!only by majority.

That is why so much time was spent at the AGM to ensure that all teams reps understood there would be either zero or very little tolerance for similar "errors of ignorance of the rules" in 2010-11. I feel what has happened has represented a swift and unequivocal approach to upholding the much more unanimous decisions at the agm, which I was unable to attend, personally.

Dave has it right - it's early, there were signs that there were again multiple "carding errors" and swift equal action was needed. I'll be surprised if we get a lot of repetition now that teams know this is being closely monitored.

But let's face it -- we can hardly ask referees to go down the lists qualifying players, or ID-ing them -- we need some trust and that's what may be lacking. Most teams seem to manage to get it right -- the same teams seem repeatedly unable to stay on the right side of the rules and that's the real issue. It may all be explainble -- but someone has to make a decision.