View from the west

View from the west

October 17th, 2011, 4:13 pm #1

These rankings are based on Margin of Victory and Margin of Loss......multiplied by the previous weeks ranking...

1) Kitimat - Still number one, squeaking out a win in Terrace against a vastly improved Riverkings so they hold on to top spot for one more week. Be interesting to see how well they play out the season with a By into the Coy cup...

2) William's Lake - Their one test against Smithers is their only black mark so far.. But give them credit, they have dominated the teams they have faced.. literally 46 goals for in 4 games... a plus 28 rating...

3) Smithers - They are consistent and I don't expect them to stay here for long. Great expectations for this team.

4)Quesnel - Undefeated... but untested

5) Houston - .500 hockey... puts them mid pack...

6) Terrace - Good outings against the leagues two best teams, but only one win... Keeps them slightly less than mid pack..but if they keep up the effort I suspect a swift move to the top.

7) Omenica - Quiet this weekend... can they move up, are they improved?

8) Lac La Hache - reasonable outing against Quesnel, and then a sound Thrashing of Hazelton for their first win.

9) Hazelton - 32 goals against in two games - but at least they showed up....

10) Prince Rupert - showed up for a home game but lost to an improved Terrace team... lots to prove before they move up in the rankings.

October 17th, 2011, 6:51 pm #2

No shows and big blowouts promise some big changes along the way this season.

The uneven schedule also will leave a lot of questions and who stands where at which particular time. We've seen the first of a couple of these two days, two teams weekends -- and the results are interesting, but don't tell us much...

We may have to look at some other indicators, goalie stats, goals against overall to get a better idea of who is a home power, a road power - which team can muster a road lineup, etc. This applies more so through November-December. No OT shootouts this season so far as I know?

This may be one of these unusual seasons where the power rankings really don't mean a lot from week to week, with the exception of giving you some feel for teams on a roll.

Head to head games between Smithers, Demons, Houston, Stamps, Terrace and likely the Kangaroos should tell the story going down the road. LLH and Hazelton may have some competition at the lower end from PRR where it's hard to explain why such a collapse has taken place so quickly. I expect that PRR will find a way out, just as Kitimat did last year after a horrible start created by a serious shortage of available road players. As they got healthy or available the team went on a nice improvement roll that took them to a final - with a disappointing result -- with a shorthanded lineup on the critical night.

I sense this is often a work situation in the northern and central interior, as well as some veterans having clashes with demands of family and other recreation activities.

As I always say at this time of the year - power rankings are fun to read -- they don't mean much four games in -- but are a better indicators on New Year's Day.

October 17th, 2011, 11:02 pm #3

I have it...

1. Smithers (4-0) - Dominating win over the next best team in their division.

2. Kitimat (3-0) - Solid road win in Terrace, but competition so far is a combined 1-7... they need to play outside their division.

3. Williams Lake (3-1) - Averaging over 10 goals a game and only loss was a very shorthanded bench. Nerxt weekend will be a better gauge for the Stamps and Roos.

4-8 Agree

9. Prince Rupert (0-4) - A lot of work to do, but they only need to be better then 2 teams to get to the post season.

10. Hazelton (1-4) a 12-4 loss to a winless team and a 20 spot against means there is no where to go but up.
Go Stamps Go!

October 19th, 2011, 9:31 pm #4

No shows and big blowouts promise some big changes along the way this season.

The uneven schedule also will leave a lot of questions and who stands where at which particular time. We've seen the first of a couple of these two days, two teams weekends -- and the results are interesting, but don't tell us much...

We may have to look at some other indicators, goalie stats, goals against overall to get a better idea of who is a home power, a road power - which team can muster a road lineup, etc. This applies more so through November-December. No OT shootouts this season so far as I know?

This may be one of these unusual seasons where the power rankings really don't mean a lot from week to week, with the exception of giving you some feel for teams on a roll.

Head to head games between Smithers, Demons, Houston, Stamps, Terrace and likely the Kangaroos should tell the story going down the road. LLH and Hazelton may have some competition at the lower end from PRR where it's hard to explain why such a collapse has taken place so quickly. I expect that PRR will find a way out, just as Kitimat did last year after a horrible start created by a serious shortage of available road players. As they got healthy or available the team went on a nice improvement roll that took them to a final - with a disappointing result -- with a shorthanded lineup on the critical night.

I sense this is often a work situation in the northern and central interior, as well as some veterans having clashes with demands of family and other recreation activities.

As I always say at this time of the year - power rankings are fun to read -- they don't mean much four games in -- but are a better indicators on New Year's Day.
to see that this was going to be a rebuilding year for the Rampage.

Rob Millar has relocated due to work (or the wife's work) and is now lacing them up for the Steelies. Colt has decided to take a break from the active roster. Throw in some other players that have moved (Kendal Stace-Smith, Dylan Lawrence, JT Ward). Tom 'TJ' Jackson went from the blueline to coaching. I have no clue what the story is with Chris Woodrow, but when you add that all up it's a significant changing of the guard.

Ignoring that fact that a guy like Colt was a heart and soul player that did a lot to keep the team rolling, that list also includes four of the top five Rampage scorers last season. It's also two blueliners that logged significant minutes. Throw in the fact that a couple of the vetrans are nursing some injuries, work and family commitments, it's easy to see that out of neccessity the Rampage have had to ice a much different looking team.

As a team, everyone knew that changes were coming and that they would need to start working in the young guys. That being said, I don't think that they envisioned it needing to happen so quickly.

October 19th, 2011, 11:59 pm #5

I certainly hope the youngsters can start putting together quickly, well... AFTER this coming weekend. But it is difficult to turn around and find over half a dozen guys either willing, or able to replace the caliber of players missing.

It's essential the fans show a bit of patience...

October 20th, 2011, 12:34 am #6

that the youngster will start to find their stride. Many of them showed glimpses in the game against Terrace. It will take time to get back to where they were, but the only way to learn is to be thrown into the fire.

I also think that a majority of the fans here will be somewhat patient, provided that Rupert continues to ice a team that plays hard and is taking stride forward (no matter how small).

October 20th, 2011, 2:20 am #7

I've heard that Chris Woodrow had to head out of town to work fulltime. He had the landslide a few weeks ago and pretty expensive for engineers, lawyers etc when damage not covered by insurance.

Definitely a rebuilding time for the team; but can only get better.