Stampeders @ Steelheads

Stampeders @ Steelheads

January 17th, 2011, 1:54 am #1

Stamps split the weekend. 5-3 Stampeders ,
Shots on Goal, 54-24 Steelheads.

January 17th, 2011, 7:04 am #2

will I have to chsnge my prediction?? -- long way to go...!!!

January 17th, 2011, 7:01 pm #3

Well I think the Steelheads have to be happy to clinch the Lightening Cup and assure themselves home ice through the playoffs, while the Stampeders will have to be satisfied with clinching first round home ice and Rio Tinto Cup home ice if they make it back that far, but will not have home ice advantage should they meet Smithers again.

After arriving in Smithers 15 minutes prior to the scheduled warmup the game was postponed 10 minutes to give the Stampeders some time to get ready for the game and when the puck was finally dropped it looked like they had just got off the bus as they ran into a buzz saw in the Smithers Steelheads who used an aggressive forecheck complemented by smart dump ins and great hustle to put all kinds of pressure on an overwhelmed and rusty Stampeders squad who was playing their first games in a month. Despite being swarmed the Stamps managed to strike first on a Nathan Zurak goal, but shortly after that the wheels fell off and the Steelies were rewarded for their pressure with 3 goals in a 5 or 6 minute span by Adam DeVries, Mike Wall and Ian Smith.

The second started much the same as the first with the Stampeders struggling to deal with the Smithers relentless forecheck, but thanks to some big saves from Justin Foote the game stayed within reach. Brent McIsaac would tap in a loose puck in front to bring the Stamps within one with under a minute to go in the period but a 30 second melt down by the puddle gave the Steelheads a nice lead going into the third as Adam DeVries got away with a big hook in front of the Stamps net leading to a turnover and goal and Randall Groot was gift wrapped a breakaway goal only 7 seconds later to make the score 5-2 after 2.

The third saw a more determined Stampeder team as they finally started to generate some offence and after a Wilf Robbins PP goal at the midway point of the period the Stamps were able to finally get the momentum and put Smithers on their heels a bit. The Stamps finally got to within a goal as Zurak would score his second on a rebound opportunity with just 45 seconds to go and after the goal a Cody Sutherland meltdown gave the Stamps a chance to finish the game with a 6 on 4 with Foote on the bench. Despite some pressure the Steelheads were able to block every opportunity the Stamps had and eventually clear the puck for the well deserved win.

Stamps were 3-5 on the PP while the fish went 1 for 10.

On Sunday the Stamps came out much more prepared to deal with the pressure on the small ice and took the game to Smithers early on opening up a 2-0 lead at the 10 minute mark on goals by Stu Sasges (shorthanded) and Francis Johnson, but after the 2-0 goal the Steelheads started to push back hard only to be stymied by Foote who put together an impressive 50 save game. The period would end 2-0 Stamps. The Stamps also lost top ten scorer Paul Girodat who was jumped by Cody Sutherland and despite never dropping his gloves and being jumped there was somehow no instigator and they both received fighting majors in one of numerous questionable calls.

In the second the Stamps would take complete control early with a crease crashing goal from Curtis Gassoff and a breakaway goal for Matt Lees within the first three minutes to go up 4-0. Tyler Perreault would get the hook at that point and was replaced by saturdays winner, Jamie Deba. The change seemed to spark the fish as the got back on the horse and reapplied the pressure to the Stamps and gained some momentum on a rocket shot from Darryl Young that went post and in to get the fish on the board. The rest of the period was spent with Foote making some great saves and the Stamps just hanging on while generating a couple scoring chances against the flow of the play. After Phil Simoes (formerly of the Omineca Ice) had the 5-1 goal waived off for knocking the puck in with a high stick (clearly the wrong call) the Stamps were able to get the 5th goal on a floater by Gilbert Robbins that somehow found it's way past Deba sending the teams to the dressing room at 5-1.

The third started with the stamps playing some good definsive hockey before the a couple questionable calls (whats new? I know) put the Steelheads on a long 5 on 3 power play and goals by Ian and Eric Smith on point shots had the fish back in the game at 5-3. From that point on the fish threw everything at the net and had some good offensive zone pressure, but failed to generate the grade A scoring chances they needed and the Stamps hung on for the 5-3 win.

Williams Lake was 0-3 on the PP while Smithers was 3-8.

The Stamps made the trip missing a few key guys including Aaron Zurak and Jeff Gagnon. While the Steelheads lost the services of Ryan DeVries in the first period Sunday with a possible concussion? he was struck in the head by a slap shot from a teammate and seemed to be knocked out for a couple seconds.
Last edited by greenandblack on January 17th, 2011, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Stamps Go!

January 17th, 2011, 9:11 pm #4

oh steely, what did you think of Brendan Hutchinsons performance sunday? you could almost say he was invisible couldn't you?
Go Stamps Go!

January 18th, 2011, 12:34 am #5

Well I don't know if he was invisible. Thanks to an undisclosed injury he saw VERY limited action. But rules are rules, dressed and accounted for he was. Not exactly sure if you boys from the puddle are the ones to be pointin fingers!!

January 18th, 2011, 4:28 am #6

If by very limited you mean "listened to the game on the peak from home" and by undisclosed injury you mean "makebeliefitis" then I agree. Just kidding guys.

To be honest I never saw him once and I don't think he was ever on the ice. He has a more impressive a hockey back ground then anybody outside of a handful of players in this league and I can see why you would want him in the line-up and he's not somebody you miss when he's out there, but I'm not 100% confident he was there. I'm not calling you liars because like I said, I'm not 100% sure, but the game was on the peak and I'm sure they would have called his name during his "very limited action," so maybe somebody could confirm, but it looked like a sneaky way to get a key player his 5th game to me... but again, I'm not sure and I could be wrong, and if I am I apologize for stirring the pot.
Go Stamps Go!

January 18th, 2011, 5:13 am #7

I know your just tryin to stir the pot but I will respond anyhow. Yes Brendan was suited up and yes he saw some ice time but...as you mention, very limited ice time. He has been suffering from nerve damage to shoulder and neck for some time now. Though he will have his games in for the play-offs, I am not sure he will be in much shape to play. A very unfortunate scratch as he usually provides a much needed force on our defence. I am afraid future games might look much like Sundays as we played without Hutch, Olsen, and Devries.

January 18th, 2011, 6:24 am #8

If by very limited you mean "listened to the game on the peak from home" and by undisclosed injury you mean "makebeliefitis" then I agree. Just kidding guys.

To be honest I never saw him once and I don't think he was ever on the ice. He has a more impressive a hockey back ground then anybody outside of a handful of players in this league and I can see why you would want him in the line-up and he's not somebody you miss when he's out there, but I'm not 100% confident he was there. I'm not calling you liars because like I said, I'm not 100% sure, but the game was on the peak and I'm sure they would have called his name during his "very limited action," so maybe somebody could confirm, but it looked like a sneaky way to get a key player his 5th game to me... but again, I'm not sure and I could be wrong, and if I am I apologize for stirring the pot.
Apology excepted.
Have a little faith, were not all rip-offs, cheaters like some...
Some of us do have integrity.....

You mentioned The PEAK, asked JC if Hutch was dressed and ready to play the FIRST period, and on the Ice......
He was not needed ........

Wining or losing Sunday only ment something to the Stamps, nothing for the Steelheads. As I am sure you are aware that some starters did not dress Saturday or Sunday, What does that tell you?

Something I do not understand, why a team would Stop its bus in the HOOF and pick a player up to play a couple games, knowing that the player cannot play in the playoffs, yet the regulars are riding the pine.....
I wonder how much dissension that must of COST in a long run of course...

I enjoy reading your reports and your knowledge of the game and also the fairness in most of your comments, this time around I sense a little Bias, and fair, we all support some team.

I hope were both Successful in the first round, I look forward to a rematch..... I wouldn't book any rooms .......

January 18th, 2011, 10:04 am #9

Well I think the Steelheads have to be happy to clinch the Lightening Cup and assure themselves home ice through the playoffs, while the Stampeders will have to be satisfied with clinching first round home ice and Rio Tinto Cup home ice if they make it back that far, but will not have home ice advantage should they meet Smithers again.

After arriving in Smithers 15 minutes prior to the scheduled warmup the game was postponed 10 minutes to give the Stampeders some time to get ready for the game and when the puck was finally dropped it looked like they had just got off the bus as they ran into a buzz saw in the Smithers Steelheads who used an aggressive forecheck complemented by smart dump ins and great hustle to put all kinds of pressure on an overwhelmed and rusty Stampeders squad who was playing their first games in a month. Despite being swarmed the Stamps managed to strike first on a Nathan Zurak goal, but shortly after that the wheels fell off and the Steelies were rewarded for their pressure with 3 goals in a 5 or 6 minute span by Adam DeVries, Mike Wall and Ian Smith.

The second started much the same as the first with the Stampeders struggling to deal with the Smithers relentless forecheck, but thanks to some big saves from Justin Foote the game stayed within reach. Brent McIsaac would tap in a loose puck in front to bring the Stamps within one with under a minute to go in the period but a 30 second melt down by the puddle gave the Steelheads a nice lead going into the third as Adam DeVries got away with a big hook in front of the Stamps net leading to a turnover and goal and Randall Groot was gift wrapped a breakaway goal only 7 seconds later to make the score 5-2 after 2.

The third saw a more determined Stampeder team as they finally started to generate some offence and after a Wilf Robbins PP goal at the midway point of the period the Stamps were able to finally get the momentum and put Smithers on their heels a bit. The Stamps finally got to within a goal as Zurak would score his second on a rebound opportunity with just 45 seconds to go and after the goal a Cody Sutherland meltdown gave the Stamps a chance to finish the game with a 6 on 4 with Foote on the bench. Despite some pressure the Steelheads were able to block every opportunity the Stamps had and eventually clear the puck for the well deserved win.

Stamps were 3-5 on the PP while the fish went 1 for 10.

On Sunday the Stamps came out much more prepared to deal with the pressure on the small ice and took the game to Smithers early on opening up a 2-0 lead at the 10 minute mark on goals by Stu Sasges (shorthanded) and Francis Johnson, but after the 2-0 goal the Steelheads started to push back hard only to be stymied by Foote who put together an impressive 50 save game. The period would end 2-0 Stamps. The Stamps also lost top ten scorer Paul Girodat who was jumped by Cody Sutherland and despite never dropping his gloves and being jumped there was somehow no instigator and they both received fighting majors in one of numerous questionable calls.

In the second the Stamps would take complete control early with a crease crashing goal from Curtis Gassoff and a breakaway goal for Matt Lees within the first three minutes to go up 4-0. Tyler Perreault would get the hook at that point and was replaced by saturdays winner, Jamie Deba. The change seemed to spark the fish as the got back on the horse and reapplied the pressure to the Stamps and gained some momentum on a rocket shot from Darryl Young that went post and in to get the fish on the board. The rest of the period was spent with Foote making some great saves and the Stamps just hanging on while generating a couple scoring chances against the flow of the play. After Phil Simoes (formerly of the Omineca Ice) had the 5-1 goal waived off for knocking the puck in with a high stick (clearly the wrong call) the Stamps were able to get the 5th goal on a floater by Gilbert Robbins that somehow found it's way past Deba sending the teams to the dressing room at 5-1.

The third started with the stamps playing some good definsive hockey before the a couple questionable calls (whats new? I know) put the Steelheads on a long 5 on 3 power play and goals by Ian and Eric Smith on point shots had the fish back in the game at 5-3. From that point on the fish threw everything at the net and had some good offensive zone pressure, but failed to generate the grade A scoring chances they needed and the Stamps hung on for the 5-3 win.

Williams Lake was 0-3 on the PP while Smithers was 3-8.

The Stamps made the trip missing a few key guys including Aaron Zurak and Jeff Gagnon. While the Steelheads lost the services of Ryan DeVries in the first period Sunday with a possible concussion? he was struck in the head by a slap shot from a teammate and seemed to be knocked out for a couple seconds.
But you got me side tracked with a false accusation.

I would like to applaud The Stamps for their travel to Smithers and back cause it was plain and simple miserable out on the road, I hope you were able to slow down as you were passing the HOOF, so that Phil Simoes could JUMP-TUCK-ROLL out of the bus. Hopefully we will return the determination, I think we have already booked rooms, just do your part.
We both have creditable teams in the first round, but I really think you will be in tuff with the Braves, we might have to cancel our rooms.

Most of your recap is agree able, Shots on goal on Sat game was actualy 48-24 Steelheads. The Stats man has the closer count from the Peak stats.
He fallowed the score sheet like he should. 24 shots for the Stamps might be alittle dreaming too.

You do not do justice to your goaltender, the team should be called
THE FOOTEPEDERS, because without him the score would of been double digits in both games, is that not so?
Shots for the weekend were 102 Steelheads 44 Stamps, Two disallowd
Goals for the Steelheads, One goal counted for the Stamps with the net a foot off. I also think your alittle hard on a good ref, that has control.
Steelheads average for penalties is 6 a game not counting the **** from Omenica, the Stamps average is 10. I think myself the ref missed couple stick **** calls to, but not from the Steelheads, The games were delayed just from the constant winnig after every frigen whistle, and that hasn't changed in years, what is that all about?

Tell us all what game you were at,in referance to the Girodat-Sutherland mixup? Paul crosschecked Cody, Cody crosschecked Paul, they both had one glove off grabing each other, the linesmen grab Cody and they hit the Ice with Paul on top, neither deserved a GM.

All in all it was a great weekend for CIHL Hockey in Smithers, The fans were treated to two exciting games, and I am sure they wouldn't be disappointed to see the Stamps come back for one.

January 18th, 2011, 4:31 pm #10

I will recheck the game sheet and the shots.

Each team has a different way of recording shots. Some don't record any, some only show total shots, some break down the shots per period, some show saves rather than shots. It's confusing as hell. You try to figure it. Just one of the many myriad of reasons why I will take my volunteer hours to somewhere a little more deserving and a little less thankless.

As for your write up on the Sunday game. Even the Peak broadcaster noted that Paul Girodat had a good case. They disagreed with the call and said rules changes are necessary in cases like his.

You're right about Justin Foote, and good reason for your team to be just a little worried that once again Smithers will be the bridesmaids.