Coy Cup...I'm kind of interested in which...

Coy Cup...I'm kind of interested in which...

January 4th, 2010, 7:06 pm #1

teams will be committing to the Coy Cup by Jan. 15.

Powell River is a tough place to get to so unless teams have a good diet of playoff games, it could cause cash flow problems. I believe the Stamps have looked at it and have doubts it can be achieved. A great pity if this happens, as they are defending champs.

I am aware there were some discussions about increasing team allowances at the cup to help with this issue, but this would be a huge drain on the hosts revenues. Does anyone know if changes were confirmed. Scott???

It's quite possible of course that the Ice Demons won't qualify but we are still looking at travel options. The same goes for all playoff contenders. But a decision not to go by one team opens a door for others. I am also unsure of final decisions on the need for some CIHL team to play off against either North Island or even Dawson Creek. There are a lot of questions hanging in the air...

Might be some benefits in two CIHL entrants looking at combining travel plans, although this is difficult to think through in advance. Need to know who plans to go if qualified.

I expect Powell River will need to know this too, which of course if the significance of the January 15 date.

ACH - CIHleague pres.

January 4th, 2010, 7:15 pm #2

powell river is not that hard to get to.it is probably easier to get to than port hardy was a few years ago. drive to horshoe bay,40 minute ferry to gibsons 40 minutes to an hour to earls cove and another short ferry ride to powell river.it is actually a scenic and relaxing trip.at least it was 30 years ago.

January 4th, 2010, 8:40 pm #3

By air from Terrace -- probably an hour in a chartered plane.

By road, well, that's different -- eight hours to PG, eight more to Horseshoe Bay. Trip by ferry -- that nice run to Earl's Cove, another ferry and the final few miles...time about three days...then back the same route... still checking on charter in and out price, but previous experience says it's out of the question.

We did that to Port Hardy and it worked out well but that was a few years ago...and we had some help from travelling fans to fill the plane...

Or you can ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy, drive to Comox and ferry again. Ferry each way, Rupert to Port Hardy is $100 per adult x say 25 = and times two, about $5K. Bus is $3.90 ft. or approx $500. Comox ferry is approx $12 per adult both ways comes to about $600 both ways. Oh, and the bus again.

A commercial bus is about $2,000 a day, plus driver costs and accommodation -- long distance two drivers.

Let's try by land and ferry -- big time gas and bus bill as above, plus two $600 ferry rides, plus food for four travel days at (cheapie) $15/player/day = about $3,000 -- plus accommodation one night - around $500 - can't sleep two days on a bus...then play hockey.

There are some allowances from the host clubs depending how long your team competes. But believe me -- it's a big project from the North to the North...

These are just ballpark numbers...but you'll admit it's a chore and a big commitment. For a tea like the Stamps with an average attendance of a couple of hundred and up against a junior team, well???...

The economy and some of the locations may simply kill provincial championships in rural or faraway communities. I know minor sports teams do it all te time...but is i worth it. There's no assistance programs -- just parents and fund-raising...or inthe case of senior hckey teams, the players (i.e. at the cost to the families...)

We need to get a handle on it....Scott Mastrodonato did the thing in reverse last year for the Coy Cup...maybe he can provide better, more accurate numbers...

With the winter Olympics and the Cambell government cutbacks (slashing) on lottery funds, you're out of luck in applying anywhere where we used to be able to look.

Club revenues are down in this economy -- Kitimat gets good attendance, but we were 750 on Saturday and 110 (against the juniors world competition) Sunday. Plus fans don't like to pay $10 for two blowouts in 14 hours.

January 4th, 2010, 9:11 pm #4

Did a rough estimate to travel to Powel River and back.
Min $10,000. to $12,000. (at 25 players)

And they have their own Bus and Drivers.

What is Powel Rivers Claim to Fame, to host the Coy-cup?

One thing for sure Bob James is doing no favour to Senior Hockey in BC.
Powel river is registered "AA" and "AAA", having a hard time understanding Bobs selection in Hosting City. Maybe its away of Powel River raising money, but it could backfire. From what I understand, Powel river will have to play off against White Horse Huskies for a berth to the Allan cup. It seems like alittle wheeling and dealing behind cloesd doors.

January 4th, 2010, 10:11 pm #5

The backroom deals for this tournament are disgusting...I can understand why the Coy was not awarded to a CIHL team this year...but why not dawson creek? Every year there seems to be some controversy over the Coy, some shady business going on every time...Maybe its time to boycott the coy...then voice our northern displeasure at the BC Hocky AGM in Prince Geaorge this year and force some changes!!

January 5th, 2010, 2:02 am #6

I have been saying this for years. Time for a change at the top,things have been happening like this for too long in Sr Men's Hockey and there is only one person in charge. Time to have someone else step up.

Say Powell River host the Coy, brings in 3 teams just say Island team and two CIHL teams. If the money is uped to help the northern teams even a little let's say 7,ooo for the CIHL alittle less for island 5,ooo that's still 19,ooo plus Mr james cost, ice time advertising, refs, plus refs expenses you could be close to 25,ooo to 30,ooo. Now the cost rises alot if Dawson is in and Island out.

Then in a couple weeks time the Regals host Whitehorse in a best of 5. Let's just say it goes 5 games. They are paying, ice, hotel, alittle extra $$, Mr James expenses, refs, ref's expenses plus hotel all over again.

Plus they are suppose to put up a BOND to ensure everyone is paid. Plus pay for players they import in for the playoffs (airfare/rooms).

That's alot of money to be putting out and not playing many games at home this year. Maybe Papa Hewy would know alittle better what it cost to bring in teams for the Coy or if I am fairly close.

January 5th, 2010, 3:12 am #7

Boycotting is not the answer. Powell River came all the way to Terrace. They are an established senior hockey team in BC. They shouldn't be punished becuase we don't like the way the bidding process was handled. Besides, everything we talk about on here is purely speculation. If the CIHL teams want to enjoy quality Coy Cup events, represented by all parts of the province when our teams host then we need to suck it up and grind it out to other less desirable locations when it's out turn to hit the highways. If the financial burden is to much for the teams and the players to handle then that's one thing... give the next team in line a chance to fill those shoes, but we need to make every effort to be there. We all have to do our part to keep senior hockey alive and growing, it's not just Bob James job.
Go Stamps Go!

January 8th, 2010, 5:38 pm #8

the coy cup is a freakin joke. A buncha 2 bit towns battling it out for a trophy that doesn't really mean much at all... The cihl always wins is cause were the only area that actually tries and has a league. The other 'teams' play 6 games and bring a team full of ringers and still suck. The coy is just a massive dissapointment. I'd rather watch my dog lick his balls then the coy cup get a life senior hockey make the coy the cihl trophy and if other teams want it let them challenge for it by playing every team in the league once then taking on the champ of the league in a 3 game series

January 8th, 2010, 8:02 pm #9

it seems that the highest hurdle to get to the coy is money. i would think the only answer to this has to be sponsorship. i know it is hard to ask local buisnesses to fork over big dollars when they are constantly putting up for minor sports and every other fund raising activity that comes along which is much appreciated,but i think in the coy's case is where the big companies have to come through.the government as well should help out.with all the money the forest and mining,taxes taken out of our communities more should be put back in. if kitimat makes it maybe westfraser could kick in a going away present.

January 11th, 2010, 8:48 pm #10

We have been following the path to the Coy Cup. It is a very foggy & expensive trail. So far we have went from just about hosting it to a cost of 20,000. There has been suggestions by our dear Mr J that we are deemed a first year initiation. We must travel 1st to somewhere in the Central for a playdown with the runner up of the finals ( When is that final? ) Then if we win a trip to Powell that was 1st proposed Mar 16-21 & now changed to Mar 9-14 ( same week as Minor Hockey Provincials & Our league Finals.) We estimate 20,000 in expenses with some perdeum of about 20%. Powell will not take 6 teams because they do not want to pay out this perdeum to 5 teams.

The Canucks have competed for the Coy Cup for 60 years. There have been years where we have not been present as other teams have. It is the provincial title for Intermediete (AA) hockey. The entitlement should be equal to all for competition. To commit 20,000 by Jan 15 when we only have 17,000 in the bank seems like a no brainer or a stupid move. We are presently in 1st place in our division & beat FSJ last week. We are told that because we don't play other Teams in the province we have to prequalify & travel.

We asked for some answers today & got no answers. The mid Island team has not yet proven they have played 6 games. If they have they probably will be in because of geographics. OK that will help their area promote Senior hockey & keep Powells perdeum down, fine. If they do not we probably will be invited.

Is there a way to allow your 1st & runner up battle it with us & make the committment by Friday? The only way we would is if the playoff was played in both places. Best of 5, 1st 2 in DC next 3 in CI. When? If they tell us we have to go to CI for all & then Powell ,nobrainer. If we new we were in Powell now we could fund raise & plan, but they seem to give CI entitlement to 2 spots, which we would have to take away.

The day will come when FSJ is back in AA & maybe Whitehorse, & more island or Kootney teams. The history of this Cup is bigger that the CIHL. It is a provincial title. Maybe there will be some Olympic legacy since they took away our Lottery Bingo Funds to help the future.

We want to compete, but we need answers, home gate or guarentees of dates. We would like to host next year, but if we do not compete this year we will be deemed initiation & not awarded. There is a penalty if teams let their committment stand & do not follow through. How do your teams committ not knowing ? In the past playdowns were seperate from league playoffs. If the rest of the corners of the province ever are to be included again this all must be considered. Also the Coy Cup should not overlap Minor Hockey Provincials.