McCabe's approval rating

McCabe's approval rating

Reading Blade
Reading Blade

November 26th, 2010, 9:58 am #1

As per Blades Re-United (BR-U)

83%

I reckon most CEO's would kill for such a rating :-).

UTB

Reading Blade

bedfordblade
bedfordblade

November 26th, 2010, 12:16 pm #2

I feel very sorry for those who voted against. We have had a fair bit of excitement but never quite made it--2003 sums it up--semi finals v. Liverpool and Arsenal--we did so well. Cardiff when the wheels came off. Sadly cheated by the premiership over the West Ham saga.
Far better stadium now.
What does this pathetic minority expect and what are they going to give to help achieve it?

MancBlade
MancBlade

November 26th, 2010, 12:56 pm #3

I think generally people are disappointed that our 10 years of superiority over Wednesday have only resulted in 1 year of top flight football and a few semis/PO finals. If we'd just managed a sustained spell in the Prem we could really have wrested the floating support/young fans from them, improved the stadium further, challenged for cups/europe. People are now seeing Weds about to be taken over with a good chance of promotion to the division we will probably be in next season. Lets be honest, a large percentage of being a Unitedite is being better than Wednesday. We have done that consistently under McCabe's reign but with a bit of luck and a few things done differently they could have been out of sight by now.

November 26th, 2010, 5:32 pm #4

The media and our fans keep talking about McCabe standing down as Chairman as if it means something, or is the end of an era. It isn't. He remains the owner, as he has been for some time, and he stated on Radio Sheffield that he has no intention of selling up.

McCabe wasn't our Chairman through a number of the glory years mentioned above (e.g. when we got promoted Dooley was Chairman) and McCabe only stood in when Dooley had to stand down. McCabe always said that it was a temporary appointment, and he has repeatedly said he will stand down later this year at every AGM and forum. It is merely a figurehead role, which should be held by a someone local who can represent the club at events.

McCabe remains in control, and nothing has changed.

FRWL
FRWL

November 27th, 2010, 9:46 am #5

And what a superb figurehead Chris Steer will be. A man qualified for nothing, and on the board solely because his carpet shop buys a few ads at the lane (which are no doubt amply rewarded when the club needs carpet).

Bedfordblade
Bedfordblade

November 27th, 2010, 9:49 am #6

The media and our fans keep talking about McCabe standing down as Chairman as if it means something, or is the end of an era. It isn't. He remains the owner, as he has been for some time, and he stated on Radio Sheffield that he has no intention of selling up.

McCabe wasn't our Chairman through a number of the glory years mentioned above (e.g. when we got promoted Dooley was Chairman) and McCabe only stood in when Dooley had to stand down. McCabe always said that it was a temporary appointment, and he has repeatedly said he will stand down later this year at every AGM and forum. It is merely a figurehead role, which should be held by a someone local who can represent the club at events.

McCabe remains in control, and nothing has changed.
Yes, Dooley was chairman of the football club but Kevin Mc was chair of plc and the power. Mc was very fond of Dooley--as was everone else--and it was Dooley who appointed Warnock--although Mc had known him from their scarborough days. Dooley was very much trusted by Mc and was very missed when he died.
Dooley was a big man, both physically and as a person.
However, Mc as chair of plc was the power and he delivered.

November 27th, 2010, 9:52 am #7

And what a superb figurehead Chris Steer will be. A man qualified for nothing, and on the board solely because his carpet shop buys a few ads at the lane (which are no doubt amply rewarded when the club needs carpet).
Please lets be positive.

Being negative has no benefit.

I have never met Mr McCabe, but I think he has helped a great deal.

FRWL
FRWL

November 27th, 2010, 9:57 am #8

But Sing - why do you think a man who runs a carpet shop in Woodseats has the qualities, contacts and capabilities to make SUFC a force in football?

November 27th, 2010, 10:21 am #9

No disrespect to McCabe, but maybe the carpet salesman is closer to the grass roots of SUFC than someone living in Brussels. He's said to be a mad keen Blade. Maybe he turns out to watch the reserves occasionally - the Academy even.

He's presumably a shrewd businessman to have got where he is.

To be honest, I've no idea how capable the new Chairman is, but you don't have to be a Russian oligarch to run a football club.

FRWL
FRWL

November 27th, 2010, 11:28 am #10

We dont need anyone nearer to the grass roots. We need someone with the gravitas and capability to lead SUFC in the world of football. He runs a carpet shop. Good on him - ive nothing against carpet shops or their owners. But it doesn't qualify him to run a football club.

Its just another example of little local businessmen who think they can boost their little egos and profiles by getting their snouts into their local football club. I wonder how much he is being paid?