Would you pay $2000 for this Bix "signature"?

Would you pay $2000 for this Bix "signature"?

May 4th, 2018, 12:26 pm #1

May 5th, 2018, 5:46 pm #2

'Signature?' I suspect some previous owner marked the label because Bix is audible on that side. Anyone can toss those letters onto paper.

May 7th, 2018, 10:07 pm #3

Good Lord, it sold for 2 grand!  It doesn't look much like Bix's actual signature.  And why would Bix sign both sides?  The signing of both sides suggests to me that the owner penned the name as a reminder that Bix played on each number, since no personnel are listed.  Disc jockeys often did this.

May 8th, 2018, 7:04 pm #4

It didn't sell for two grand, the seller accepted a best offer, which could have been well below two grand. Wasn't me. I'm pretty sure it isn't real, although I haven't sat down and compared it to all of the known examples of his handwriting so I can't say I'm absolutely sure. All the image links on Albert's page link above are broken for me.

May 8th, 2018, 7:10 pm #5

Do you happen to know how much it went for, Dustin?  Perhaps they don't indicate.  I wouldn't have given $200.  I'm lucky enough to own a real Bix signature, and, although handwriting can vary from year to year and context to context, this one just sold on eBay doesn't have at all the look and feel, to me.

May 9th, 2018, 2:45 am #6

Ebay doesn't say. Hard to believe much at all. I agree that it's hard to explain why Bix would have autographed both sides. My Bix record collection is ever-growing, but I don't have any real ephemera tied directly to Bix. I'd bid very competitively for anything that turned up, but this didn't come anywhere near to passing the smell test.