What happened to *A Treasury of Small Change: Red Nichols 1905-1942*?

What happened to *A Treasury of Small Change: Red Nichols 1905-1942*?

David Tenner
David Tenner

June 20th, 2017, 3:12 am #1

At the end of Stanley Hester, Stephen Hester, Philip R. Evans, and Linda Evans, *The Red Nichols Story: After Intermission, 1942-1965* (Lanham, MD, and London, 1997), there is an "About the Authors" page, which states of both the Hesters, "His next book will be *A Treasury of Small Change: Red Nichols 1905-1942.*"

Just what happened to that projected book? Googling, the only reference I could find to A Treasury of Small Change is at a Dutch website dealing with books on CD-Rom: http://www.doctorjazz.nl/03-boeken-cd-roms/ Not a single other reference, anywhere else on the Web...

I realize that there is another work dealing with Nichols' earlier years: Stephen M. Stroff: *Red Head. A Chronological Survey of 'Red' Nichols and His Five Pennies.* However, even leaving aside the fact that it stops in the early 1930's (and thus we are pretty much left with a blank decade before 1942) it is in no way as thorough a bio-discography as the Hesters-and-Evanses volume; Stroff instead concentrates on musical analysis of selected Nichols works of the 1920's and early 1930's.

It's too bad if the projected book on Red from 1905-1942 was never written or never made available to the public. After all, musically speaking, those surely are Nichols' most signficant years. (Not that I don't enjoy some of the later records, especially with Joe "Blizzard Head" Rushton. But I honestly can't say they're the equals of the recordings Red made with Miff Mole, Pee Wee Russell, Jimmy Dorsey, Jack Teagarden, Berny Goodman, Adrian Rollini, etc.)

June 20th, 2017, 11:28 am #2

.... has all the collection and has been working on the book for several years.

Albert