The Photo of the Rhythm Jugglers in the AARP Online Community

The Photo of the Rhythm Jugglers in the AARP Online Community

November 26th, 2009, 4:45 pm #1

Tommy Dorsey died 53 years ago, on Nov 26, 1956. AARP, the very powerful organization of retired people, has an In Memoriam Remembrance and Tribute to Tommy in

http://www.aarp.org/community/groups/di ... Id=5842752

A brief biography of Tommy is provided and, amazingly, the famous photo of the Rhythm Jugglers is included. Jean Goldkette and, of course, Paul Whiteman are also mentioned. The link to Bix is dead, as are several other links.

The site has In Memoriam articles about Paul Mares and Emmett Hardy, but not about Bix! Maybe the dead link was an In Memoriam article for Bix?

Albert

Linda
Linda

November 26th, 2009, 6:06 pm #2

I have a program for the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra appearing in Davenport, Iowa at the Capitol Theater in 1949. I won the item on ebay, see ebay number 310179490242. Interesting the ebay seller is located in Davenport, Iowa so I wrote them and asked if they had any other music programs from theaters in Davenport. No reply up to now.
Read the item description of the item I won on ebay:
"I've found 15 boxes of catalogs, magazines, programs and misc. paper in a house I've been cleaning out. All items run from the 40's to the early 60's. One box went back as far as 1905. Lot's of this stuff is from Davenport, Iowa."

Who knows what is in those boxes from Davenport, Iowa and especially if it might contain programs from Davenport going back to 1905! There must be a way to contact this person in Davenport to find out if those boxes from the house the person was cleaning out might some contain some fabulous Bix items.

I scanned the cover of the program and a sheet that came with it listing the program of the concert. I didn't notice any tunes associated with Bix on the program. Since Tommy Dorsey was playing in Davenport and I am sure he knew it was Bix's home town I would think he might have played Davenport Blues or Singin' The Blues or another tune associated with Bix as a tribute at the concert. Maybe Charlie Shavers trumpet solo of "The Man With The Horn" had something to do with Bix but I don't know.
Plus at the bottom of the program it says "program subject to change without notice". Maybe this program was printed up in advance of the tour and substitutions could have been made for individual appearances by the orchestra. I would like to think Tommy Dorsey included a few numbers associated with Bix for the Davenport audience.

But guys and gals we really need to get the ball rolling on this ebay seller and find a way to contact this person to find out if they have something really important on Bix.

Linda
Linda

November 26th, 2009, 6:26 pm #3

That same ebay seller I bought the Tommy Dorsey program for an appearance in Davenport, Iowa in 1949 from has a 1911 Davenport, Iowa Fire Dept. history book right now on ebay. I wonder if any Bix relative worked for the fire dept? This book is a history book from 1839 to 1911 and by looking at the pictures in the listing this book contains vintage ads of Davenport businesses, pictures of the firemen and pictures of buildings in Davenport from that time.
I am going to keep watching this person's ebay listings to see what other items of interest from Davenport, Iowa show up on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/18391911-DAVENPORT- ... 2005wt_930

Gerri Bowers
Gerri Bowers

November 26th, 2009, 8:00 pm #4

Yes, Bix's grandfather Charles was a volunteer fireman, I think 1895, he had to retire after he fell in his back yard and broke his leg.