"The Georgians" With Red Nichols

"The Georgians" With Red Nichols

August 22nd, 2011, 12:56 am #1

Last edited by ahaim on August 22nd, 2011, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 23rd, 2011, 10:47 pm #2

Mike kindly sent a scan of the record label for "Charleston Baby O' Mine." His copy of the recording is on English Columbia and is ascribed to the Denza Dance band.

The Denza Dance Band was a pseudonym "chosen in 1925 by Herbert C. Ridout, publicity manager of the Columbia Graphophone Company (London), to maks the identities of American dance bands whose first electric recordings it was desired to issue without public announcement of the new recording technique." Brian Rust in his Jazz Discography. Among the bands hidden behind the "Denza Dance Band" name, we have The California Ramblers, Ben Selvin, Harry Reser, Ross Gorman,  Fred Rich, etc.

Mike also sent an mp3 file.

<embed src="http://bixography.com/CharlestonBabyoMineGeorgians.mp3" autostart="true" width="144" height="72" style="background-color:inherit">

Very nice tune and recording. Prominent banjo by Roy Smeck, good solos by Charles Butterfield (tb), Red Nichols (c), Frank Kilduff (bar sax) and Dick Johnson (as).

Mick, thanks very much for your generosity. I deeply appreciate your contributions to the Bixography Forum.

Albert

August 25th, 2011, 11:07 pm #3

Last edited by ahaim on August 26th, 2011, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 25th, 2011, 11:37 pm #4

The Feb 15, 1920 issue of the Reading Eagle mentions that Specht's Society Serenaders provided the music for a dance at the Berkshire Country Club.

Albert

August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm #5

Donna Adimando
Donna Adimando

January 11th, 2013, 6:20 pm #6

Where did u get this information? I am his grandaughter and I don't have this info.

Jakub Šefl
Jakub Šefl

August 14th, 2014, 11:17 pm #7

Good morning madam Adimando,
My name is Jakub Šefl and I am trumpet player from Prague.
Before a few years I wrote school work inspirated by Frank R.Guarente. I would like to ask You for some informations. I have an article about Your grandfater wroted by H.H.Lange, but I found some informations, that Giuseppe Barazetta wrote a book - name would be "A forgotten pioneer". Don't You know something more about is? Next- I
found information, that Your grandfather wrote a book about modern playing to trumpet. Maybe is a new informations for You, but maybe not...If You could answer me I would happy. My e-mail adress is : jakub.sefl@centrum.cz
Minimally I would like to please for contact and information, that You recive my question.
Have a nice time and sincerelly hello, Jakub Šefl