Susan Boyle

Susan Boyle

Gilbert M. Erskine
Gilbert M. Erskine

April 19th, 2009, 12:08 am #1

Probably everyone here has seen/heard the Susan Boyle video of her appearance at the Brit TV talent show last Saturday.

The unglamorus 47-year old stunned everyone with her singing of "I Dreamed A Dream" from the musical, "Les Miserables". She was all over American TV and print media yesterday, and everybody was raving.

Well, the Scottish newspaper "Daily Report" found a CD that she had done for a charity in 1999 and put it on YouTube. It is absolutely stunning.

Lee Wiley once said in an interview, "People say I sound like Bix, and I don't get it." The reason for this no doubt is that Lee had not listened to the later, haunting Bix, on things like Whiteman's "Lonely Melody". Lee indeed often evoked Bix.

Everyone who loves the way Lee Wiley sang is in for a great surprise on hearing this Susan Bolye song, "Cry Me A River," done on that 1999 charity CD. For my money, she is the equal of Lee Wiley---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ

The Susan Boyle story is just incredible. With minor brain damage as a child, she was the target of taunts from bullies in early school. Never had a date, never been kissed, she cared for her mother until at 91 she died. Unemployed, living alone with her cat in a cottage in Bainbridge (near Edinburgh, Scotland), she had only been singing at church and at parties. Now she's the center of world attention.

April 19th, 2009, 2:04 pm #2

.... for the soundtrack of a film noir of the the 1940s. The accompaniment is terrific.

Albert

carl
carl

April 20th, 2009, 7:23 am #3

Probably everyone here has seen/heard the Susan Boyle video of her appearance at the Brit TV talent show last Saturday.

The unglamorus 47-year old stunned everyone with her singing of "I Dreamed A Dream" from the musical, "Les Miserables". She was all over American TV and print media yesterday, and everybody was raving.

Well, the Scottish newspaper "Daily Report" found a CD that she had done for a charity in 1999 and put it on YouTube. It is absolutely stunning.

Lee Wiley once said in an interview, "People say I sound like Bix, and I don't get it." The reason for this no doubt is that Lee had not listened to the later, haunting Bix, on things like Whiteman's "Lonely Melody". Lee indeed often evoked Bix.

Everyone who loves the way Lee Wiley sang is in for a great surprise on hearing this Susan Bolye song, "Cry Me A River," done on that 1999 charity CD. For my money, she is the equal of Lee Wiley---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ

The Susan Boyle story is just incredible. With minor brain damage as a child, she was the target of taunts from bullies in early school. Never had a date, never been kissed, she cared for her mother until at 91 she died. Unemployed, living alone with her cat in a cottage in Bainbridge (near Edinburgh, Scotland), she had only been singing at church and at parties. Now she's the center of world attention.
That's really powerful. I don't know how many nights this will be a must hear till you don't need to have it all the time, but it feels like it's gonna be a long stretch. That desperate way she says "Told me love was too plebian, told me you were thru with me and.". How do you get used to that? Just slays me. Blimey. Thanks again.