"Rust Jazz" Survey of These United States

"Rust Jazz" Survey of These United States

Brad Kay
Brad Kay

October 15th, 2010, 12:05 pm #1

Being a possessor of the infinitely searchable electronic version of Brian Rust's Jazz Records (sixth ed.), and in the grip of insomnia, I have just had a "get a life" moment, in which I did a word search of the names of each United State. Typing the name of each state into the search window revealed instantly how many pages in Rust that name occurred on, whether it referred to the actual state, a city, a band or person's name, or a song title. It would seem to be a ranking of "jazzy" state names. But I have no idea what this really means, if anything, except I find it an absorbing little Rorscharch moment. I will refrain from analysis for the nonce, except do note where Bix's home state of Iowa ranks on the list. What do you-all make of this?

-Brad Kay

No. of pages / Name of State:
1631 New York
233 Georgia
209 California
119 Kansas
95 Washington
84 Mississippi
81 Carolina (by itself, neither North nor South)
77 Indiana
76 Tennessee
73 Kentucky
72 Virginia
59 Alabama
58 Texas
54 Missouri
53 Louisiana
44 Arkansas or Arkansaw
30 Hawaii
28 New Jersey
24 Florida
24 Maryland
23 Maine
22 Ohio
15 Michigan
15 Pennsylvania
14 Wisconsin
5 Connecticut
5 Nebraska
5 Oklahoma
4 Colorado
4 Illinois
3 Idaho
3 North Carolina
2 Massachusetts
2 Montana
2 South Carolina
2 West Virginia
1 Delaware
1 Oregon
1 South Dakota
1 Utah
1 Arizona
0 Wyoming
0 District of Columbia
0 Iowa
0 Minnesota
0 Nevada
0 New Hampshire
0 New Mexico
0 North Dakota
0 Rhode Island
0 Vermont
0 Alaska

Glenda Childress
Glenda Childress

October 18th, 2010, 3:19 am #2

Well, one reason that most of the top-ranked states mentioned are east of the Mississippi is that they were settled earlier and thus more populous, increasing the possibility that musicians and composers were born there--or left and felt nostalgic enough to write a song about them. California, while far west, was settled much earlier than the high plains and became more populous because it was reachable by sea. Kansas attracted settlers with free land early on.

And then some states are more colorful, with people with personality, joie de vivre, excitement about them. Towns with recording studios and thriving entertainment scenes attracted musicians first, and they wrote about what they knew. There's a reason Hoagy wrote "Manhattan Rag," not "Minott Rag."

Some names just scan better in rhyming lyrics or are more mellifluous, ("Alabamy Bound" sounds better than "Connecticut Bound." How do "Way Down Yonder in Wasilla," "New Jersey on My Mind," "I'm Comin' North Dakota," or "Rhode Island, Here I Come" grab you?

October 19th, 2010, 6:01 pm #3

Being a possessor of the infinitely searchable electronic version of Brian Rust's Jazz Records (sixth ed.), and in the grip of insomnia, I have just had a "get a life" moment, in which I did a word search of the names of each United State. Typing the name of each state into the search window revealed instantly how many pages in Rust that name occurred on, whether it referred to the actual state, a city, a band or person's name, or a song title. It would seem to be a ranking of "jazzy" state names. But I have no idea what this really means, if anything, except I find it an absorbing little Rorscharch moment. I will refrain from analysis for the nonce, except do note where Bix's home state of Iowa ranks on the list. What do you-all make of this?

-Brad Kay

No. of pages / Name of State:
1631 New York
233 Georgia
209 California
119 Kansas
95 Washington
84 Mississippi
81 Carolina (by itself, neither North nor South)
77 Indiana
76 Tennessee
73 Kentucky
72 Virginia
59 Alabama
58 Texas
54 Missouri
53 Louisiana
44 Arkansas or Arkansaw
30 Hawaii
28 New Jersey
24 Florida
24 Maryland
23 Maine
22 Ohio
15 Michigan
15 Pennsylvania
14 Wisconsin
5 Connecticut
5 Nebraska
5 Oklahoma
4 Colorado
4 Illinois
3 Idaho
3 North Carolina
2 Massachusetts
2 Montana
2 South Carolina
2 West Virginia
1 Delaware
1 Oregon
1 South Dakota
1 Utah
1 Arizona
0 Wyoming
0 District of Columbia
0 Iowa
0 Minnesota
0 Nevada
0 New Hampshire
0 New Mexico
0 North Dakota
0 Rhode Island
0 Vermont
0 Alaska
When you searched under "New York" you got all the recordings that were made in New York. New York City had a whole lot of recording studios for the major and minor companies. So you counted all recording sessions made in New York. That is why "New York" is on top of the list with 1631 hits, almost an order of magnitude more than the next entry, Georgia with 233. However, when I searched New York in Rust, I got 9471 hits. If you search for Chicago, you get 1659 hits. Again, the high number is related to the fact that an awful lot of recordings were waxed in Chicago, although it is noteworthy that the Big Apple has six times as many.

We must have different versions of searchable Rust. For Georgia I get 291 hits, whereas you get 233; for California you get 209 and I get 344, and so on and so forth.

Albert

October 19th, 2010, 6:07 pm #4

You searched the 6th edition (what year?). I searched the last edition, 2002. You give the number of pages, I give the number of hits. One and/or the other factor may account for the differences.

Albert