RIP Friend Bix

RIP Friend Bix

August 6th, 2010, 2:00 pm #1

Bix Beiderbecke, the jazz genius from Davenport, Iowa, March 10, 1903-August 6, 1931.

<em></em>

<em><strong>"Through His Music, Bix Is Alive."</strong></em>

Bix is also alive in Davenport, in Sunnyside, in the World Wide Web, whenever one of Bix's recordings is played, when contemporary musicians play Bix's music in live concerts, and in the minds of all Bix's admirers.

Albert

<em></em> 

Liz
Liz

August 6th, 2010, 4:56 pm #2

I like March 10th way better than August 6th.
Bix forever lives, even after 79 years.

hal smith
hal smith

August 6th, 2010, 8:49 pm #3

Are they going to do the Candlelight vigil in front of Bix's apartment building? is it still in the church yard?

August 6th, 2010, 9:14 pm #4

.... will take place from 4 to 7 pm at the corner of Queens Blvd and 46th Street. I am planning on being there.

Albert

August 7th, 2010, 12:23 pm #5

Are they going to do the Candlelight vigil in front of Bix's apartment building? is it still in the church yard?

And here is a report about the 20909 Memorial event in Sunnyside.

http://www.timesnewsweekly.com/news/200 ... e_Era.html

Albert

August 7th, 2010, 2:40 pm #6

.... will take place from 4 to 7 pm at the corner of Queens Blvd and 46th Street. I am planning on being there.

Albert
LIRR from Stony Brook to Woodside (almost two hours) and then # 7 subway from Woodside to 46th Street.

In case any forumite shows up and wants to say hello, I am 5 feet 5 inches (I used to be 5'7'', but shrinking with age  is one of the facts of life), 134 lbs, wear metal-rimmed glasses, whatever hair I have left is dark brown, and I will be wearing (thanks very much, L),  a dark blue shirt with the "Bix Lives" logo.

See you later.

Albert

Bob Brand
Bob Brand

August 8th, 2010, 12:49 pm #7

Albert,

While on the scales at my last physician visit one of the nurses told me that I've also shrunk to 5'5" (from 5'6"). It's too bad that the shrinkage was vertical instead of horizontal! How in the world do you manage to maintain a weight of only 134 pounds? I weighed only 118 ponds when I graduated from high school but zoomed past 134 pounds--never to return--at least 40 years ago.

Bob Brand

August 8th, 2010, 4:27 pm #8

LIRR from Stony Brook to Woodside (almost two hours) and then # 7 subway from Woodside to 46th Street.

In case any forumite shows up and wants to say hello, I am 5 feet 5 inches (I used to be 5'7'', but shrinking with age  is one of the facts of life), 134 lbs, wear metal-rimmed glasses, whatever hair I have left is dark brown, and I will be wearing (thanks very much, L),  a dark blue shirt with the "Bix Lives" logo.

See you later.

Albert
I'll start with the bad news: The Memorial concert took place on 46th St, on the South side of Queens Boulevard. Bix's last residence is on the North side of Queens Blvd. North and South are like two different worlds. The North side is a nice residential street, with tall apartments and a church (adjacent to Bix's last residence) with a lovely courtyard. The South side is a crappy, commercial street.

I did not attend last year's Memorial which, like this year's edition, took place on 46th Street (South of Queens Blvd) under the arches. Previous Memorials had taken place in the church courtyard. The sedate atmosphere of the church courtyard, the vicinity of Bix's apartment next door, Bix's own recordings being played while people were waiting for speakers and the band, the walking with candles from the courtyard to the front of the building where Bix had died,  made it for a very powerful, emotional event. The atmosphere was just right.

The contrast between my feelings in my previous visits and what I felt yesterday upon arriving at the site for the Memorial on the South side of 46th Street was huge, I was sadly disappointed. The event turned into what is commonly known as a street fest: people walking by, some stopping for a bit to see what was going on, cheap stores on both sides of the street where chairs and tables had been set up for people who attended. As far as I can tell, most of the people were locals, and had no idea as to who Bix was. I overheard a conversation between a man and a woman (most likely husband and wife). The woman asked who was Bix Beiderbecke (pronounced bei to rhyme with cei in conceive); the man, with great authority, responded "he was a guy from around here." The movement of people walking by was very distracting and disturbing to me.

The good news is that Bix was prominently mentioned. At 4:00 pm two groups of kids danced to the music of two Bix Wolverines recordings. The first group, grades 2 and 3, danced to "Fidgety Feet." The second group, grades 5 to 7, danced to "Riverboat Shuffle." It was sort of eerie to think that most of the kids were born in the 21st century and were dancing to music Bix had recorded 86 years earlier. After the dancing , there was singing by another group of kids accompanied by their teacher on guitar. Again, they chose two Bix tunes, "I'm Looking Over A Four-Leaf Clover" and "Georgia."

There were two bands, a small Dixieland combo who played from about 4:30 to 5:20 and  then a bigger band that was going to play from 5:30 on. I only heard the small combo ( I left at 5:30). This is a list of the tunes: Candlelight (In A Mist was announced, but the pianist played Candlelight), Fidgety Feet, Basin St. Blues, Sweet Sue (including a reproduction of Bix's solo), Copenhagen, Tin Roof Blues, and When the Saints. A good percentage of Bix's tunes. One of the sax players played a C-mel sax, and this was noted by the musician who led the small combo and stated "he is going to be Frank Trumbauer." A decent choice of tunes and lots of mentions of Bix. Excellent intentions. As to the execution of the tunes, it is better to be silent

See photos in http://bixbeiderbecke.com/Sunnyside2010 ... e2010.html 

Albert

Lisa Ryan
Lisa Ryan

August 8th, 2010, 9:12 pm #9

It sounds like the best way to pay tribute to Bix, if one happens to be in New York on August 6, is to make a personal pilgrimage to 43-30 46th Street and forget about the organized event. It's really too bad that the sad occasion of Bix's death has been turned into a street fair.

Glenda Childress
Glenda Childress

August 20th, 2010, 2:44 pm #10

It's fine to have an outdoor concert; Bix's life and music should be celebrated and played for people's enjoyment and for dancing, but the candlelight vigil should be done after dark as well on the same day, or even better, perhaps the night before. That way it would be like the New Orleans funerals, with respect before the service and a joyful celebration of the person's life afterward.

Perhaps the bands will actually improve next time.