Remembering Bix

Remembering Bix

Ken Bristow
Ken Bristow

August 6th, 2012, 9:32 am #1

81 years ago today, and a gifted young man's life tragically ended before his time. But his music lives on, from the joyous Gang sides to the sad "I'll be a friend with pleasure".

August 7th, 2012, 12:58 pm #2

.... from Moline to Chicago and from Chicago to LaGuardia. I had my faithful laptop with me where I keep lots of mp3s of Bix recordings. I played a few and ended up with "I'll Be A Friend With Pleasure."

I also thought a lot about Bix as I was going over the article about Alice and Bix that Chris and I are writing (almost done!!!). Of course, Alice helped Bix move to Sunnyside, where he lived the last few weeks of his brief life. RIP Bix.

Albert

August 7th, 2012, 1:06 pm #3

.... here is a video of the <span>Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Concert, Sunnyside 2012, organized by Paul Maringelli on the weekend nearest Bix's day of passing, Aug 6, 1931.</span>

<span>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow-2ERG6UM8</span>

<span>Albert</span>

Hal smith
Hal smith

August 7th, 2012, 2:35 pm #4

I did not go this year it was too hot, sorry to say after watching the video, the music was not. Could have been if Bix played bop.

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

August 7th, 2012, 3:30 pm #5

.... from Moline to Chicago and from Chicago to LaGuardia. I had my faithful laptop with me where I keep lots of mp3s of Bix recordings. I played a few and ended up with "I'll Be A Friend With Pleasure."

I also thought a lot about Bix as I was going over the article about Alice and Bix that Chris and I are writing (almost done!!!). Of course, Alice helped Bix move to Sunnyside, where he lived the last few weeks of his brief life. RIP Bix.

Albert
It'll be fascinating, Albert-- can't wait to see it.

Laura

Hal Smith (drummer)
Hal Smith (drummer)

August 8th, 2012, 2:55 am #6

I did not go this year it was too hot, sorry to say after watching the video, the music was not. Could have been if Bix played bop.
Just want to remind everyone that there is more than one "Hal Smith" posting here.
As far as I'm concerned, the music at the 2012 Festival was outstanding -- particularly Andy Schumm and his Flatland Gang, Josh Duffee and his Orchestra and the Dave Bennett Quartet. And of course it was a great pleasure to play with the Jim Cullum Jazz Band at the festival, at Bix's grave and in the First Presbyterian Church in Davenport, where Bix was baptized.

Glenda Childress
Glenda Childress

August 8th, 2012, 11:24 pm #7

To be fair to that other (non-drummer) Hal Smith, he was probably remarking about the Sunnyside, Queens Memorial concert, not the Bix Festival in Davenport, where there certainly was HOT traditional jazz, some of which was produced by the beat of drummer Hal Smith. Somehow, Andy Schumm and Josh Duffee just keep getting better, and all the bands I heard were solid.

Hot weather shouldn't keep anyone away from Davenport. The weather outside was seasonably warm, nowhere near triple digits, and the two inside venues--the Rivercenter and the Adler Theatre--were comfortably cool. Sound and lighting in the Adler were perfect, and the seats there were quite comfy, too!

hal smith
hal smith

August 13th, 2012, 1:53 am #8

It'll be fascinating, Albert-- can't wait to see it.

Laura
Thanks Glenda