Pronunciation Help

Pronunciation Help

Jennie Oh
Jennie Oh

July 10th, 2017, 10:57 pm #1

Hello!

I'm an on-air volunteer at a public radio station. I'm currently the jazz show host and although I have always had a fondness for Fats Waller, my quest for new (old) music has led me to some great finds. However, I want to do the right thing and pronounce the names right.

I saw that you had a great many questions already answered so I was relieved to read I've been pronouncing "Beiderbecke" the way that was explained in this forum. Jean Goldkette was another, so thanks! However, here's one I'm stuck on: Muggsy Spanier.

Do I say "SPAN-yer" or "span-YAY?" Or something different?

Let me know your thoughts. Neat forum!

Joe Mosbrook
Joe Mosbrook

July 11th, 2017, 12:57 am #2

SPAN-yer.

Fred
Fred

July 11th, 2017, 2:39 am #3

Pronunciation rules aren't as definitely applied to proper nouns, though... family names being one instance. The person with the name is the last word on how it's pronounced.

Jennie Oh
Jennie Oh

July 11th, 2017, 3:50 pm #4

...but I can't exactly ask Muggsy, unfortunately! Instead I have to rely on his fans and those who knew him.

In any case, I assume long-time aficionados of early jazz are a better bet than me

Thanks!

Jennie Oh
Jennie Oh

July 11th, 2017, 3:51 pm #5

SPAN-yer.
Thank you, Joe!

That was how I wanted to pronounce it. I appreciate the help!

Fred
Fred

July 11th, 2017, 6:27 pm #6

...but I can't exactly ask Muggsy, unfortunately! Instead I have to rely on his fans and those who knew him.

In any case, I assume long-time aficionados of early jazz are a better bet than me

Thanks!
On the subject of jazz piano, albeit contemporary, possibly this is of interest. Saw her once onstage at the piano with Mingus Big Band.

The following links to an episode of Piano Jazz radio program from 2012, and Sung speaking with Marian McPartland.

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/29/102648227 ... piano-jazz