Photos

Photos

Malcolm Walton
Malcolm Walton

April 30th, 2009, 5:05 pm #1

I have now prepared some frames from the Fox movietone film. I have tried to send these to you Albert but it keeps coming back as undeliverable. Could you do me a favour please and send me an email to which I will reply with the photos. Perhaps I have an out of date email address for you.
Malcolm

April 30th, 2009, 6:57 pm #2

.... a message using my albertahim@yahoo.com e-mail address.

Let's see what happens.

Albert

May 1st, 2009, 10:49 am #3

I have now prepared some frames from the Fox movietone film. I have tried to send these to you Albert but it keeps coming back as undeliverable. Could you do me a favour please and send me an email to which I will reply with the photos. Perhaps I have an out of date email address for you.
Malcolm

Thanks to Malcolm for all his thoughtful postings on this and other subjects.

Albert

Malcolm Walton
Malcolm Walton

May 1st, 2009, 1:22 pm #4

Just to add, for those who are wondering what this relates to, that these photos are a follow up to the correspondance on this forum between 14th Apr and 18th Apr concerning Bix's cornet played on the Fox Movietone Film.
Malcolm

May 1st, 2009, 11:28 pm #5

Thanks to Malcolm for all his thoughtful postings on this and other subjects.

Albert
.... by pointing out missing features in very blurry photos.

I noticed that you used the youtube video to take photos of the cornet.

I decided to take photos of the TV screen when playing the "At the Jazz Band Ball" DVD. The image is not much better than what you provided, but in this paricular frame, I think I see the brace that connects to the bell.

For comparison, I "blurred" a photo of the real Bix Bach Stradivarius. Here is the image at an angle similar to the one in the Fox still.

The brace is clearly visible and seems to be in the same postion as the shadow I see in the still of the Fox film.

What do you think?

Albert

Malcolm Walton
Malcolm Walton

May 2nd, 2009, 9:51 am #6

As I had said in the earlier correspondance, it is important to differentiate between shadows, clothing seen in the gaps between the tubing and the actual instrument. Which is why a pristine copy of the film would help enourmously. However, I think it must be true to say that if the stay is visible in one frame it must also be visible in others. If it is possible to enhance the two frames that I have uploaded to show that there is some evidence of a stay, then the case is closed perhaps. In these two frames I have loaded, from the quality of the film that I copied from, there is absolutely no evidence of this stay. In fact you can see right through that part of the instrument to Bix's shirt etc. In one of them you can see the point of his shirt collar in the gap where the stay should be. Were it there,it would just have to be visible as the light is shining on top of the the two parallel tubes and would therefore shine on the stay. This is why I maintain that we are looking at shadow, rather than instrument, in the frame that was previously loaded and that Albert has now re-loaded.
I do look forward to any better copies of the two frames I have loaded which might after all show the stay. There are of course, the other feature that do not tally with a Bach, e.g. the curvature of the bell pipe, etc. but obviously if there is the "Bach" stay in evidence throughout the film then it can't be a Holton.
Malcolm

May 3rd, 2009, 8:47 pm #7

I am going to take photos of the cornet in various positions and see if the brace or stay can be seen in more than one frame. I will use the DVD which has better resolution than the youtube video. In addition, and the TV screen is bigger than the computer screen.

Albert

May 4th, 2009, 1:30 pm #8

Thanks to the generosity of Enrico, here is a high resolution close-up of only Bix and his Martin cornet(from the photo of the Rhythm Jugglers) on Jan 26, 1925 in the Gennett Studios in Richmond IN.

Enrico writes, "you can see the buttefly screw of the tunable leadpipe of the Martin cornet." Thank you, Enrico.

The Rhythm Jugglers recorded the immortal Bix composition "Davenport Blues" in this recording session.

Here is Ben Denison's painting "Rehearsing Davenport Blues."

You can see five musicians, Bix, Tommy Dorsey, Paul Mertz, DonMurray and Howdy Quicksell. Actually, Quicksell did not play in "Davenport Blues." Tommy Gargano did (drums), but is not in the painting.

Albert

May 4th, 2009, 5:51 pm #9

I am going to take photos of the cornet in various positions and see if the brace or stay can be seen in more than one frame. I will use the DVD which has better resolution than the youtube video. In addition, and the TV screen is bigger than the computer screen.

Albert
.... be available.

Albert

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

May 5th, 2009, 2:52 am #10

Thanks to the generosity of Enrico, here is a high resolution close-up of only Bix and his Martin cornet(from the photo of the Rhythm Jugglers) on Jan 26, 1925 in the Gennett Studios in Richmond IN.

Enrico writes, "you can see the buttefly screw of the tunable leadpipe of the Martin cornet." Thank you, Enrico.

The Rhythm Jugglers recorded the immortal Bix composition "Davenport Blues" in this recording session.

Here is Ben Denison's painting "Rehearsing Davenport Blues."

You can see five musicians, Bix, Tommy Dorsey, Paul Mertz, DonMurray and Howdy Quicksell. Actually, Quicksell did not play in "Davenport Blues." Tommy Gargano did (drums), but is not in the painting.

Albert
what a terrific enlargement of that photo! Very detailed- can even see how his mouth and cheeks looked while playing.