Photo of Eddie King?

Photo of Eddie King?

Flemming Thorbye
Flemming Thorbye

August 13th, 2006, 7:16 pm #1

In all my Bix biographies I've never seen a photo of Eddie King (Victor Talking Machine Company). Is there any?
Do you know his data of birth and death?
And the most interesting question:
Did he at ever in his lifetime realise what big mistake it was, not letting Bix record his great music?

Flemming

August 13th, 2006, 11:48 pm #2

.... biographical information about Eddie King. All the references I have seen have to do with King supervising various recording sessions. There is another Eddie King, a musician -drummer and band leader. As I was googling "Eddie King" the Victor record (and later Columbia) supervisor, I seem to recollect that the musician Eddie King is the father of guitarist Charles King and grandfather of Sonny King.

Albert

Scott
Scott

August 14th, 2006, 1:57 am #3

Somewhere in Bix Man and Legend there is a physical description of King as related by either Paul Mertz or Bill Challis. My copy is not with me at the moment so I cannot make proper citations. I think the description was something like a bull with a big can. King was supposedly anti-jazz yet he appears on a couple of sides done by the ODJB in 1921 or 1922. He apparently was with Victor since the early 1900's and then moved over to Columbia in the mid 1920's. I have never seen any biographical information on him anywhere and as thus have to rely on musician recollections, the majority of which are not positive.

I don't know whether King operated out of Manhattan or Camden but perhaps a check of those city directories may yield some information. He was great friends with John McDonald also known as Harry Macdonough so I think we can assume he was born in the same age bracket as Macdonough (which was 1871).

Anyone else have any info?

Andrew Vaaler
Andrew Vaaler

August 14th, 2006, 5:32 pm #4

.... biographical information about Eddie King. All the references I have seen have to do with King supervising various recording sessions. There is another Eddie King, a musician -drummer and band leader. As I was googling "Eddie King" the Victor record (and later Columbia) supervisor, I seem to recollect that the musician Eddie King is the father of guitarist Charles King and grandfather of Sonny King.

Albert
Albert, you know this stuff better than anybody around. In your opinion, is the famous Eddie King story -- he gives Bix the hook for playing too hot on "I Didn't Know" -- is it fact, myth, or somewhere in between? Although Bix's solo is interesting on that record, I don't think it was very "hot", at least not compared to his other recorded output up to that time.

Albert Haim
Albert Haim

August 14th, 2006, 6:16 pm #5

.... is very difficult- (you put me on the spot with your words of praise), I need to find out if there are two Eddie Kings, one the recording supervisor, the other the musician, pianist, drummer, or could they be one and the same? Brian Rust makes no distinction between two Eddie Kings.

Albert

Sven Bjerstedt
Sven Bjerstedt

August 14th, 2006, 9:06 pm #6

Sven Bjerstedt
Sven Bjerstedt

August 14th, 2006, 9:09 pm #7

.... will be easier to find if you click "I Don't Know" after following the link http://ms.cc.sunysb.edu/~alhaim/archive ... n't%20Know.

Sven Bjerstedt
Sven Bjerstedt

August 14th, 2006, 9:53 pm #8

.... contains useful information?
http://www.loc.gov/catdir/toc/fy045/2004272755.html

Sven Bjerstedt
Sven Bjerstedt

August 14th, 2006, 10:12 pm #9

.... on organ and Nat Shilkret on chimes accompanied the Finnish tenor Juho Koskelo on this 1919 recording of a Christmas song: http://www.fiftyrecords.com/kauppa/amcd ... laulut.htm

August 14th, 2006, 10:56 pm #10

.... contains useful information?
http://www.loc.gov/catdir/toc/fy045/2004272755.html
.... in 1991. It is a terrific book. The emphasis is on the manufacturing acivities rather than the recording activities of Victor, although there is information about the latter. The book has no index! I went page by page through the chapters with the possibility of mentions of Eddie King, but met with abject failure. Good suggestion, though.

We discussed Eddie King several times in the forum. Search under "Eddie King" you'll get dozens of hits.

My conclusion at the time was that the bad temper and poor taste of Eddie King were highly exaggerated. I hope to have some time to summarize my views before I leave for an overseas trip on Thursday.

Albert