One of my favorite photos of Bix.

One of my favorite photos of Bix.

November 6th, 2011, 5:26 pm #1

A close-up from the photo of the Wolverines with Bix examining the test pressing of "Tiger Rag."

And here is the entire photo.

Albert

Ken Bristow
Ken Bristow

November 7th, 2011, 2:07 am #2

This is the first time I've seen his famous centre parting in close-up!
What brand of hair oil did he use, I wonder?

David Logue
David Logue

November 7th, 2011, 12:48 pm #3

A close-up from the photo of the Wolverines with Bix examining the test pressing of "Tiger Rag."

And here is the entire photo.

Albert
This is one of my favorite pictures of Bix too.

There is something about this picture that sets it apart from so many of the other photos of Bix.

I don't know if it's the clarity of the picture or what, but aside from everyone's hair and clothing styles, it looks like it could have been taken yesterday.

Glenda Childress
Glenda Childress

November 7th, 2011, 1:59 pm #4

This is the first time I've seen his famous centre parting in close-up!
What brand of hair oil did he use, I wonder?
I agree that this one is a new view of Bix. I've seen this entire photo quite a few times, but the close up gives a quite different aspect. I was first struck with how very young Bix was when this photo was taken. Even though I knew he was only twenty when he made "Fidgety Feet" and "Jazz Me Blues," his youth (just over 21) really shows in this enlargement. I never noticed his eyelashes, for example, and the boyish look around the eyes really shows up here more than in the more formal shots.

Regarding the hair oil question, what I'd like would be to see what he looked like without that stuff! The informal snapshots at the Rhythm Jugglers session seems to be the closest approximation of an un-slicked-back Bix.

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

November 7th, 2011, 3:50 pm #5

This is one of my favorite pictures of Bix too.

There is something about this picture that sets it apart from so many of the other photos of Bix.

I don't know if it's the clarity of the picture or what, but aside from everyone's hair and clothing styles, it looks like it could have been taken yesterday.
I remember this was posted back in October 2006. i actually printed it out and slipped it into the sleeve of my Bix and the Wolverines LP set. It seemed so appropriate. Up close ones sees the clarity of the long eyelashes, the cheekbones, the clear complexion and just the general fresh vital health of a 21-year-old boy with a most appealing, shyly modest smile. Of course this goes without saying, but I'll remark upon it anyway: If it hadn't been for the drinking, Bix certainly would have kept his good looks well into middle-age,; he had the bone structure.

Laura

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

November 7th, 2011, 7:46 pm #6

if poor Bix had lived!