Nice online story about the Firehouse Five Plus Two

Nice online story about the Firehouse Five Plus Two

Mark Gabrish Conlan
Mark Gabrish Conlan

February 10th, 2018, 2:40 am #1

https://www.mouseplanet.com/8819/The_Se ... e_Plus_Two

A few musicians' names are misspelled, and the final paragraph reveals that the audience for it (from a Web site called "Mouse Planet") was Disney lovers rather than jazz fans, but nonetheless a quite revealing article and as fun as the Firehouse Five Plus Two's music itself.

A Frank Question
A Frank Question

February 11th, 2018, 4:09 pm #2

Why does this band get so much $#!+ from critics? Its music sounds lively, well-executed, at time humorous and always sincere to me. So why have I read/heard people dismiss this band so easily?

February 11th, 2018, 9:55 pm #3

.... jazz snobs and they are full of what you know. For them, if it is not what they view as jazz, it's no good. Ignore them, leave them twisting in the wind.

Albert

Aristotle
Aristotle

February 12th, 2018, 11:51 am #4

Logically, that means there is no standard by which the worth of anything can be judged.

Laurie Carr
Laurie Carr

February 12th, 2018, 2:16 pm #5

No. It just means you either like it or you don't.

Mark Gabrish Conlan
Mark Gabrish Conlan

February 16th, 2018, 11:24 pm #6

It's an easy trap to fall into to read about a work of art -- a book, a painting, a film, a play, a piece of music -- and allow the perception of other, presumably expert critics to judge it for you so you either avoid it altogether or are prejudiced against it when you do experience it. I can vividly remember my experience when, after reading the reams of patronizing crap with which Duke Ellington's "Black, Brown and Beige" had been dismissed, Ellington's complete 1943 recording was finally released -- and I heard a symphonic masterpiece of a breadth, scope and power neither the critical comments nor the shards he had got to record commercially had prepared me for.