NEWS FLASH: Davenport, Iowa Wiped Off The Map!

NEWS FLASH: Davenport, Iowa Wiped Off The Map!

Brad Kay
Brad Kay

March 16th, 2011, 12:25 am #1

Glad Bix wasn't around to see this:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/town-o ... recentnews

Glenda Childress
Glenda Childress

March 16th, 2011, 1:49 am #2

And we thought an earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear meltdown was bad! I guess the folks in Japan just danced on Sunday.

alex revell
alex revell

March 16th, 2011, 11:41 am #3

The problem is that there are people who will believe that it actually happened. Or worse, could happen. What to us is extremely funny will unfortunately fuel other people's irrational prejudices.

Laura Demilio
Laura Demilio

March 16th, 2011, 4:28 pm #4

After picking myself up off the floor from laughing, I thought the same thing: there are enough mean, intolerant nuts out there who would either believe this or think it SHOULD happen!

Laura

March 16th, 2011, 9:52 pm #5

Glad Bix wasn't around to see this:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/town-o ... recentnews
I state categorically that I do not find this piece amusing at all. In fact, to me, the piece is strongly offensive, and, to boot, quite stupid.

Albert

Jamaica
Jamaica

March 16th, 2011, 10:19 pm #6

Two wrongs don't make a right, that's for sure. They're painting with a very broad brush.

John Rowland
John Rowland

March 17th, 2011, 10:28 am #7

The problem is that there are people who will believe that it actually happened. Or worse, could happen. What to us is extremely funny will unfortunately fuel other people's irrational prejudices.
There are always a certain number of people who fall for the comedic "news" stories of The Onion, no matter how ridiculous. In fact, that is now the first thing I look for when somebody posts a story that seems too incredible to believe. As an example, the recent announcement of AOL buying The Huffington Post for multi-millions of dollars. It seemed much too stupid to be true, but alas, it wasn't The Onion this time.

alex revell
alex revell

March 17th, 2011, 1:22 pm #8

I state categorically that I do not find this piece amusing at all. In fact, to me, the piece is strongly offensive, and, to boot, quite stupid.

Albert
Albert. Well said. I thoroughly agree.

Brad Kay
Brad Kay

March 17th, 2011, 4:03 pm #9

Actually, by now this Onion piece seems eerily prescient of what actually is going on in Japan!

About the Onion brand of humor: It is harsh. There is always irony and bitter truth in almost every story. In this case, there are plenty of people in this country who truly believe that sanctioned gay marriage provokes the Wrath of the Lord. The Onion hangs them out to dry by making their fondest dream literally come true, with sober and reporterly detail. This is what is known as satire.

Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Children of Poor People in Ireland From Being a Burden to Their Parents or Country, and for Making Them Beneficial to the Public," published in 1729, is precisely the same sort of piece, and even nastier. And the style goes back to Rome and Greece, if not the stone age.

The Onion's choice of Davenport as the focal point of heavenly retribution was funny because of Davenport's reputation as a provincial, conservative midwestern town, a sister city to Peoria, Waukegan or Podunk. The same joke, set in L. A. or New York or San Francisco, wouldn't scan at all.

-Brad Kay

March 17th, 2011, 8:09 pm #10

.... literature and in graphic arts. It is a powerful weapon in fighting folly and idiocy. But the satirical work must disparage a view that is important. What some religious nuts believe is not worth the time and effort that an intelligent person must spend in denouncing their folly/idiocy/irrationality. Moreover, satire must be clever, literate, subtle as well as abrasive, direct as well as complex. The piece about Davenport is primitive and dumb, not even at the level of a college sophomore.

Give me the old time religion of  Ray Bradbury's "Farenheidt 451" and Aldous Huxley's "A Brave New World," superb examples of satire.

Albert