Musician at 14

Musician at 14

January 14th, 2018, 10:10 pm #1

Red Nichols and his sister Dorothy are described as orchestra musicians in the 1920 US Census although they were 14 and 16! I think this is extraordinary, The father is described as college musician.

1920 US Census documents in https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=re

Albert

Link to the Record Research Souvenir issue.
https://ia800707.us.archive.org/5/items ... 2/RR12.pdf

Coscannon
Coscannon

January 15th, 2018, 6:46 pm #2

...a member of his father's concert dance band. Returning to Utah, at age 15, he joined Jack Bowering's orchestra.

January 15th, 2018, 10:30 pm #3

The US census files do not list an occupation for most (I guess 99 %) youngsters.
Albert

Coscannon
Coscannon

January 16th, 2018, 12:10 am #4

... if you look at the 1910 Nichols family census, you see that Red's two eldest sisters, then aged 12 and 14, are both listed as "scholars". The same designation is affixed to the 15 and 16 year 8kd Woods progeny and 14 year old Ellen Andrews. 16- year old Joe Andrews is a delivery boy.

Coscannon
Coscannon

January 16th, 2018, 12:29 am #5

The US census files do not list an occupation for most (I guess 99 %) youngsters.
Albert
... and perhaps the Nichols family pride. By contrast,if you look at the 1910 Nichols family census, you see that Red's two eldest sisters, then aged 12 and 14, are both listed as "scholars". I suspect that simply means they attend school but it is listed as an occupation. The same scholarly designation is affixed to the 15- and 16-year old Woods progeny and 14-year old Ellen Andrews. 16-year old Joe Andrews is however listed as a delivery boy. I see no scholars in similarly aged progeny in the 1920 census. And yet I see progeny of the same age and younger who no doubt attend school. A less conscientious census worker possibly?

What concerns me more about the 1910 census is Charles Iverson: a saloon keeper! (His parents came from Denmark.) And Parker Sherwood is apparently a professional gambler! His parents' place of origin is unknown.

Coscannon
Coscannon

January 16th, 2018, 12:29 am #6

Albert
... and perhaps the Nichols family pride. By contrast,if you look at the 1910 Nichols family census, you see that Red's two eldest sisters, then aged 12 and 14, are both listed as "scholars". I suspect that simply means they attend school but it is listed as an occupation. The same scholarly designation is affixed to the 15- and 16-year old Woods progeny and 14-year old Ellen Andrews. 16-year old Joe Andrews is however listed as a delivery boy. I see no scholars in similarly aged progeny in the 1920 census. And yet I see progeny of the same age and younger who no doubt attend school. A less conscientious census worker possibly?

What concerns me more about the 1910 census is Charles Iverson: a saloon keeper! (His parents came from Denmark.) And Parker Sherwood is apparently a professional gambler! His parents' place of origin is unknown.

Coscannon
Coscannon

January 16th, 2018, 12:29 am #7

Albert

Coscannon
Coscannon

January 16th, 2018, 12:37 am #8

Albert
entirely necessary. The first was something I entered but did not send before I took a phone call. When I returned to the unfinished message, I gave more info but the reply link seemed stuck. When the screen stayed unchanged, I pressed reply ... more than once. I think there IS a delay happening here. But I'm sorry about the unintended clutter.

Phone is at fault but as its owner, I take responsibility.

Jim Petersen
Jim Petersen

January 17th, 2018, 7:05 pm #9

Red Nichols and his sister Dorothy are described as orchestra musicians in the 1920 US Census although they were 14 and 16! I think this is extraordinary, The father is described as college musician.

1920 US Census documents in https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=re

Albert

Link to the Record Research Souvenir issue.
https://ia800707.us.archive.org/5/items ... 2/RR12.pdf
Wasn't Benny Goodman 14 when he joined up with Bix? Maybe not listed as a musician in the census, but he surely was one!

Jim Petersen (who just arrived home after taking a small group through the Bix museum)

January 18th, 2018, 1:24 am #10

Goodman was listed as "head," occupation "theatrical musician."

Guess who was his lodger? James McPartland, also "theatrical musician."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Benny and Jimmy recorded over 100 numbers together. One of my favorites is "Blue" with highly Bixian solos by Benny (sax) and Jimmy (cornet).
Benny Goodman's Boys : Benny Goodman (cl-1,as-2,bar-3,cnt-4) Jimmy McPartland (cnt) Glenn Miller (tb) Fud Livingston (cl, ts) Tommy Dorsey (tb-5) Vic Briedis (p) Dick Morgan (g) Harry Goodman (tu) Ben Pollack (d)
New York, June 4, 1928

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGp3EgWh25k

Albert