Most of you are aware of John Otto's astute discovery that ....

Most of you are aware of John Otto's astute discovery that ....

December 22nd, 2011, 1:37 pm #1

.... Bix's cornet solo in the Wolverines' <em>Riverboat Shufffle </em>was copied by Bobby Davis in his alto sax solo in <font size="3"><em>She Loves Me </em>by the High Society Seven (pseudonym for the California Ramblers). </font>

[color=#800080" size="2" face="Arial]<span class="yshortcuts">bixography.com/SheLovesMeCalRambRob.wma  <font color="#000000" size="3" face="Times">Courtesy of Rob. [/color]</span></font>
<div>[color=#000000" size="3" face="Times]<span class="yshortcuts">Does anyone know of a clarinet or saxophone solo where the soloist copies or at least is highly inspired by Bix's cornet solo in the Wolverines' <em>Royal Garden Blues</em>?</span>[/color]</div><div> </div><div>Albert[color=#800080" size="2" face="Arial]<span class="yshortcuts"></span>[/color]</div>

Barb Wascher
Barb Wascher

December 27th, 2011, 3:13 pm #2

This has nothing to do with reeds, but just for the hell of it I'll reiterate that Bix himself quoted his own solo from the Wolverines' Royal Garden Blues in his intro to Davenport Blues. Hoagy Carmichael later quoted the same phrase (set to the the lyric "Haven't you heard the music...") in his own "Skylark."

(And since today marks the 30th anniversary of Hoagy's death, I hope some of you will join me in raising a glass -- perhaps just a little nip of Scotch -- to my favorite Hoosier. Remember, it's always 5 o'clock somewhere. And no matter where you go, there you are. Lang may your lum reek, Hogwash.)

Glenda Childress
Glenda Childress

December 28th, 2011, 1:22 am #3

...And raise that nip to the strains of "Hoosier Sweetheart," Barbara?

Barb Wascher
Barb Wascher

December 28th, 2011, 2:31 am #4

Could be, Glenda. Could be.

...of course, there is that mixed message about equine posteriors to consider...