Memphis Syncopaters

Memphis Syncopaters

May 14th, 2012, 1:41 pm #1

<div>Several years ago I was going through some old photos at my aunt's home and came across this neat photo of a band called The Memphis Syncopaters. </div><div> </div><div></div><div> </div><div>I was curious how it ended up within their photos because I wasn't aware of anyone in the family being in a jazz band.  However, my mother's uncle ran a music store in Indiana in the 1910's and 1920's and she told me that it probably came from him. </div><div> </div><div>I know nothing of this band. Does anybody else? </div><div> </div><div>After googling, the only thing I discovered was some information about them playing in Sarasota, Florida on a vaudeville circuit in 1932.  The photo looks to be of an earlier period. </div><div> </div><div>The photo is in storage at the moment, so I don't have access to it, but there were some notes on the back I believe from my grandmother.  Whenever I get it out of storage I will be happy to provide the additional information.
</div><div>David </div>

hal smith
hal smith

May 14th, 2012, 2:50 pm #2

great balls of fire!!! i think you found an early photo of the jerry lee lewis band

May 14th, 2012, 3:05 pm #3

David Logue
David Logue

May 14th, 2012, 3:58 pm #4

Thanks for the additional info, Albert.

My mom's uncle was named Guy Conklin and the music store he owned was in Fort Wayne (very close to Logansport). Her dad worked there as well, as a piano tuner.

Somewhere I have a picture of the interior of the store, which is pretty neat. If I can find it I will have it posted.

My mom told me a lot of big name musicians came through Fort Wayne and probably used his store. Unfortunately, she couldn't provide me with any names and my grandfather passed away before I was born.

I have my mom to thank for my interest in music and, specifically, jazz. Her dad, no doubt, instilled the interest in her.

May 14th, 2012, 5:51 pm #5

Your mom's uncle had the following ad in the Wayne Journal Gazette.
<font size="3" face="Arial"></font><p align="left">PIANO BARGAINS.
<font face="Times New Roman"></font><p align="left">Dayton Piano, used a few months, at $165.
<p align="left">Harvard Piano, in first class condition,
<p align="left">at $175. New Pianos at $185.
<p align="left">It's a fine piano for the money.
<p align="left">GUY CONKLIS,

1008 Calhoun St.

David Logue
David Logue

May 14th, 2012, 7:05 pm #6

Nice! Thanks, Albert!

I wonder if Howdy Quicksell ever stopped in, since Fort Wayne was his home town.