Louie & Bix record

Louie & Bix record

Jim Baldwin
Jim Baldwin

June 29th, 2010, 12:28 pm #1

In the past I've heard the rumor that Louie and Bix played together in some private jam sessions. What are the book references?

I bring this up because an associate claims to have purchased some records which had among them a private recording of LA and BB playing together. He has offered to show it to me sometime. He called it a "wax master." How likely is such a thing to exist? I guess this would be the holy grail of record collecting.

June 29th, 2010, 2:21 pm #2

I never read anywhere that Bix and Louis had recorded together. Such recording, or at least the rumor that such a recording  exists, would have been mentioned in Terry Teachout's book or in Randy Sandke's book. I read both books, but do not remember any mention of a Louis-Bix record. I hope your associate comes up with the goods and that it will be possible to put on-line for everyone to hear whatever that "wax master" is.

There is good evidence that Bix and Louis jammed together in Chicago in early July when the Whiteman orchestra spent time in Chicago.. Evans and Evans provide quotes from Louis and Izzy Friedman to that effect.

We discussed possible recordings of Red and Bix several times.

Albert

Brad Kay
Brad Kay

July 1st, 2010, 9:01 am #3

Louis and Bix had a golden opportunity to make a joint record. This would have been for OKeh in Chicago during the first week of July, 1928. Quoth the ledger:

On Thursday, July 5th:

Frankie Trumbauer & his Orchestra
W400089 Bless You, Sister!
W400090 Dusky Stevedore

Louis Armstrong & his Hot Five
W400091 Knee Drops

Carroll Dickerson's Savoyagers
W400092 Symphonic Raps
W400093 Savoyager's Stomp

Then on Saturday, July 7th:

Bix Beiderbecke & his Gang
W400094 Ol' Man River
W400095 Wa Da Da

It would seem that any day that week, had they been so inclined, "Louis and Bix and Their Hot Six" could have peeled the paper off the walls at the OKeh studio. Friday, for instance...

-Brad K

Brad Kay
Brad Kay

July 2nd, 2010, 8:08 am #4

The matrix numbers listed above should have been W400989, et sequitor.

-BK